2024/02/21 09:53:28
Halibut King
Ok.
Did some digging and found it does seem to support Xeon v2 series but only way to get it to post with two CPUs is to use ECC RAM.
Sounds crazy but there is a Y-tube video from GamersNexus that found that out.

Also gotten the board. And wow its a beauty, not single scratch and looks more or less brand new (little bit of dust here and there).
Even got what I think is the original peripherals that it came with. Says EVGA on the backsides of the plastic bags and are OLD, never opened too, none of them.
Looks like the board is hardly ever used, but seller said it working perfect and he just updated the BIOS before he shipped it.
Only thing missing I think is the Box it was sold in.

Still waiting for the ECC RAM so cant test it yet, but should arrive this or next week :)

Edit. 
Seems like I cant post pics or links.

2024/02/21 10:08:28
Halibut King
Plan is to load it up with 12x8gb ECC RAM, 2x2697v2, 4x3060. Gonna crunch some numbers on it.

Not sure how PCIE lanes are configured on the board (seems a little funky), from what little Ive read so far it supports 4 gpus at x16 x16 x8 x8, not sure if there is no more lanes left for 5th GPU and is used for other stuff?
Would like to use a NVME disc in a PCIE slot as well.
Anyone know if you can turn down PCIE speed in BIOS and run it x8 x8 x8 x8 for GPUs + NVME disc in PICE card for example?
or its a hard limit with max 4 PCIE slots in use at the same time?

//Halibut King
2024/02/21 13:04:02
mvidart2401
I love that project! where have you managed to buy the motherboard? I want one :(
2024/02/21 13:49:29
Halibut King
mvidart2401
I love that project! where have you managed to buy the motherboard? I want one :(

I stumbled upon it on the domestic market place here in Norway.
He was selling it as a whole server but also parts alone. 
When I found it RAM, PSU and some other stuff was already sold.

I had no idea how rare this board was at first. I was just looking for boards that can support several GPUs with decent PCIE speed.

But after I bought it and looked around a little bit more about it I realized it must be pretty rare, couldnt find a single one for sale anywhere else.
Also looked up some history about it, pretty interesting, seem to be made to be a proper OC machine bud sadly didnt turn out that way due to locked CPUs.

I post some results from when I get the RAM and can fire her up. Hopefully wont be any issues :)

//Halibut King

Edit.
Will also do my best to not get any marks or scratches on it, because it looks brand new tbh.

2024/02/21 14:08:44
mvidart2401
excellent! Please let me know when you sell it :)
2024/02/24 20:07:24
Halibut King
Fired up the board tonight. 
Got it to boot no issues with 2x2697v2, so that works =)

Small issue, it wont post with DIMM slot 5 or 6 populated.
With slot 5 populated I get post code 67 and stuck, with slot 6 populated I get code 60 and stuck.
So right now 10 DIMM slots populated with 80gb of RAM.

Little bit of bummer, might try to re-seat the CPUs and if that dont work I have 2x2687w try with as well.
Else the board seem to work fine.

Had to improvise with CPU coolers because the coolers Im supposed to use has gotten delayed and the ones right now is wrong socket and weak so I just slapped them on.
Only been in BIOS quickly and checked that everything was working.

Will also send a message to seller and see if he ever had any issues with the DIMM slot, I know he only used 8 sticks, but those should be populated with that setup.
2024/02/25 01:50:46
rjohnson11
Thanks for the updates. 
2024/02/26 08:40:53
mvidart2401
Halibut King
Fired up the board tonight. 
Got it to boot no issues with 2x2697v2, so that works =)

Small issue, it wont post with DIMM slot 5 or 6 populated.
With slot 5 populated I get post code 67 and stuck, with slot 6 populated I get code 60 and stuck.
So right now 10 DIMM slots populated with 80gb of RAM.

Little bit of bummer, might try to re-seat the CPUs and if that dont work I have 2x2687w try with as well.
Else the board seem to work fine.

Had to improvise with CPU coolers because the coolers Im supposed to use has gotten delayed and the ones right now is wrong socket and weak so I just slapped them on.
Only been in BIOS quickly and checked that everything was working.

Will also send a message to seller and see if he ever had any issues with the DIMM slot, I know he only used 8 sticks, but those should be populated with that setup.

what good news! both xenons work!
It's a shame that the 12 banks of ram don't work! It could be the failed mother itself, or the CPU memory controllers!
2024/03/04 05:42:20
Halibut King
Finally gotten my coolers and have some time to tinker.

Anyone know if its possible to boot from a NVME drive in a PCIE adapter? 
I have no issues installing Linux on it, and I see the PCIE card connected in BIOS with correct speed, but it refuses to boot from it and goes straight to BIOS.

Guessing this board is too old to have BIOS support to boot from NVME drive? It does not show up under Boot Options.
Or am I missing a setting in BIOS? 

Edit. I have the latest BIOS according from what I found at the Download Center, v1.04
2024/03/04 05:49:01
Halibut King
Some good news, I re-seated the CPU, took out the 2 RAM sticks with issues and blew 2 DIMM-slots clean with my mouth for good luck, and guess what, all DIMMs works :D

I believe it was the CPU, because I tried re-seating the RAM many times before and already cleaned the DIMM slots out, but who knows ;)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account