• Software
  • Windows Updates successes and/or problems thread (p.9)
2018/12/12 09:53:02
dc8flyer
Updated to 1809, for the past two days. Update failed after first reboot during installation. Studied the fault code and decided it might have been the OC. I defaulted the BIOS and started again and 1809 installed.

Only one issue, and is actually a repeat from initial 1809 initial install a month or more ago. Samsung Magician Over Provisioning is broke and I can no longer set an OverProvision. 
2018/12/12 10:32:44
bdary
dc8flyer
Updated to 1809, for the past two days. Update failed after first reboot during installation. Studied the fault code and decided it might have been the OC. I defaulted the BIOS and started again and 1809 installed.

Only one issue, and is actually a repeat from initial 1809 initial install a month or more ago. Samsung Magician Over Provisioning is broke and I can no longer set an OverProvision. 

Have you tried the latest Magician software version 5.3?  > http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/support/downloads.html

I've been running 1809 since it was intially released.  No issue's with overprovisioning through the Magician software.
2018/12/12 10:43:04
dc8flyer
I did reinstall 5.3 and also spoke to Samsung. Samsung said don't worry about as the OProvisioning isn't supposed to be changed once set. He mentioned there was a link to Disk Management if I wanted to go there and make changes.

What I really want is for MS updates to stop braking stuff and learn how to play with everyone else or stop the forced updates. I'd also like to see Magician to work as intended and not told to not worry about it.
2018/12/12 10:56:02
bdary
dc8flyer
I did reinstall 5.3 and also spoke to Samsung. Samsung said don't worry about as the OProvisioning isn't supposed to be changed once set. He mentioned there was a link to Disk Management if I wanted to go there and make changes.

What I really want is for MS updates to stop braking stuff and learn how to play with everyone else or stop the forced updates. I'd also like to see Magician to work as intended and not told to not worry about it.

If things are working as they should, you should be able to click on "custom" and makes changes, or click custom then click "recommended" again to set it at 10%.  Shown in pic.

Attached Image(s)

2018/12/12 12:20:41
dc8flyer
bdary
dc8flyer

If things are working as they should, you should be able to click on "custom" and makes changes, or click custom then click "recommended" again to set it at 10%.  Shown in pic.

That's the rub. The OP page doesn't populate so you can't set anything. That is why I would have to use Disk management.

2018/12/12 13:08:44
bob16314
dc8flyer
What I really want is for MS updates to stop braking stuff and learn how to play with everyone else or stop the forced updates.

I stopped forced updates a long time ago..Not hard to do..Actually it's rather simple.

I like to view and research any problems associated with Windows Updates for a few days or so before I allow updates to be downloaded and installed.
2018/12/18 09:14:20
EyeDeeNo
For anyone who doesn't have 1809 yet the October 2018 update 1809 is now available again by manually checking for it.
But
Microsoft has resolved a number of the upgrade blocks for the October 2018 Update, it still has four blocks in place for issues related to AMD HD2000 and HD4000 GPUs, Trend Micro software, F5 VPN clients, and "certain new Intel display drivers."

Source: Windows Central - Windows 10 October 2018 Update now fully available for download

I still have not had any issues with 1809 and all is running smooth even after last weeks Patch Tuesday's .NET Framework and cumulative updates.
2018/12/18 10:24:47
bdary
EyeDeeNo
For anyone who doesn't have 1809 yet the October 2018 update 1809 is now available again by manually checking for it.
But
Microsoft has resolved a number of the upgrade blocks for the October 2018 Update, it still has four blocks in place for issues related to AMD HD2000 and HD4000 GPUs, Trend Micro software, F5 VPN clients, and "certain new Intel display drivers."

Source: Windows Central - Windows 10 October 2018 Update now fully available for download

I still have not had any issues with 1809 and all is running smooth even after last weeks Patch Tuesday's .NET Framework and cumulative updates.

My experience as well...
2018/12/18 22:15:59
XrayMan
EyeDeeNo
But

Been stuck on "Status: Initializing" for the past 2 hours.

EDIT: Now changed to "Preparing to install".
EDIT 2: "Downloading"  So slow. Hasn't been this slow before.
EDIT 3: Stuck at 1%. I'll continue tomorrow.   :/
2018/12/19 06:07:11
EyeDeeNo
XrayManBeen stuck on "Status: Initializing" for the past 2 hours.

EDIT: Now changed to "Preparing to install".
EDIT 2: "Downloading"  So slow. Hasn't been this slow before.
EDIT 3: Stuck at 1%. I'll continue tomorrow.   :/

Well that's no fun and hopefully just simple technical hiccup.

Here's the download Windows Update Troubleshooter of the first step the Microsoft guide for Fix Windows Update.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account