2024/07/13 15:34:50
Plink Oh
Here is a brain scratcher for you. I have a retro Windows XP 32 bit build. It is functional. It has a GTX 960 2GB SSC card in it. I swapped in a GTX 960 2GB FTW card that I purchased from Ebay just to test it out. It booted to bios and the windows XP startup screen, but when it came time for it to enter the login screen, It showed nothing but a black screen. It was not that the screen was not receiving a signal. The back lights were on. I tried switching the bios on the board and rebooted. I got the same result. I figured the card was faulty and sent it back to the seller. I bought a second card from Ebay,  GTX 960 2GB FTW again, from a totally different vender, before I even got the return slip for the first one. I stuck it into the same machine and got the same results on both bios of the video card. I thought that I must have terrible luck. I then tried installing the video card in place of the card in my daily Windows 11 rig. It works and with all video ports on the card. I scoured the internet for a clue to a solution. I tried changing computer bios settings controlling vrm management. No luck. My setup is as I said functional with the SSC card but not the 2 FTW cards I tried. I have way more power than needed from a 850 watt single rail power supply. The motherboard is a ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z68 with a 2600k processor and 2 sticks of 8 gig ddr3 1600 memory, even though it will only address less than 4 gigs. it has a single 640 gig western digital drive. It is partitioned for a second bootable drive and a data drive. I am pretty sure this does not matter because I have not installed an additional OS yet. Any ideas....
2024/07/14 01:46:32
Sajin
Remove the graphics drivers using the ssc card, restart, shutdown, install ftw card, boot, install drivers, restart. Should be good then.
2024/07/15 16:58:00
Plink Oh
Well that worked, and thankyou Sajin but why is it that I can drop in a different card with the 11 machine but not swap the same card with different clocks in the XP machine without reinstalling the drivers? Is this an old Windows security bug? This is a retail version of XP professional. I only ever had a issue on a machine I built on an OEM install years ago taken out by a lightning strike that I changed motherboards on. That got fixed over the phone with a Microsoft rep. I can at least give positive feedback to the seller with full confidence thanks to you, kudos.
2024/07/15 20:59:29
Sajin
Glad it worked for you. I believe it's because windows xp doesn't automatically install drivers for new hardware. Windows 10/11 does.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account