2016/11/09 02:03:36
James63
ltgisabeachbum
aberdie
Just got my package in today and installed thermal pads in about 10 mins.  Instructions within the package are pretty straight forward and easy.

But what exactly is the newly applied thermal pad making contact with?

Looks like the fins of the heatsink, going by the picture in the tutorial. Seems like a real professional solution to their high end graphics card. Would be real nice to see toms hardware produce some flir images from their original card with the "fix" applied.
2016/11/09 04:19:39
the_Scarlet_one
ltgisabeachbum
But what exactly is the newly applied thermal pad making contact with?

The thermal pads make contact between baseplate and the fins on the cooler to draw heat from.the vrm to the fins through the baseplate.
2016/11/09 14:05:23
tisho1012
I did that today with my gtx 1080 ftw.... actually the size of the thermal pads should be: 2 mm between the PCB and the Backplate in order PCB to get good contact with the Backplate. Then, 1 mm between the heatsink and the midplate, cheers! 
2016/11/09 17:32:54
Enosoma
JayzTwoCents did a video applying TIM to a GPU where he literally slathers it on there, all over the die, all around it, to prove a point. Too much TIM isn't bad (and sometimes good?), while not enough (ESPECIALLY for GPUs) is a big problem.
2016/11/15 10:08:21
HellsAngel_NL
Where can you check the shipment status?
Ive tried asking evga twice on how long this takes but they are extremely good at evading such questions so all i got was vague misdirections at this pace my card could be dead and buried before i even get anything. They told me in the second time i asked
last monday they would ship but no mention where from thanks evga anyway so i blindly assumed to me but now i see that status page posted here i really wanna know how to find that because i bet i got nothing. Why so vague evga? you dont do vague accepting money is it this hard to answer where they ship from or give some guesstimate how long this takes? 2 support agents cant answer this? real nice always glad to pay 400 euro to have to screw around with it and be left in the dark but glad someone posted a nice guide this awesome job.
2016/11/15 10:20:05
the_Scarlet_one
You go to the page where you submitted the request.

EVGA is not going to give you a timeline until they have shipped the pads. The pads have to be cut at the factory, shipped to evga, sorted by evga, repackaged, then shipped to you. Be patient. Your card is going to be fine. If something happens, EVGA will take care of you.
2016/11/15 11:04:41
HellsAngel_NL
I wanted to pm you this answer but cant due to the rules so this is a bit offtopic.
so why did the 2 support agents have to give vague answers and not give the answer you give me a direct and normal answer? the other problem i asked and had no answer to since im in the netherlands i believe you have a holding in germany where are the pads shipped from? Its not so much evga taking care of me with rma etc would be right out an insult if they didnt but no one likes buying a 400 euro card or more just to go at it with few screw drivers for me this is a huge deal breaker and im not sure im sticking with evga in the future but i do know i will do some research see if you put padding on the cards or if we have to stab at them with screwdrivers again.
2016/11/15 11:15:03
ipkha
Thanks for the info. I did my mods asthma week. I put my own thermal paste on as it has better stats. One thing I did do was leave the connector on the back of the card. I just flipped the heatsink so I didn't have to pay it up. Unfortunately I will have to do it again as my early kit didn't include the vram pads. Even so, my temps dropped quite a bit combined with moving my card to the bottom slot.
2016/12/11 07:31:29
Xfade81
Sajin
WickedMONK3Y
Thanks for the thread. There is one thing concerning me when I look at the EVGA Guide to do this, and then look at yours, and then look at other disassembled coolers. Usually the VRM's on the front of the PCB should have the thermal pads physically on them and not over them on the base plate. As far as I am aware there is actually a thermal strip on the baseplate itself but its the gap between the fins on the cooler and the baseplate (and the dead zone underneath the fan by the VRM's) so there is little transfer from the plate to the fins.

Sorry for the long into but my question now comes in. EVGA's guide shows that you have to COVER the PWM's and VRMS while yours shows to still leave the PWM's open and put the pad over the VRM area of the base plate. Which method is actually correct because I am quite loath to disassemble 2 cards that cost well over $ 700 (our local exchange rate in South Africa at time of writing is almost 14 to 1 to the Dollar) unless I am 200% certain that I know what I am doing. We don't have the luxury of Cross shipping here and have to rely on standard RMA...

The reason I ask is when I look at the ASUS Strix Cooler, the Thermal pad makes contact with the VRMs only and the PWM's are left exposed. while EVGA wants us to put the pad over the PWMs...

EVGA Forum Moderators aren't EVGA employees. Do what EVGA has suggested in their official guide.

Pretty crap reply from a EVGA Mod :) A legit question no less.
I got the pads from EVGA but it does not make too much sense to cover them. Sure, it helps. But those were never the problem anyway?
2016/12/11 11:28:56
ipkha
To the best of my knowledge, the vrm has pads underneath the cooling plate. The pads cover the mosfets and Area over the vrm at the same time. Strictly overkill for the mosfets but no reason not to. Their faq says you can just put pads over the vrm section next to the mosfets if you buy your own pads.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account