• Software
  • Windows Updates successes and/or problems thread (p.31)
2019/11/10 16:17:18
XrayMan
bdary
coolmistry
Everyone got the same problem as us!!!! See here Windows Forums 'USB drives displaying weird icons (I believe in USB 3.0 ports only)'

Interesting.  My printer is set up wireless.  Could be why no issue's with it for me.  However, when I looked at my "Devices & Printers", I noticed my Bluethooth adapter showed as a "Device" even though it has been working normally.  I have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port.  Once I moved it to a USB 2.0 port, The adapter shows the normal icon in "Devices & Printers" again and not just a device.

Mine is wireless too.
2019/11/10 18:18:30
Bobmitch
This is a quote from TenForums from the thread I joined:

According to someone in here: The icon that displays in Explorer for flash drives changed for me today. Anyone else? : Windows10
Everytime you plug a device and your computer is connected to the internet, it will fetch metadata about it from microsoft servers. This explains why it affects even old versions of windows and it's not related to the old CU at all. He also gives a temporary fix for it. I'm not on my computer right now so i can't test it.

https://docs.microsoft.co...adata-retrieval-client

Sounds to me like our machines are getting data daily...Microsoft needs to fix this.  On my laptop...the printer is connected via Networking...so the printer isn't physically connected to the machine...but through printer sharing.  Maybe that's why it's still under Printers. 

BTW...someone with Windows 8.1 said it happened to them, as well.
2019/11/10 19:14:43
Nereus

Oh good point. My printer is hardwired to the router and shared on the network.

2019/11/11 11:20:12
coolmistry
Looks like it is a Windows bug... Windows 10 Bug Causes USB Drives to Show the Wrong Icon

2019/11/11 12:27:49
aka_STEVE_b
Time to scrap the Win 10 code & start over from scratch ...
2019/11/11 21:49:17
knightsilver
MS should give up on being a data whore and give us a real replacement for Win7....!
2019/11/11 21:51:06
Bobmitch
coolmistry
Looks like it is a Windows bug... Windows 10 Bug Causes USB Drives to Show the Wrong Icon

Looked at the ProgramData folder as suggested...deleted the two latest folders dated 11/6/19 and then reinstalled my printer...it is listed properly now.  Hopefully it will stay that way. 
2019/11/12 01:26:10
coolmistry
bobmitch
coolmistry

Looked at the ProgramData folder as suggested...deleted the two latest folders dated 11/6/19 and then reinstalled my printer...it is listed properly now.  Hopefully it will stay that way. 

That great and it your Event Viewer are clean with no error 131?
Haven't try this so will try later Thanks for telling us Bob 
2019/11/12 06:50:28
Bobmitch
Here is Device and Printers after I deleted the folders dated 11/6.  What is odd now is that there is only one folder in the specified place now...dated 11/11/19

Mind you, I had to uninstall the printer and drivers and reinstall to get the printer back into "Printers" rather than "Unspecified".  Before doing that...it was still there. 

Attached Image(s)

2019/11/12 06:59:09
Cool GTX

Software as a Service

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account