• Software
  • Windows Updates successes and/or problems thread (p.40)
2020/02/17 11:27:56
aka_STEVE_b
Another story about update disasters being reported.....  

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10s-latest-update-fail-could-be-its-most-serious-yet

Update pulled
We also reported that the Windows 10 KB4524244 update was causing issues for users, and it’s now been pulled by Microsoft – so the update will no longer be automatically downloaded.

This update was causing issues with HP devices because of its Sure Start Secure Boot Key Protection.

This is yet another example of a faulty Windows 10 update, and Microsoft needs to act fast to fix these problems and ensure future updates are not affected.

Windows 10’s seemingly never-ending run of faulty updates is continuing to impact users, with reports emerging that Windows 10 KB4532693 is deleting files on some people’s PCs.

We’ve previously reported that KB4532693 was causing some serious issues for Windows 10 users, with people's Start menus and desktops reverting to their default states.

However, it seems that issue is even more serious than first thought, as it appears that it is deleting any files saved on the desktop as well.

Some people have been able to restore their files – it appears the update is renaming and moving their user profile – but it seems that many people have found they are unable to restore the files that were deleted.

While changing the user profile back to its default settings is annoying, if an update is faulty enough that it’s actually deleting users’ files, then this is very serious indeed.

We don’t know how widespread this issue is, with Windows Latest quoting several users on Microsoft’s forums, and Microsoft itself has yet to comment. Hopefully this is cleaned up quickly.

2020/02/17 16:35:12
Nereus
aka_STEVE_b
Another story about update disasters being reported.....  

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10s-latest-update-fail-could-be-its-most-serious-yet

Update pulled
We also reported that the Windows 10 KB4524244 update was causing issues for users, and it’s now been pulled by Microsoft – so the update will no longer be automatically downloaded.

This update was causing issues with HP devices because of its Sure Start Secure Boot Key Protection.

This is yet another example of a faulty Windows 10 update, and Microsoft needs to act fast to fix these problems and ensure future updates are not affected.

Windows 10’s seemingly never-ending run of faulty updates is continuing to impact users, with reports emerging that Windows 10 KB4532693 is deleting files on some people’s PCs.

We’ve previously reported that KB4532693 was causing some serious issues for Windows 10 users, with people's Start menus and desktops reverting to their default states.

However, it seems that issue is even more serious than first thought, as it appears that it is deleting any files saved on the desktop as well.

Some people have been able to restore their files – it appears the update is renaming and moving their user profile – but it seems that many people have found they are unable to restore the files that were deleted.

While changing the user profile back to its default settings is annoying, if an update is faulty enough that it’s actually deleting users’ files, then this is very serious indeed.

We don’t know how widespread this issue is, with Windows Latest quoting several users on Microsoft’s forums, and Microsoft itself has yet to comment. Hopefully this is cleaned up quickly.

How the hell can MS not even comment on this???? Holy crap...

2020/02/18 16:55:11
flyinion
Yeah I saw that, right after I updated to it.  Immediately yanked it just in case since the update itself has been pulled.
2020/02/18 17:44:22
Nereus

Uninstalled KB4524244 and KB4532693...

2020/02/19 13:48:58
flyinion
Nereus

Glad I saw your post, I didn't even catch the 2693 one in Steve's post originally.  I had seen the 4244 issue in an article in my Google feed already.  Removed 2693 at lunch (hadn't seen any issues yet though) and set my update delay for routine updates to be 14 days up from 3 since that apparently wasn't long enough for the reports of problems to show up.
2020/02/19 13:52:08
Sajin
Files being deleted again? Oh boy. Gotta love those windows updates. 
2020/02/19 15:19:06
Bobmitch
Nereus

Did the 244 the other day.  Caught the 693 from your post.  Uninstalled on my Desktop...laptop will not let me...interesting!
2020/02/19 15:27:06
Bobmitch
Really odd.  Uninstalled KB4532693...and Windows update reinstalled it upon reboot

2020/02/19 16:19:57
flyinion
bobmitch
Really odd.  Uninstalled KB4532693...and Windows update reinstalled it upon reboot

That sucks.  One reason I'm glad I managed to get Win10 Pro.  I can "snooze" updates for quite a while to give them time to fix/pull/etc. 
2020/02/19 16:30:32
GTXJackBauer
flyinion

One reason I'm glad I managed to get Win10 Pro.  I can "snooze" updates for quite a while to give them time to fix/pull/etc. 

Same  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account