2016/11/02 22:07:34
RKarov
Yes this demo is different, I will go with the one in the PDF and that was shown by Jay and Gamer Nexus.
2016/11/03 00:48:47
WickedMONK3Y
Thanks for the thread. There is one thing concerning me when I look at the EVGA Guide to do this, and then look at yours, and then look at other disassembled coolers. Usually the VRM's on the front of the PCB should have the thermal pads physically on them and not over them on the base plate. As far as I am aware there is actually a thermal strip on the baseplate itself but its the gap between the fins on the cooler and the baseplate (and the dead zone underneath the fan by the VRM's) so there is little transfer from the plate to the fins.

Sorry for the long into but my question now comes in. EVGA's guide shows that you have to COVER the PWM's and VRMS while yours shows to still leave the PWM's open and put the pad over the VRM area of the base plate. Which method is actually correct because I am quite loath to disassemble 2 cards that cost well over $ 700 (our local exchange rate in South Africa at time of writing is almost 14 to 1 to the Dollar) unless I am 200% certain that I know what I am doing. We don't have the luxury of Cross shipping here and have to rely on standard RMA...

The reason I ask is when I look at the ASUS Strix Cooler, the Thermal pad makes contact with the VRMs only and the PWM's are left exposed. while EVGA wants us to put the pad over the PWMs...

2016/11/03 00:57:46
Sajin
WickedMONK3Y
Thanks for the thread. There is one thing concerning me when I look at the EVGA Guide to do this, and then look at yours, and then look at other disassembled coolers. Usually the VRM's on the front of the PCB should have the thermal pads physically on them and not over them on the base plate. As far as I am aware there is actually a thermal strip on the baseplate itself but its the gap between the fins on the cooler and the baseplate (and the dead zone underneath the fan by the VRM's) so there is little transfer from the plate to the fins.

Sorry for the long into but my question now comes in. EVGA's guide shows that you have to COVER the PWM's and VRMS while yours shows to still leave the PWM's open and put the pad over the VRM area of the base plate. Which method is actually correct because I am quite loath to disassemble 2 cards that cost well over $ 700 (our local exchange rate in South Africa at time of writing is almost 14 to 1 to the Dollar) unless I am 200% certain that I know what I am doing. We don't have the luxury of Cross shipping here and have to rely on standard RMA...

The reason I ask is when I look at the ASUS Strix Cooler, the Thermal pad makes contact with the VRMs only and the PWM's are left exposed. while EVGA wants us to put the pad over the PWMs...

EVGA Forum Moderators aren't EVGA employees. Do what EVGA has suggested in their official guide.
2016/11/03 03:42:28
tommyv2
Same question here. Why does EVGA want the chokes covered by the thermal pads? What this OP guide is suggesting makes a lot more sense.
2016/11/03 04:09:18
mobsters
Is there some reason you should not cover PWMs like EVGA is showing?
2016/11/03 04:44:57
WickedMONK3Y
Sajin
WickedMONK3Y

EVGA Forum Moderators aren't EVGA employees. Do what EVGA has suggested in their official guide.

I fully understand that but I feel the question is quite valid considering every other 3rd party cooling solution only puts padding on the VRM's and excludes the PWM's, leaving them to be air cooled. Covering that section also stops a potential air flow point underneath the base plate. If somebody from EVGA could comment it would help.
2016/11/03 07:51:55
evgacustomer01
What kind of pads do I need if the RAM isn't properly attached by EVGA pads to the plate? Since this isn't addressed by the Thermalmod and EVGA is quiet on the issue, I'm really left wondering what to do. There are even people who get a RMA'd card with installed Thermalmod and the RAM still isn't touching the plate. So whoever is doing the Thermalmod at EVGA, isn't checking the RAM pads.
2016/11/03 07:58:26
the_Scarlet_one
evgacustomer01
What kind of pads do I need if the RAM isn't properly attached by EVGA pads to the plate? Since this isn't addressed by the Thermalmod and EVGA is quiet on the issue, I'm really left wondering what to do. There are even people who get a RMA'd card with installed Thermalmod and the RAM still isn't touching the plate. So whoever is doing the Thermalmod at EVGA, isn't checking the RAM pads.

You could get 1.5mm pads. The stock ones are supposed to be 1mm, so adding a little more height should fix the gap.

You could also utilize 2mm pads, and just not tighten down the cooler quite as much, but I would suggest 1.5mm pads.
2016/11/03 08:01:21
the_Scarlet_one
WickedMONK3Y

I personally won't cover the chokes. The only reason I could not mimic that is because this went up before evga posted their guide. Evga used a much wider pads than I had available.

I personally will not block the opening where the chokes are, so that a little air can flow through the plate itself. My waterblocks do jot make contact with the chokes either, so I am thinking the same as you.

Honestly, I am not sure EVGA will make any comment about this. Their guide is posted, and they have provided the information that they wanted put out, so go with what they say if you are comfortable with it.
2016/11/03 15:03:57
velo-x
I wonder about that thermal pad that sticks to the cooler. How is it going to perform a year from now when its all dusty ? 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account