2020/09/25 16:45:02
guitarwar241
Seems like 2 MLCCs make the card function perfectly fine, but it's still early on in testing. 
2020/09/25 16:46:12
HeavyHemi
Delirious
HawkOculus
HeavyHemi

As a MSEE, a member of IEEE and JEDEC, manager of the ATE division for one of the largest semi companies in the world (now retired). Yes in fact I am. Just what do you believe anyone here who is not a professional is going to be doing anything but expressing their opinions? Mostly based on what some amateur on the internet posted.

Nobody cares about your credentials.

And if it wasn’t an issue, then why is it being silently changed by EVGA across multiple designs vs. what is pictured on the stock photos on their product listings?

You should.     those sort of credentials, I would be surprised many people with them would be on a public forum.   Go visit those forums where a bunch of teens and twenty year olds bicker. 

I'm retired and slumming ha ha... I don't normally 'pull rank' but this nonsense needs to stop. MLCC are cheap mass produced caps, POSCAP are better quality and more expensive. If anything, the argument is backwards.
2020/09/25 16:49:02
HeavyHemi
guitarwar241
Seems like 2 MLCCs make the card function perfectly fine, but it's still early on in testing. 

So they swapped out caps on this specific GPU? I mean, are we really discussing the design of an entire line based on one sample? I'm trying to figure out the rules here.
2020/09/25 16:49:22
powermix24

2020/09/25 16:50:09
YURIIII
HeavyHemi
Delirious
HawkOculus
HeavyHemi

As a MSEE, a member of IEEE and JEDEC, manager of the ATE division for one of the largest semi companies in the world (now retired). Yes in fact I am. Just what do you believe anyone here who is not a professional is going to be doing anything but expressing their opinions? Mostly based on what some amateur on the internet posted.

And if it wasn’t an issue, then why is it being silently changed by EVGA across multiple designs vs. what is pictured on the stock photos on their product listings?

You should.     those sort of credentials, I would be surprised many people with them would be on a public forum.   Go visit those forums where a bunch of teens and twenty year olds bicker. 

I'm retired and slumming ha ha... I don't normally 'pull rank' but this nonsense needs to stop. MLCC are cheap mass produced caps, POSCAP are better quality and more expensive. If anything, the argument is backwards.

With those credentials I'd expect something more than indirect quotes from a single reddit post.
2020/09/25 16:50:43
javelina1
HeavyHemi
INGREDCOLD
HeavyHemi
This is a technically inept and absurd thread. For most applications POSCAPs are superior.
Wow...the internet 'experts'. Why is everyone claiming POSCAPs are cheaper and lower quality?

Do think any one was saying that. mlcc is better at filtering out electronic noise 

No, they are not. In fact they are cheaper and generally inferior. Holy cow...utterly bassackwards.  

What's your perspective to the issue?  would appreciate any thoughts and insight you have.  Anecdotal evidence thus far pointing towards POSCAPs vs MLCC?  I also work at a large Semiconductor outfit, but not as a EE but rather IT.  I'd ask some of my designer friends regarding this, but I'm having to WFH for a bit and no chance to stroll up via the water fountain chats...
2020/09/25 16:54:20
HeavyHemi
YURIIII
HeavyHemi
Delirious
HawkOculus
HeavyHemi

With those credentials I'd expect something more than indirect quotes from a single reddit post.

I didn't quote anything and why would I waste my time on someone who lacks even the basic knowledge as a fact that MLCC caps are inferior to POSCAPs?
https://www.electronicspe...yer-ceramic-capacitors
2020/09/25 16:57:31
HeavyHemi
javelina1
HeavyHemi
INGREDCOLD
HeavyHemi
This is a technically inept and absurd thread. For most applications POSCAPs are superior.
Wow...the internet 'experts'. Why is everyone claiming POSCAPs are cheaper and lower quality?

Do think any one was saying that. mlcc is better at filtering out electronic noise 

No, they are not. In fact they are cheaper and generally inferior. Holy cow...utterly bassackwards.  

What's your perspective to the issue?  would appreciate any thoughts and insight you have.  Anecdotal evidence thus far pointing towards POSCAPs vs MLCC?  I also work at a large Semiconductor outfit, but not as a EE but rather IT.  I'd ask some of my designer friends regarding this, but I'm having to WFH for a bit and no chance to stroll up via the water fountain chats...

My perspective on this is that it would not be the use of POSCAPs which are superior to cheap MLCCs being the issue. My perspective is, if there is an instability, is design not component choice in this specific example. Other than that,  without actual schematics I would just be guessing.
2020/09/25 20:41:14
NexusPhase
HeavyHemi
YURIIII
HeavyHemi
Delirious
HawkOculus
HeavyHemi

I didn't quote anything and why would I waste my time on someone who lacks even the basic knowledge as a fact that MLCC caps are inferior to POSCAPs?
https://www.electronicspe...yer-ceramic-capacitors

You are right it seems... ;) https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3095238
lol
2020/09/25 20:45:00
GTXJackBauer
EVGA_JacobF
Hi all,

Recently there has been some discussion about the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 series.

During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch. There were no 6 POSCAP production EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 boards shipped.

But, due to the time crunch, some of the reviewers were sent a pre-production version with 6 POSCAP’s, we are working with those reviewers directly to replace their boards with production versions.
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 series with 5 POSCAPs + 10 MLCC solution is matched with the XC3 spec without issues.

Also note that we have updated the product pictures at EVGA.com to reflect the production components that shipped to gamers and enthusiasts since day 1 of product launch.
Once you receive the card you can compare for yourself, EVGA stands behind its products!

Thanks
EVGA

Everyone needs to calm down. lol  This is a non issue for anyone that purchased a GPU since launch.  It was taken care of.  Just the reviewers that had the pre-production models (Not final retail version) were the issue.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account