• Crunching@EVGA
  • Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA
2012/07/19 10:58:31
Afterburner
*Note*
There is a sticky called "Project Lists" that has links to many of the different BOINC projects; overall there must be hundreds though.  Many of us started with World Community Grid but there are many others listed in that thread.  After signing up on those individual projects' sites, with your user name, and then joining the Crunching@EVGA team on the same site, then you go to step 2. Hope that clears up Step one (Thank you for your help with that wording Punchy!)

Also note, that these steps may change as the software develops. Please feel free to let me know as I do want to keep this thread up to date best we can. Thank you!

Step one...

• Start here... http://join.worldcommunitygrid.org?recruiterId=549285&teamId=3X6C6CKD02 
  • Go to each project(s) that you chose home page and create an account.
  • Then make any and all changes to that project you want made.
    • Gpu Usage? Type? (AMD or NVDIA or both)
    • CPU usage?
    • Internal project options, (Many have multiple projects available)
    • Once complete, "Then" add the project(s) to your BOINC Manager.
    • Each Computer will need one BOINC Manager installed. I only do certain project on certain Computers. This way I can leverage that particular computers strength and maximize the project efficiency. 
 The following is for those who might have missed a step in the above mentioned...

We have noticed a small item that has repeated a few times and would like to offer a friendly reminder.  

First and foremost welcome to your team and thank you for all that you have done and will do in Distributed Computing.

The item we keep seeing is not attaching your work to this team. Each time you start a new project, on that project page you need to search for the team name after creating the account for each project. 

Most of the projects use the same format. In the upper right panel on your main member page (Where you see all you info like Change Preferences/View tasks/ETC) see example below.

You have to search for the team name and then select add/join team.

Now once you have selected the team of your choice, each BOINC manager will see that change the next time you communicate to that project and adjust all future WU's. Keep in mind. All WU's retrieved and stored in BOINC waiting to process or are in process, will not be a part of the numbers for the team. Only new WU's retrieved after the change will take effect.

The best practice for all projects to not have this issue is...

• Create your user name/log in for project.
  • Search team name Crunching@EVGA. (Thank you z3r0t0l0rence )
  • Join Team name.
  • Adjust preferences to your liking for Work and Home (If you so desire)
  • Load BOINC.
  • Attach new project to BOINC.
  • Update new Project.
  • Sit back and enjoy 
Thank you for your help with this as we help humanity and climb the ranks. 

Step two...

Install BOINC Manager.

Now some of you may have done this part first. That is just fine actually. It is suggested to NOT add any project to the BOINC Manager until you have completed all of Step One is all...

• Download the version called "Recommended Version" for your platform (Windows, Linux, ETC) from this (Link Updated 05/23/2020 to version 7.16.5). 
  • Follow the installation process.
  • After downloading BOINC you must install it:
  • Save the file to disk.
  • Double-click on the file icon and or click on Run.
  • Now there are two views for the BOINC Manager. A simple View and an Advanced View. The majority of us use the Advanced View as this gives us all the flexibility we are looking for and "Data" of progress that is a bit easier to understand...

BOINC Manager..se Project

• Notice the two screen shots below. THis is where folks lose points on Crunching@EVGA. The first one allows you to create the user for the selected project. However as soon as you do, and "If" you forgot to add Crunching@EVGA to the project in the "Sign up" of this project, and did not select how you want the project to utilize your system... The BOINC Manager downloads right away the default settings and if that icludes GPU usage, it will download those WU's. It is best to do as suggested above and sign up for all projects, and set them up how you want them to be "First". That takes us to the second screen shot below as you have selected "Yes, existing user"... ***Please note... Yes I know it is asking for the "Email" address. I simply do not want to advertise my email, and used my user name in the screen shots so at least something was there***
BOINC Manager...r project

BOINC Manager...o Project

BOINC Manager...cessfully

• Now there are two views for the BOIN MAnager
  • Looking for a "One unit Mode" type for your BOINC Manager? (Link)

Attached Image(s)

2012/07/19 13:34:53
z3r0t0l0rence
Afterburner

We have noticed a small item that has repeated a few times and would like to offer a friendly reminder. 

First and foremost welcome to your team and thank you for all that you have done and will do in Distributed Computing.

The item we keep seeing is not attaching your work to this team. Each time you start a new project, on that project page you need to search for the team name after creating the account for each project. 

Most of the projects use the same format. In the upper right panel on your main member page (Where you see all you info like Change Preferences/View tasks/ETC) see example below.

You have to search for the team name and then select add/join team.

Now once you have selected the team of your choice, each BOINC manager will see that change the next time you communicate to that project and adjust all future WU's. Keep in mind. All WU's retrieved and stored in BOINC waiting to process or are in process, will not be a part of the numbers for the team. Only new WU's retrieved after the change will take effect.

The best practice for all projects to not have this issue is...

• Create your user name/log in for project.
  • Search team name Crunching@EVGA.
  • Join Team name.
  • Adjust preferences to your liking for Work and Home (If you so desire)
  • Load BOINC.
  • Attach new project to BOINC.
  • Update new Project.
  • Sit back and enjoy 
Thank you for your help with this as we help humanity and climb the ranks. 

Added one thing just in case. 
2012/07/19 15:06:53
Afterburner
Thank you thank you 
2012/07/30 10:00:42
Sightbain
Good catch, thanks for the warning! Is it included in the how to start crunching faq like it is on the F@H forum?
2012/09/21 09:13:27
Afterburner
I updated this thread today to include BOINC Manager Installation Instructions. Please let me know if I need to add anything or if I missed anything. Thank you!!! 
2012/09/21 11:57:12
rjbelans
You might have to redo the image uploads. Looks like the forums are being flakey with them today.
2012/09/21 16:33:13
Afterburner
I see that. Darn it. I used EVGA uploaded to prevent that issue. I will wait a day or two and see if it is a Server thing or not... And I will add them into a different provider if not...
2013/04/30 06:42:23
jinihammerer
Hi....  as a total noob...

I think you should move step one to step two and add

Afterburner

Step one...

The link or links to go do all of the things in step 2.

Just saying. I have no clue where you want me to do these things.
2013/04/30 06:51:29
Barbarossa
Welcome!
Where do you get stuck?
AB in his guide is using an older version, so some things have changed (mainly optical, but some other stuff has moved around). The basic setup however is still the same.
It doesn´t matter whether you first install the manger and add a project, or first go to a projects web page and do the account setup and joining a team. I personally find it easier and less confusing joining a project through the manager, and then use the project link inside the managers "projects" tab.

2013/04/30 07:14:25
Punchy
I think what Jini is pointing out is that if you don't already know what the projects are, step one doesn't make any sense.  There is a sticky called "Project Lists" that has links to many of the different BOINC projects; overall there must be hundreds though.  Many of us started with World Community Grid but there are many others listed in that thread.  After signing up on those individual projects' sites, with your user name, and then joining the Crunching@EVGA team on the same site, then you go to step 2.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account