• Software
  • Windows Updates successes and/or problems thread (p.102)
2024/05/30 06:41:30
bdary
Nereus
bdary
I'm no fan of ads, that's for sure. The big difference between Prime Video and Netflix etc, is you have to stream the service to get it. So you're at their mercy. But up to this point, Windows is software you purchase a license for. So as long as you have it installed on "your" computer, you can use tools like the registry editor (if comfortable) and others to disable things you don't want.

Maybe when MS starts renting you Windows on a monthly basis and you access it in the cloud, then you may not have a choice or will have to pay the extortion fee like Amazon charges for Prime.  That's my take on things from what I see at this point.

And that's it right there - they already call it "Windows as a service". Guarantee that Windows will become subscription based, just like MS Office has. Only a matter of time. Putting ads on and forcing you to pay to remove them (effectively ransomware) is the first step.

It won't be as easy to accomplish as a streaming service, but I wouldn't rule it out someday. At my age I just hope I'm long gone before things get to that point or too old to care about needing/wanting a Windows PC.
2024/05/30 10:26:05
Bobmitch
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (19045.4474)  All Good 

Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3672)  Had an issue where it crashed Corsair iCue 5.14.  Wouldn't load on startup and my AIO was running at default speeds.  Luckily, someone at Corsair had this issue earlier and the software team released iCue 5.15 which solved the issue...all seems good now.  Thanks Microsoft 
2024/05/30 10:55:34
bdary
Bobmitch
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (19045.4474)  All Good 

Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3672)  Had an issue where it crashed Corsair iCue 5.14.  Wouldn't load on startup and my AIO was running at default speeds.  Luckily, someone at Corsair had this issue earlier and the software team released iCue 5.15 which solved the issue...all seems good now.  Thanks Microsoft 

Good catch on the iCue thing and good to see Corsair was on top of it quick.
2024/05/30 10:58:43
bdary
Windows 11 Cumulative update KB5037853. All good other than what Bob mentioned above.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-kb5037853-update-fixes-file-explorer-issues-20-bugs/

Microsoft has released the May 2024 non-security preview update for Windows 11 versions 22H2 and 23H2, which includes 32 fixes and changes.
Among this cumulative update's highlights, Microsoft mentions fixing an issue causing the Windows File Explorer to freeze when swiping from the screen edge after turning off edge swiping and a second bug fix that causes it to start with a two-minute delay after pining a folder on a network share to Quick Access.
This month's preview update also rolls out a new account manager on the Start menu, making it easier to manage account settings and a new sound settings backup feature when the user signs into a Microsoft account.
KB5037853 is a monthly optional update that allows Windows admins to test improvements and fixes, which will be pushed to all customers with next month's Patch Tuesday release.

​​​​More highlights in the KB5037853 preview update

Besides the changes mentioned above, this Windows 11 optional release comes with additional fixes and improvements, some of the more significant ones listed below:
  • This update addresses an issue that affects Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) Audio headsets. They do not show the option to connect or disconnect.
  • This update addresses an issue that distorts parts of the screen when you use a Chromium-based browser to play a video.
  • This update addresses an issue that affects printers. They do not work as you expect when using AppContainer or in a restricted environment.
  • This update addresses an issue affecting an app that supports encrypted email. The app asks you to enter your credentials each time you open an encrypted email, even after you have entered your PIN at least once.
As revealed in February, Redmond will keep pushing non-security preview updates for Windows 11 22H2 Enterprise and Education editions until June 2025, while the Home, Pro, Pro Education, and Pro for Workstations customers will only receive them until June 26, 2024.
Based on user feedback, this date has been changed from February 27 to allow more customers to test new features and enhancements released more frequently through the company's so-called "continuous innovation" approach.
"This extension will allow IT administrators to test improvements and fixes ahead of the upcoming security update on more devices," Microsoft said.
According to Microsoft's Modern Lifecycle Policy, Windows 11 22H2 Enterprise and Education will reach the end of servicing on October 14, 2025, while Windows 11 22H2 Home and Pro editions will be retired on October 8, 2024.
Today, Microsoft also released the optional KB5037849 preview update for Windows 10 22H2, which includes nine fixes and changes.

2024/06/12 08:04:27
bdary
2024/06/13 12:36:24
Nereus

Just realized one of the recent MS updates enabled remote desktop on my laptop, which I definitely did not want on.

Go to Settings > System > Remote Desktop  ..to check if yours has been enabled.

2024/06/13 13:59:23
bdary
Nereus

Just realized one of the recent MS updates enabled remote desktop on my laptop, which I definitely did not want on.

Go to Settings > System > Remote Desktop  ..to check if yours has been enabled.

Gotta keep a close eye on MS for sure. They're pretty sneaky...  I keep all Remote desktop services set to disabled in the services.msc settings and for added insurance, Group Policy as well.

One of my biggest pet peeve's with MS since Windows 10 is them trying to change my settings during updates. Since then I use GPE quite a bit for various settings.
2024/06/20 09:17:31
Cool GTX
June updates installed on several W10 Pro & home rigs.  No issues to report.
After Nereus's warning above in post 1016 - I have confirmed, remote desktop is still off, on my Pro machine
2024/07/10 06:57:12
bdary
New Windows 11 updates released... One is for features/fixes, the other for security.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-kb5040442-update-released-with-31-fixes-changes/

https://www.ghacks.net/2024/07/09/the-windows-security-updates-of-july-2024-are-now-available/

One thing of note. If you had Windows Co-pilot disabled prior to the updates, you may need to go back and disable it again.
2024/07/10 20:53:41
Cool GTX
July updates for W10 installed - no issues to report

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account