2018/02/26 09:01:25
Dikonou
Complete novice question here!!!!
Did you do the procedure for master and slave bios restarting each time the PC? I mean completely as you describe above for master bios first...... and then for slave second time duplicating all procedures?
2018/02/26 09:23:54
Cool GTX
Dikonou
Did you do the procedure for master and slave bios restarting each time the PC? I mean completely as you describe above for master bios first...... and then for slave second time duplicating all procedures?

Most would "save 1 stock BIOS" as the backup - No reason to flash both

Defiantly confirm card works well, before flashing second BIOS

The second BIOS is a Safety feature, allowing recovery if anything goes sideways
2018/02/26 11:50:43
JuliusDigital
Cool GTX
Dikonou

Most would "save 1 stock BIOS" as the backup - No reason to flash both

Defiantly confirm card works well, before flashing second BIOS

The second BIOS is a Safety feature, allowing recovery if anything goes sideways

Exactly, I kept my master BIOS to the original stock version, thus it remains a backup if needed. I have only performed the update to the slave BIOS and since then I'm using the card like this (BIOS switch left on slave) for the reason explained in my first remark.

But of course you can do it the opposite way: update the master to 11 GHz and keep the slave to the original 10 GHz. Especially if you prefer to use the card with both silent fans (0rpm) at idle load = master BIOS behavior.
2018/02/26 13:16:55
HeavyHemi
Several have asked this. Is new inventory flashed with the 11gbs BIOS or not?
2018/02/26 14:10:59
Dikonou
Thanks everyone!!! Well if flashing only ''one'' bios is enough then OK..... i thought that both had to be installed in order for the card to work correctly.....
2018/02/27 14:54:23
JuliusDigital
HeavyHemi
Several have asked this. Is new inventory flashed with the 11gbs BIOS or not?

- Possibly YES, it might have been the case if you refer to post #195 from libneon back in June 2017 [forums.evga.com/FindPost/2680687]. His FTW2 was equipped with stock BIOS 86.04.66.00.80 and 11 GHz were already unlocked without even requiring the BIOS last digit increment 81. By the way looks like it's the most recent revision out there in comparison with 86.04.60.xx.xx or 86.04.3B.xx.xx!

- And possibly NO! While my FTW2 has the exact same commercial P/N than libneon card, it has a different "Board ID". I tried flashing it with BIOS 86.04.66.00.80 as well as 86.04.66.00.81: both were not successful throwing the impossible to override "Board ID mismatch" error in NVFlash... Yet I'm pretty sure my card was made more recently. I've just bought it in Feb 2018 from a reliable retail store, package sealed. Then checked the S/N on the support page and my warranty is starting by default from mid-Nov 2017, which should more or less be the manufacturing date.

Eventually it makes me think of all the different BIOS revisions existing for the same card P/N may be reflecting some hardware differences. Such as multiple sources of chips in the supply chain, or several manufacturing places, maybe also related to different shipment areas around the globe (I live in France).

Anyway the most important: EVGA states all the GTX 1080 models assembled with the iCX cooler do have memory chips compatible with 11 GHz! Even some guys with the ACX3 models also made it happen, either by overclocking or BIOS flashing, provided that the cooling is adequate.
So in the end there is absolutely no reason to miss out on this great BIOS upgrade available to our cards for free, IMHO 😊
2018/02/28 11:48:59
MarcSam
Will ever be a 12 GHz BIOS update for the FTW3 GPUs?
2018/03/02 22:56:34
oMekone
I just got a 1080 SC2 direct from evga. It has the 10gbs bios installed. Took a few tries but the 11gbs bios did flash and is stable.
2018/03/03 09:32:51
Dikonou
Well since the only detailed guide I find is some videos on the net about how to change the bios on a GPU......could someone help us out here?

I know that i'm asking too much...... but..... I don't know the exact step by step procedure to do the update.....
I see which programm is needed.... but i read about the need to write -4 -5 -6........and other comands... in comand line and don't know how that will effect anything!!!

Could someone please If he has the time and patience give us a helping hand here?

Again I know I'm asking too much!!!
2018/03/05 15:47:30
JuliusDigital
Dikonou
Well since the only detailed guide I find is some videos on the net about how to change the bios on a GPU......could someone help us out here?

I know that i'm asking too much...... but..... I don't know the exact step by step procedure to do the update.....
I see which programm is needed.... but i read about the need to write -4 -5 -6........and other comands... in comand line and don't know how that will effect anything!!!

Could someone please If he has the time and patience give us a helping hand here?

Again I know I'm asking too much!!!

You're talking about the command switches of NVIDIA NVFlash, but have you downloaded the latest version? It can be found here: www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash

The different switches -4 / -5 / -6 are made to override some security checks that prevent from flashing improper .ROM file BIOS to your card. It is not recommended to use them unless you know exactly what you are doing! Take a look at the readme.txt provided with NVFlash, every command is clearly documented.
Moreover while the switches -4 and -5 are still referenced on many websites, they are not supported anymore in the latest versions of NVFlash, AFAIK. Only the -6 works now to override "PCI subsystem ID mismatch" error, namely a different model between your card existing BIOS and the .ROM file BIOS you try to flash it with. This is what you've already noticed in your previous post #327 [forums.evga.com/FindPost/2754901]
Let me just add in normal situation you should never flash your card with a BIOS file that comes with a different Subsystem ID. Especially for the GTX 1080 FTW2 cards: to take credit of the 11 GHz update, you should definitely find a proper BIOS version available down here!

First, please tell us which original BIOS your card is equipped with by sending your GPU-Z screenshot. If you are in the same situation than me, you may follow the guide I've made in post #360: forums.evga.com/FindPost/2789626
If it's different, then I'll try to help.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account