2022/07/08 23:47:20
HeavyHemi
MadmanMac
That comment was in regards to no updates to the user manual/specs stated by EVGA.  I had no idea you could put 8gb dimms in the machine and it recognize them. The manual says max 4gb dimms so that was the info I was running off of, or in other words GIGO. Garbage in Garbage out. Machine still running great BTW.

Even intel listed that as the max memory for the processor at the time because there were no memory modules of a larger capacity.
I've never heard of the processor changing the order of the memory slots. I have seen where bad socket contacts can cause issues with recognizing memory correctly.
2022/07/09 08:59:26
willismar
MadmanMac
That comment was in regards to no updates to the user manual/specs stated by EVGA.  I had no idea you could put 8gb dimms in the machine and it recognize them. The manual says max 4gb dimms so that was the info I was running off of, or in other words GIGO. Garbage in Garbage out. Machine still running great BTW.

Yeah ... I suspected that you weren't aware of this (because of the way you said it), so at least I let you know that is possible.  :)

I believe the limitation in manuals is just from the time it was created, and the retail market (desktop memories) didn't have more than 24Gb available in that time (retail desktop memory). Even Intel documentation is not sure about the maximum. 
For example, the i7 980X Extreme Edition, in theory, could only handle 24Gb but they put a question mark saying: "max memory size (dependent on memory type)". For the Xeon X5680 the maximum memory size is 288Gb.
In my mind, if the maximum processor that the board X58 can handle is a processor that can address 288Gb Ram, so the board in theory can handle it too. 
My X58 is running so great too, I love it. I have plans to put more amount of memory into it. I will see. 
About Evga, they don't care about people using old products so they stopped Bios updates. It's up to us to become connected to see what's new and update our Bioses accordingly to what is possible. There are many unofficial BIOS updates out there.
The X58 is capable of much more!

2022/07/12 12:35:06
MadmanMac
Actually I was made aware of it a few months ago by a friend who is literally a BOFH even if he wont admit it. A mad skillset doesn't even describe him. Me, I know a little bit about a lot of subjects and a lot about 9 or 10 subjects. It makes it easier for researching things but a PITA on execution occasionally as I have to read a lot more to get the gist of some things I either wasn't aware of or never needed previously.

The bios bit is interesting however this machine will be purely a gaming rig soon enough as I have 3 other possible machines including an I5 that is languishing in a corner somewhere. I HATE moving. now I will have to reorganize everything so I know where it all is again.
2022/08/07 09:16:21
Flbeamer
Wowsers.   I have an X58 SLI also (132-BL-E758)  I'm not sure, but I believe it was mb version 1.0....not sure now. I built this rig probably 14 years ago and with a mod now and then have really forgotten most of where to go to do things.   Nice to see others are happy with theirs!   

So seems to be moving along well for my needs.

I was looking at windows 11 and said it wasn't compatible due to cpu.  Oh well, guess I'll lose sleep over that one :P

Was looking to upgrade my unit.   It looks as thought the Xeon x5640 3.46 Westmere is the top processor available.
Don't see anything about compatible memory.  So it's DDR1600 8gb up to 48?   Buffered or not, non ecc or regular.  Recommendations on brand?
What about Bios?  Where do I find compatible updates?

TIA

2022/08/10 09:25:46
MadmanMac
There are used x5690s on the zon. really hate to give em advertising but  rotten egg burned me a few times. Im running 24g  teamgroup 1600  from same I could have gone faster but it's about funds I have. Especially since I just had my life upended again and now I cant afford to pay "at" let alone "attention". :P

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account