2016/11/02 09:12:26
the_Scarlet_one
No, that isn't what is being said. There has always been a thermal pad between the mosfets and the heatspreader. The thermal pads go between the heatspreader and the fins to the cooler. It is an additional thermal pad being added.
2016/11/02 11:18:58
Chloestick
What is the thermal conductivity rating on the thermal pads that are being sent out? Is a 1mm thick pad with a 6.0 W/mK rating good enough?
2016/11/02 11:28:00
the_Scarlet_one
Chloestick
What is the thermal conductivity rating on the thermal pads that are being sent out? Is a 1mm thick pad with a 6.0 W/mK rating good enough?

Currently, I have no idea what pads they are sending out. I would think the 6w/mK would be fine.
2016/11/02 12:28:23
whitezero
Scarlet-Tech

Clean the TIM off of the GPU core using Rubbing alcohol or Articlean 2 part TIM cleaner, and apply the thermal pad just behind the chokes, directly above the mosfets: (do NOT reapply thermal paste to the core just yet)

Is this part just way off? The PDF shows the pad as being over the chokes, not behind them? 
2016/11/02 12:30:19
bcavnaugh
whitezero
Scarlet-Tech

Clean the TIM off of the GPU core using Rubbing alcohol or Articlean 2 part TIM cleaner, and apply the thermal pad just behind the chokes, directly above the mosfets: (do NOT reapply thermal paste to the core just yet)

Is this part just way off? The PDF shows the pad as being over the chokes, not behind them? 

He did Post this Update:

**Update 2: http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/ EVGA just announced they are posting a vBIOS update for the fan speed soon. The thermal pads that EVGA is going to send out are much large than then ones I had available, and will cover the VRM as well as the chokes on the front side of the PCB, and a much larger ares on the back of the card. the EVGA guide is available here: http://www.evga.com/therm...installation_guide.pdf
2016/11/02 14:35:15
the_Scarlet_one
whitezero
Scarlet-Tech

BCav already posted, but EVGA is using what looks like 40 or 60mm wide pads.  I had 20mm pads available, so I utilized those.  I have never seen the chokes covered before, but I have seen and used many items that cover the mosfets, which are directly under the thermal pad that I placed on the heat spreader. 
2016/11/02 17:14:48
whitezero
Gamer's Nexus has a video tutorial up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQYP0SN_Kk

2016/11/02 21:20:48
Sorig
I cannot wait until EVGA decides to aprove my thermal mod request while my card's vrm may be running just below its temp limit so I'm gonna make my own in the mean time.

The thickest thermal pads I can get are 1.5mm. Steve at Gamer Nexus said in their video the thermal mod comes with pads 2mm thick.
Will the 1.5mm pads be fine and NOT leave gaps? What if I stack (2) 1mm pads instead? Will that affect the heat transfer?

Also is NT-H1 paste good enough for a GPU? It's the only I have available.
2016/11/02 21:41:25
DeathAngel74
Maybe a little. I'm doing the same thing tomorrow. Going to use (2) Fujipoly 1mm's stacked 17w/mk(4 total, front and back). Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut between die and heatsink. Something is better than nothing....it may take a week or two or three. Who knows when...100's or 1000's of people probably requested pads on 10/24. Guess we have to be patient. 
2016/11/02 21:59:07
brokencross
Any word on the time frame the pads will be shipped to EU customers? It seems some american users have already received the notification they've been shipped.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account