• Software
  • Windows Updates successes and/or problems thread (p.27)
2019/11/01 20:27:37
boylerya
Im using Win 10 Pro version 1903.  Havent had any issues since I updated it about a month ago.  But then today out of nowhere I had two instances where I tried to click the windows icon to shut down and it did nothing.  No pop up or anything, just like clicking empty space on the desktop.  I went to my processes to see if anything was strange and didnt notice anything.  Manually shut down.  After that incident I kept my performance window open to keep an eye on my cpu utilization.  Nothing abnormal happened, but I noticed that this version is very poorly optimized.  When I am doing absolutely nothing it sits at 1%, but when I move my mouse cursor rapidly around the screen my CPU usage will jump to 20 to 25% on overall CPU usage, the burden goes to one core that will be going at about 50%.  Unacceptable.  The GPU will spike up to 3%, which is not bad comparatively.

I found out that if I move the mouse around over a full screen browser window it only spikes up to 10 to 15% the my overall CPU.

i7-860 @ 3.54 w/ DDR3 RAM @ 1866.  HT off.
EVGA P55 FTW 200
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
2019/11/02 08:03:52
GTXJackBauer
boylerya
Im using Win 10 Pro version 1903.  Havent had any issues since I updated it about a month ago.  But then today out of nowhere I had two instances where I tried to click the windows icon to shut down and it did nothing.  No pop up or anything, just like clicking empty space on the desktop.  I went to my processes to see if anything was strange and didnt notice anything.  Manually shut down.  After that incident I kept my performance window open to keep an eye on my cpu utilization.  Nothing abnormal happened, but I noticed that this version is very poorly optimized.  When I am doing absolutely nothing it sits at 1%, but when I move my mouse cursor rapidly around the screen my CPU usage will jump to 20 to 25% on overall CPU usage, the burden goes to one core that will be going at about 50%.  Unacceptable.  The GPU will spike up to 3%, which is not bad comparatively.

I found out that if I move the mouse around over a full screen browser window it only spikes up to 10 to 15% the my overall CPU.

EVGA P55 FTW 200
EVGA GTX 1070 SC

Maybe it was M$/GE telemetry watching your every step. 
2019/11/03 16:08:47
boylerya
GTXJackBauer
boylerya

EVGA P55 FTW 200
EVGA GTX 1070 SC

Maybe it was M$/GE telemetry watching your every step. 

My gaming isnt lagged or anything else, just moving the cursor on the desktop is unacceptably burdensome on my CPU.  Others have reported the same results elsewhere.
2019/11/03 21:22:47
knightsilver
So, the norm is now ,Updates are to installed as a fresh OS install?

Makes me miss Win7 servicepacks....................

I seriously hate Win10!!
2019/11/04 05:00:52
GTXJackBauer
knightsilver
So, the norm is now ,Updates are to installed as a fresh OS install?

Makes me miss Win7 servicepacks....................

I seriously hate Win10!!

What do you mean?  As long as your current data isn't being erased, no big deal imo.
2019/11/04 10:40:06
EyeDeeNo
I know Microsoft does not like registry cleaners but I still will use CCleaner's registry cleaner often but only after a system restart to see if Windows wants to fix it first and like to think maybe is part of the reason I do not see many issues after an update. 🤔
2019/11/04 10:49:10
bdary
EyeDeeNo
I know Microsoft does not like registry cleaners but I still will use CCleaner's registry cleaner often but only after a system restart to see if Windows wants to fix it first and like to think maybe is part of the reason I do not see many issues after an update. 🤔

+1.  I still use it as well for cleaning the registry.  I don't update the ccleaner beyond version 5.40 however.  That was the last good version in my opinion.
2019/11/04 14:50:59
knightsilver
I updated the wife’s laptop a few weeks ago, now the dern things is a data whore ! And WiFi got screwed to hell...

Was asking, if I’d get a better OS update if I did a clean OS Install with the last Win10 Update Build?
2019/11/04 16:31:51
DeadMedic
Updated my desktop listed below last week to install Xbox game pass. No issues so far on that one. Been trying to update my Intel Nuc for a couple days with no success. Keep getting Blue screens & then it restores to previous version. I've updated all the drivers. IDK. Might do a restore then try again. I've also read to disconnect one stick of RAM, Wifi card & any other hardware. 
2019/11/04 16:41:48
bob16314
DeadMedic
Been trying to update my Intel Nuc for a couple days with no success. Keep getting Blue screens & then it restores to previous version. I've updated all the drivers. IDK. Might do a restore then try again. I've also read to disconnect one stick of RAM, Wifi card & any other hardware. 

Using the Intel Driver & Support Assistant might help, maybe.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account