• Crunching@EVGA
  • Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA (p.2)
2013/04/30 07:42:39
Viper97
Reading all of this reminded me to turn on my BOINC client on my home machine.  It's been idle since March Madness and that just won't do!

Nice to see you Jini on the Crunching team... PM me and I'll send you some swag.
2013/04/30 07:57:00
Afterburner
Updated the first post 
2013/04/30 08:04:54
jinihammerer
I will mess with this when i have time at home.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are very busy days for me. I wear a bunch of different hats for work, unfortunately only one of them actually pays.

I am a control systems engineer / site safety manager / webmaster / graphic artist / promotions committee chairperson.... and all my meetings happen on tuesday and wednesday.

2014/01/11 09:02:06
madcattt
Hey all,
     So I just signed up for crunching with WCG and have the BOINC client downloaded onto both of my computers.  One thing I have noticed is unlike [link=mailto:F@H]F@H[/link] client I don't see any indication of the number of GPUs the client has detected, and which ones, if any, are in use.  I've got dual GTX 590s in my main rig, and usually when I'm gaming I pause my CPU and one of my GPU work units so that I don't have any resource issues.  I was just wondering if there was a way to configure my setup so I can crunch on my CPU and one of my GPUs while folding on the other three.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
2014/01/11 09:04:12
bcavnaugh
I use BOINC Account Manager (BAM!) http://boincstats.com/en/bam/ as well.
2014/01/11 09:29:30
texinga
Unless I've missed it, I don't think that BOINC, the Manager or the Profile settings at WCG will allow you to designate a single GPU for Crunching.  I think it will want to Crunch on all available GPUs in a given PC.  I know on the CPU side, within the WCG Device Manager settings, you can designate how many "Processor" threads you want to assign.  But, I've not seen any controls that govern just specific GPU devices.
2014/01/11 09:39:31
bcavnaugh
texinga
Unless I've missed it, I don't think that BOINC, the Manager or the Profile settings at WCG will allow you to designate a single GPU for Crunching.  I think it will want to Crunch on all available GPUs in a given PC.  I know on the CPU side, within the WCG Device Manager settings, you can designate how many "Processor" threads you want to assign.  But, I've not seen any controls that govern just specific GPU devices.

No, I have not found a way to as well. At least Folding you can.
I have only found a way to use less cores on my Crunching Rigs that only use CPU and Fold on the GPUs.

Has anyone found a way to setup GPUGRID to use one or two GPU, I have been looking but have not yet found a way.
I would like to Only Crunch on one or two of the 3 Cards I have installed.
2014/01/11 10:46:24
madcattt
Alright, thanks for the info.  I just wanted to make sure that I was not missing any specific setting somewhere.
2014/03/03 05:08:24
kckinwa
Ok so I am a complete noob when it comes to Crunching, ( I did not even know that it existed ) I have been folding for 3 years now and have been using 2 of my Pcs to fold, and now I stumbled across this thread and am like a kid in a candy store, ooh ooh ooh I gotta do that. Soooo I just built my 3rd rig and would like to toss some hardware at crunching, what ever that is.......BUT i do want to continue to fold as well. My system setups are as follows PC 1) Asus Maximus - Intel I-7 4770k - 2 EVGA GTX 760 FTW SLI -2 Samsung 840 pro 128 SSD's in raid 0 - 1 Samsung 840 Pro 512 SSD - WD Black 1 TB 64mb cache - 32 gig Corsair Vengeance 2400 - Rosewill 1000 watt PSU ( looking to upgrade to the EVGA 1000 P2 as soon as EVGA has them in stock )...... PC 2) EVGA X 58 Sli 3 - Intel I-7 960 - EVGA GTX 560 ti - 2 Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe SSD's in raid 0- WD Raptor 300 gig - 12 gig Mushkin Redline 1600..... PC 3) EVGA X 58 Sli - Intel I-7 920 - 12 gig Corsair Dominator 1600 - WD Black 1 TB 64mb cache - GTX 260. So what hardware would be most effective and doing what remember I still want to fold although the points have just risen to 1,500,000. max per month So I was thinking I would have to use 2 of my machines for folding to hit that number. Any advice would be great. PS as soon as I get my new PSU I will be more focused on crunching than folding, as I understand it folding is for medical research and crunching is for mining.....is that correct? If so then the crunching@ evga team is actually a pool and who is collecting the mined coin? Is it being distributed to its members or donated?  DISREGARD the last question I just looked it up it appears to be essentially FAH but with more options and not just proteins.
2014/03/03 05:13:57
Viper97
Pretty much any hardware is good... one thing you'll notice is Crunching isn't as hard on the system as folding is.  (Although a few Prime Grid WU's are a bear.)

I'm on a 3820 @ stock with 16 gigs of ram and 2 670's... works just fine.  I also have a 4 P machine (6168's) with 32 GIG of RAM waiting for a new drive to come in so I can move it to crunching.

As you can see it's just standard stuff for the most part.  The beauty of crunching is we don't get QRB for work.  It's straight points so there isn't a 'build it faster to get a better QRB mentality'.  You just install BOINC and roll...

As far as mining goes... there are some who do mine but Crunching didn't start as a mining operation but more like folding with a wide assortment of things you can Crunch... like Asteroids, Prime Numbers, Cancers etc.  We (at least that I am aware of) do not actually have a Crunching@EVGA mining operation.  Not officially any way.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account