2018/03/10 20:46:13
al108
Morgan MLGman
Honestly, I find it a bit sad that this is even an issue.

I recently acquired a GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid (upgraded from a Gigabyte GTX 980Ti XTREME GAMING) and I found it very loud, mainly because of the radiator fan which cannot go below 56% speed...
How is it possible that there's completely no control over it? Why isn't it running at lower RPM when idle?

I tried connecting the stock fan to a 4-pin header on my ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO ALPHA motherboard and controlling it through ASUS AI Suite 3, but if anything it only made things worse because the fan wouldn't go below 60% no matter what I did - so the only real option for me to get a quieter Hybrid GPU is buying an aftermarket, static pressure-oriented fan to slap it on the radiator and then connect it to my motherboard.

I've got to admit that I'm a bit disappointed as this is my first EVGA card and I've heard a lot of good things about them in the past.

Yeah, It appears that EVGA wanted to use a cheaper fan and save a couple of cents that way. I like the hybrid, but it took some work and money to make it acceptably quiet.
The radiator fan is not controllable by PWM as it only has two wires, so that is why you are seeing high RPMs. I have tried a Noctua S12A (not rated as high static pressure) and it works OK at moderate loads, but I ended up using F12, which is a little louder, but pushes more air through.
2018/03/10 21:11:11
al108
First, I must say that this is a great guide for setting up controlled radiator fan though motherboard.
Second, thanks for pointing out native 1080 ti capability to control PWM fan. I have connected a good PWM fan to the connector, and now, I can control it with the GPU slider/curve in Precision.

To the right of this connector there are two more PWM connectors. One has both the pump and the radiator connected to, and the next one is connected to onboard fan. Thus, EVGA should have used one to control a PWM radiator fan, one for controlling PWM pump, and the last one for controlling the On-board fan. I am not sure why EVGA did not do this. I suppose, they want us to buy the full hydro, but it is a do-it-yourself setup, which is even more involved than changing a fan in the hybrid version.
2018/03/10 21:33:03
bryanwilson437
al108
First, I must say that this is a great guide for setting up controlled radiator fan though motherboard.
Second, thanks for pointing out native 1080 ti capability to control PWM fan. I have connected a good PWM fan to the connector, and now, I can control it with the GPU slider/curve in Precision.

To the right of this connector there are two more PWM connectors. One has both the pump and the radiator connected to, and the next one (I assume would be used for Memory fan) is also empty. Thus, EVGA should have used one to control a PWM radiator fan, one for controlling PWM pump, and the last one for controlling the On-board fan. I am not sure why EVGA did not do this. I suppose, they want us to buy the full hydro, but it is a do-it-yourself setup, which is even more involved than changing a fan in the hybrid version.

The fan controller in Precision does not control the pwm fan. It's controlling the single fan that's actually on the card. You'll have to control the pwm fan through bios, speedfan, or some other fan control software provided by your motherboard manufacturer.
2018/03/10 22:24:18
al108
bryanwilson437
The fan controller in Precision does not control the pwm fan. It's controlling the single fan that's actually on the card. You'll have to control the pwm fan through bios, speedfan, or some other fan control software provided by your motherboard manufacturer.

You are correct, but as Quad5N noted in one of the posts the card has a PWM connector, which is controlled by Precision. Sorry I am still not able to post pictures/links due to "new member" restrictions, but look at the picture inside the card (posted sometime earlier by Quad5N). At the left bottom corner you will notice the 4-pin connector. If a PWM fan is connected there, the Precision will control it as it supposed to. The connector is smaller than normal fan connectors, but I had an extra one, and I made an adapter that allowed me to connected a 4-pin PWM fan there. The mod does require removing the shroud and a spare connector.

2018/03/10 23:50:30
bryanwilson437
Ahhhh, okay I see what you're saying now. I've never seen anyone do that. That's awesome.
2018/03/11 11:20:07
al108
bryanwilson437
Ahhhh, okay I see what you're saying now. I've never seen anyone do that. That's awesome.

Thanks, the mod would be very easy to do especially if someone could help identify the proper name/model# for the connectors.

2018/03/11 13:08:29
bryanwilson437
al108
bryanwilson437

Thanks, the mod would be very easy to do especially if someone could help identify the proper name/model# for the connectors.

Yeah that would be awesome to know. What I’d actually want to do myself is mod a 2 pin to 4 pin adapter and hook the pump up to it so I can put it at 90% to make it a little quieter. I do this with my cpu pump with pretty much no difference in performance. Curious if anyone else has done this.
2018/03/12 10:18:07
al108
Yes, I have done this with my CPU (using Corsair), I think that as long as there is some water flow, the heat is transferred from the block to the radiator just fine, and reduced RPM does make a big difference in pump noise.
I have not taken my pump apart from the card, but it looks like a standard sized pump, similar to what is used in Corsair and other CPU coolers. I do not know if EVGA pump is PWM capable and they just "forgot" to connect the other two wires. It maybe also possible to connect EVGA pump through a voltage reducing/regulating adapter. A simple adapter like the one provided with Noctua fans could work just fine.
On the other hand, I wonder if it may be possible to control the pump with a motherboard even though there is no RPM sensing wire.
2018/03/12 20:36:47
bryanwilson437
Looks like this adapter would work for connecting to the mini 4 pin headers on the card.
https://www.newegg.com/Pr...D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2018/03/13 10:56:50
al108
Yes, that should work, and I think this is a good alternative for those who want the fan connected to the card vs motherboard. Although connecting the fan to the motherboard does not require tools or the connector, I prefer to control all card features, including fans, from one place. I believe that EVGA's decision not to use PWM radiator fan and water pump is a big step backward.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account