2011/11/14 17:36:31
takuhari
Is this the SR-3 bored that is going to be for the x79 series?...

2011/11/14 17:38:51
_MatthewH
A prototype of it, yes.
2011/11/14 17:49:33
DraginElite
still strikes me as odd have 1 CPU having 8 slots with the other CPU having 4
2011/11/14 17:52:46
takuhari
Socket 0 is wired to eight DDR3 DIMM slots (two DIMMs/channel), while socket 1 to four slots (1 DIMM/channel)
2011/11/14 19:04:43
INFRNL
I think the ram is all shared among the 12 slots but I have no idea. It was also mentioned that they did it this way so you can use your ram from SR-2 for this board and not have to buy new ram.
  It is kind of odd depending on how it works exactly, but its nice that they thought about saving us some money and not have to buy new ram. I personally cannot wait for the release
2011/11/14 19:39:13
farthestkris
evga should stick with either 8 dimms for both or 4 dimms for both, the board looks. disproportionate.
2011/11/14 19:49:11
nivekt
farthestkris

evga should stick with either 8 dimms for both or 4 dimms for both, the board looks. disproportionate.

Function over form, I always say. Im sure there is a very good reason for the layout. Besides, with that layout and 8gb DIMMS, the possibility of 96gb of ram exists. Is that not enough?
2011/11/14 21:22:26
cpsusie
nivekt
 Function over form, I always say. 

I feel the same way.  I don't understand why people care about the color scheme or that it looks "badass" or whatever.  It's not like I look at the damned thing.  It could be shaped like a turd or a pool of vomit for all I care.  As long as it performs.  (Now if it smelled like vomit or a turd I might object . . . can't help but smell it even if I don't look at it.)

2011/11/14 22:36:12
justin_43
farthestkris

I totally agree. Slight OCD I guess, but it just doesn't look right, and I am really interested in this board, but it would bother me if it ships with 12 DIMM slots. I'd rather have 4 per CPU than this. If someone is buying this board and the accompanying Xeons, I think they could probably afford 4 more sticks to make 16. Or just use 8 until you had the money for the rest. I think most users of this board will want to take advantage of the quad channel memory anyway, and populate the appropriate amount of DIMM slots. I just don't see someone who has plans to purchase this board already, not buying it because it has 4 extra DIMMs. Also if someone already has 12 sticks, and populates 12 of 12 DIMMS or populates 12 of 16 DIMMS the board will run in triple channel either way, right? So really this benefits no one IMHO. But I'm sure there is a better reason that I can't think of, otherwise EVGA would not do it. I just don't see the downside to 16 DIMM slots. And as far as looks go, I like symmetry, as most people do.
2011/11/15 06:48:44
TiN_EE
Hey, what's with all this naming, it's not SR-3. What is "3" ? :D
Board will have similar but other name.

Also I don't see any problems for memory slots amount. Because of tight space constrains slave CPU have only 4 slots, but both CPUs still have fully functional quad channel. First cpu just have two dimms per each channel, as you see on pic. Still more than enough to fit 96 GB of memory

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account