• Software
  • Windows Updates successes and/or problems thread (p.64)
2021/02/17 11:22:20
flyinion
kougar
20H2 just installs like a regular update, and it's pretty fast because there's not really much that got changed. It doesn't reset or nuke drivers either, but it did change Windows settings. 

Ah ok, well nice that it's a quick install, that's annoying about the settings stuff though.
2021/02/17 21:19:41
usbarlow@hotmail.com
Crazy the random things Microsoft breaks
2021/02/18 18:02:12
flyinion
kougar
20H2 just installs like a regular update, and it's pretty fast because there's not really much that got changed. It doesn't reset or nuke drivers either, but it did change Windows settings. 

LOL I'm an idiot.  Not used to the new 2nHn naming scheme and I thought I was on 20H1.  Forgot 20H2 was the first time they released it like that and I've been on it for a couple months.  I don't really remember any settings getting changed but again it's been a while.
2021/02/24 13:34:28
Bobmitch
2021/02/25 07:31:55
bdary
No issue's so far after installing both these updates...
2021/02/26 05:31:20
aka_STEVE_b
I did the updates this morning  - but I'm blaming XRAYMAN  if anything bad happens.
2021/02/26 18:59:07
XrayMan
aka_STEVE_b
I did the updates this morning  - but I'm blaming XRAYMAN  if anything bad happens.

2021/03/01 07:04:32
aka_STEVE_b
latest update is supposed to fix stuttering in games, that some people were seeing - 

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-gets-a-fix-for-annoying-stuttering-in-some-games

Windows 10 has received a preview version of a cumulative update, and it’s one that gamers might want to apply if they’ve been having any kind of trouble with stuttering or flickering (or indeed other rendering issues) when playing certain games.

As Microsoft states, patch KB4601382 (for Windows 10 May 2020 Update and October 2020 Update) applies the following fix: “Updates an issue with screen rendering after opening games with certain hardware configurations.”

As it’s in preview, you’ll have to manually find and install this bunch of fixes via Windows Update (this patch will be next month’s cumulative update when it lands on March 9 – but folks who are exasperated with the bugs that it cures may just want to grab it now to save them from another week of pulling their hair out).

As mentioned, as well as the problems with games, there are other fixes here. These include several display-related bugbears like an “issue that might cause video playback to flicker when rendering on certain low-latency capable monitors”, and incorrect refresh rates showing under advanced display settings when it comes to HDR-capable monitors.

2021/03/01 13:00:09
Cool GTX
Updated a few of my machines yesterday & today.

Only thing worth mentioning - that Might Help someone else ...

My X58 Rig crashed during Win10 updates ... removing all OC from BIOS & it survived update second try

lesson learned .... no matter how stable your OC is in benchmarks, games or Folding ... if Win10 crashes during update ... remove the OC

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account