2020/09/25 11:35:08
Frankfraga
This will hit people hard if true. Hopefully RMA’s would only be giving to single card address and royally screw over the bots that pilled up cards leaving them with trash they can’t sell.
2020/09/25 11:36:17
Monolyth
kevinc313
Monolyth
This is still just a single theory regarding the stability issues. Igor only presents the argument that POSCAPS are "cheaper" parts and that there are differences in the implementations between NVIDIA & AIBs. Just because a part is cheaper does not immediately mean it is inferior. Without a controlled test environment and proper tools we are relying upon the old and often incorrect assumption that correlation equals causation.

I'm not saying there couldn't be a hardware problem, I'm just saying don't make any purchasing decisions based upon a theory that specific cards have issues. The most reliable advice at this point is that prospective buyers avoid purchasing a 3000 series card until the stability issue is addressed.

There is virtually no cost difference between 10 ceramics and one larger Tantalum cap, and we're talking well under a buck in Asia.

But any sane mfg would rather put on one big part vs. 10 small ones, if they can.

Thank you for the information, it's interesting to know.

I just don't want people making big buying decisions based on a theoretical root cause.

EDIT - I do have a 3090 FTW on the way sometime today so if there are issues that require RMA...dat stinks. Then again I've also still got my handy 2080 TI Hybrid sitting on my shelf just in case. ;)
2020/09/25 11:41:24
AHowes
HawkOculus
vgerik1234
Viper97
vgerik1234
It just arrived 30 minutes ago. This was from yesterdays Elite launch. 3090 FTW. 4 P - 2 M

Yesterdays launch? How did you get it so fast?

Next day air, they shipped it out last night @~6PM. With the associate's code it was basically free next-day shipping.

You were able to enter an associates code during yesterday’s debacle, and yet I wasn’t even able to get my address submission to go through on EVGA’s dumpster tier website.

What a load of garbage.

Dude the code is saved to a cookie and should be added in automatically during checkout. No one should need to add the code if done right by clicking someone's code earlier on.
2020/09/25 11:42:10
kevinc313
Monolyth
kevinc313
Monolyth
This is still just a single theory regarding the stability issues. Igor only presents the argument that POSCAPS are "cheaper" parts and that there are differences in the implementations between NVIDIA & AIBs. Just because a part is cheaper does not immediately mean it is inferior. Without a controlled test environment and proper tools we are relying upon the old and often incorrect assumption that correlation equals causation.

I'm not saying there couldn't be a hardware problem, I'm just saying don't make any purchasing decisions based upon a theory that specific cards have issues. The most reliable advice at this point is that prospective buyers avoid purchasing a 3000 series card until the stability issue is addressed.

There is virtually no cost difference between 10 ceramics and one larger Tantalum cap, and we're talking well under a buck in Asia.

But any sane mfg would rather put on one big part vs. 10 small ones, if they can.

Thank you for the information, it's interesting to know.

I just don't want people making big buying decisions based on a theoretical root cause.

EDIT - I do have a 3090 FTW on the way sometime today so if there are issues that require RMA...dat stinks. Then again I've also still got my handy 2080 TI Hybrid sitting on my shelf just in case. ;)

Wait, are you saying Reddit is flipping out over one article theorizing about a minor issue?  I'm shocked.

It should take a competent solderer about 15-30 minutes to remove one of those tantalums and install 10 of the ceramics, with very little risk to the PCB.  Yeah some people might have to RMA cards for it but it's an easy fix.
2020/09/25 11:58:37
ehabash1
99% of the population dont even know what solder means.
This will be a big problem for many aibs
2020/09/25 12:04:06
cneuhauser
kevinc313
YURIIII
kevinc313
YURIIII
I just found out that FTW3 models are using POSCAP-capacitors instead of MLCC, can someone confirm this?

The more deep we are going with this launch, I'm getting stronger feeling that I should pull my order off.

You sound ridiculous calling them by their formal names.  They are Ceramic and Tantalum caps.  

Thanks, English is not my first language.

I blame the article and the public's ignorance of electronics.

Well why don't you educate us 'guru'....
2020/09/25 12:08:00
arestavo
HawkOculus

You were able to enter an associates code during yesterday’s debacle, and yet I wasn’t even able to get my address submission to go through on EVGA’s dumpster tier website.

What a load of garbage.

I actually applied the associates 5% off GPU code the night prior. It added it to my account while on my main rig, and still carried over to my phone when I was able to (finally) finish checking out while on the road. I might have gotten checked out faster had I not had to reapply my 172 EVGA bucks several different times over the course of an hour due to web page timeouts.

I used Sajin's link in his signature block from one of his forum posts.
2020/09/25 12:08:52
kevinc313
cneuhauser
kevinc313
YURIIII
kevinc313
YURIIII
I just found out that FTW3 models are using POSCAP-capacitors instead of MLCC, can someone confirm this?

The more deep we are going with this launch, I'm getting stronger feeling that I should pull my order off.

You sound ridiculous calling them by their formal names.  They are Ceramic and Tantalum caps.  

Thanks, English is not my first language.

I blame the article and the public's ignorance of electronics.

Well why don't you educate us 'guru'....

I already did. 

You're welcome.
2020/09/25 12:23:51
Axejess
Just saw this on redit seems also 2 "good" ones on the 3080 so maybe it's all fine anyway :)
https://imgur.com/a/IMVFdTP

2020/09/25 12:35:48
Nostyke
Axejess
Just saw this on redit seems also 2 "good" ones on the 3080 so maybe it's all fine anyway :)
https://imgur.com/a/IMVFdTP

pfhew you singlehandedly just made my heart beat again ty.
can you link the post youre referring to?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account