• Software
  • Windows Updates successes and/or problems thread (p.24)
2019/10/18 21:19:52
XrayMan

1) Sound settings messed up as usual. (Fixed).

2) Message saying "Problem with MS account". Trying to fix it now. 
Had to reenter PIN#. (Problem fixed).
2019/10/21 10:30:02
aka_STEVE_b
Here is the latest story I found - https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10s-latest-update-reportedly-causes-blue-screen-of-death-issues

Windows 10’s latest update reportedly causes Blue Screen of Death issues
By Darren Allan 2019-10-21 Operating systems

Show-stopping crashes are in evidence, plus some apps are now failing to work

Windows 10 May 2019 Update users are hitting even more issues with the problematic KB4517389 cumulative update which was released earlier this month, and is now reportedly causing a Blue Screen of Death, or boot failure, for some folks.

Unfortunately, as Windows Latest spotted, there are several users on Microsoft’s Answers.com forum pointing the blame at KB4517389 for a Blue Screen of Death (complete crash of the PC) with a ‘cldflt.sys’ error message. That particular process – which pertains to cloud (possibly OneDrive) support – isn’t the cause of the problem, according to a volunteer moderator on Microsoft’s help forum.

Uninstalling the cumulative update fixes the issue, and at the moment, that’s the suggested course of action for those affected.

Windows 10 Pro vs Windows 10 Home
We solve 100 common Windows 10 problems
Check out our best laptops of 2019
Meanwhile, the bug has been reported to Microsoft via the feedback hub for Windows 10, and so hopefully it’s being investigated. As well as this, another user is reporting a boot failure issue, so there are seemingly some very nasty gremlins in the works.

Breaking Basic
And there are further complaints that some apps are being broken by the KB4517389 cumulative update, specifically Visual Basic 3, which works again when the update is uninstalled.

Furthermore, apparently a whole bunch of legacy 16-bit apps written in Visual Basic 3 are similarly scuppered by the update, a corporate user reports.

Last week, we heard about VMware 14 failing to work in Windows 10 after installing KB4517389, and also problems with Microsoft’s own Edge browser.

This follows a whole raft of other flaws caused by the cumulative update including breaking the Start menu (once again – this was a highly unfortunate side effect of a previous cumulative update, too).

2019/10/21 11:27:46
Cool GTX

Yep, another MS FAIL

I'm glad my laptop survived the experience without getting these issues

problematic KB4517389 cumulative update

(excerpt)

the October 8 update (another name for KB4517389) has been breaking the Start menu and causing a critical error.
According to Microsoft’s support documentation, the company claims that the issue is not significantly impacting a large number of users. That won’t be much comfort to the people who are experiencing the problem. However, Microsoft does say that it is investigating the reports of the broken Start menu, though it does appear like the company is stumped about why this issue is occurring.
It’s yet another round of bad news for Microsoft when it comes to faulty Windows 10 updates, and the company needs to get on top of this fast – otherwise its reputation could be irreparably damaged.
2019/10/23 15:25:30
knightsilver
I miss Window7 and MS staying the freak out of my OS/Data..... Go mine your data like everyone else MS!
2019/10/23 18:27:53
flyinion
Not sure what caused my issue with KB4517389 last week but my 1 week hold on updates apparently expired and it reinstalled it while I was at work.  After a restart the weird search box issue didn't come back so I guess I'm going to roll with it for now and see what happens.  
2019/10/23 21:40:14
XrayMan

Hopefully 1909 will fix 1903.
2019/10/23 22:33:36
GTXJackBauer
XrayMan

2019/10/24 07:36:02
bdary
GTXJackBauer
XrayMan

I did get a chuckle out of that when I read it...
2019/10/24 09:45:59
Cool GTX
bdary
GTXJackBauer
XrayMan

I did get a chuckle out of that when I read it...

And Not Break More than it fixes

Time to re-image the drives just in case 
2019/10/24 09:56:37
flyinion
Well, I guess I'm pulling that update back out again.  Woke up this morning and the system was "stuck".  Monitors both dark but not in standby (backlight still on) and wouldn't wake up.  I use the "blank" screensaver and it's like it was stuck on that and not responding.  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account