2016/11/03 15:21:56
gelectrode
Anyone get anything saying there pads are on there way yet or are still in prep stage before sending out this fix?
Also interesting question WickedMONK3Y. I am thinking its just just not something that helps to cover the chocks so air cooling works fine, BUT evga just gives you a really wide and thick pad that should cover the VRM's and the PWM' as a just in case since they are already spending money to fix this mess up, might as well spend a tiny bit more to cover all areas. That is just my guess though and maybe iam giving them too much credit.
2016/11/04 00:18:58
WickedMONK3Y
Well my request for thermal mods went from "Awaiting approval" to "Awaiting shipping this morning... so once I get the pads I will have a look at what they send and see how best to install. I have ordered some Fujipoly pads as well from Amazon as I am going to redo the thermal pads on the VRAM and the VRM's under the Base Plate. Friend showed me an interesting mod he made on his 1080 FTW where he had a thin copper plate machined and tacked onto the bottom of his ACX where the thermal pad would go and he put a 0.5mm pad between the baseplate and this copper plate. I wont do that because I love my warranty too much but it would stop the dust that was mentioned in an earlier post from building up on the actual thermal pad. Compressed air would keep it clean but its too much of a mod...

2016/11/04 04:27:40
Cyanold
Scarlet-Tech
lebel
Nice instruction and very useful.

I feel some will be apprehensive to undertake such a task and could also be put off somewhat from buying said cards, especially as they may see it as an aftermarket fix, rather than an upgrade to a functionary device?

It is super easy to do. People need to understand, these cards are not made of very thin glass.. Just don't drop them and everything will be fine.

If there is anything I can do to make the guide better, please let me know.

Hi Scarlet,

Thanks for the effort to make the thermal pad instruction, it is really clear and helpful. If possible can i please get clarification that the mechanism of thermal pad. As we apply the thermal pad on the front and back, is that going to trap all the heat in the component which explain why the temperature is lower, or the component that behind the thermal pad will have the same temperature of the thermal pad as the test show of around 75 cesium degree.

Kind regards
2016/11/04 04:43:16
the_Scarlet_one
Cyanold
Hi Scarlet,

Thanks for the effort to make the thermal pad instruction, it is really clear and helpful. If possible can i please get clarification that the mechanism of thermal pad. As we apply the thermal pad on the front and back, is that going to trap all the heat in the component which explain why the temperature is lower, or the component that behind the thermal pad will have the same temperature of the thermal pad as the test show of around 75 cesium degree.

Kind regards

HI cyanold,

The thermal pads will transfer the heat, not trap it. The way it is working on the front is transferring the heat from the heatspreader to help fins to dissipate the heat through the fins. On the back, it is pulling heat from the PCB and transferring it to the backplate, which then dissipates it off the backplate into the case or out of the rear exhaust fan in the case.

Hopefully that makes sense.
2016/11/04 05:57:41
markovian
I installed the hybrid kit on my 1080 ftw , but I'm still a bit paranoid about the inductors not being actively cooled. Would there be no point to installing the thin strip thermal mod to the front of the card (on the inductors) since there is no heatsink above them in the hybrid kit? I'll still put the huge thermal pad on the back to help.
2016/11/04 06:26:58
the_Scarlet_one
There is no airflow restriction with the hybrid, so the airflow from the blower fan should cool your VRM fairly well. If you decide to put something on the top of the heat spreader, you could get small copper heatsinks for relatively low price, and install them directly over the heatspreader. That would draw even more heat away from the heatsink.
2016/11/04 09:29:33
kaats
Could you please give some information about the way to check/replace vram thermal pads?

Thanks
2016/11/04 12:39:50
ltgisabeachbum
I don't understand why a thermal pad is being applied. A thermal pad is is to fill the gap between the baseplate of the heatsink of the chip to be cooled, thus filling a very small air gap. The acx 3.0 heatsink that i seen in the pictures and and videos has no baseplate on the heatsink over the vrm area. So basically your just mashing the fins of the heatsink into the thermal pads. Imagine taking your tower cpu cooler, turning it on its side and have the fins make contact with your cpu instead of the base plate and heat pipes. This really makes no sense to me. If the ACX 3.0 cooler wasn't designed with a mating surface over the vrms, i don't see how you can fix the problem with thermal pads afterwards.
2016/11/04 13:00:26
aberdie
Just got my package in today and installed thermal pads in about 10 mins.  Instructions within the package are pretty straight forward and easy.
2016/11/04 13:03:16
ltgisabeachbum
aberdie
Just got my package in today and installed thermal pads in about 10 mins.  Instructions within the package are pretty straight forward and easy.

But what exactly is the newly applied thermal pad making contact with?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account