EVGA

eVGA Support

Author
mdun6
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/11/14 14:48:28 (permalink)
Anyone know what is going on with eVGA? Is the company healthy? 

The reason I ask,

I have been using eVGA products since 2006. Motherboards, Video Cards and PSU's. I have been considering buying a new video card lately but after a friend of mine texted me about her experience today with their tech support I don't think I can buy from eVGA again. 

The Story.
My friends card has been overheating so she sent the card in under an RMA for replacement. She receives an email today stating: "This email is to inform you that EVGA is unable to process your RMA request and returning the product for the following reasons: "Your EVGA graphics card is unable to be processed for warranty service as it arrived with a tarnished heatsink and bracket with strong non- electrical smell and has resulted in damage to the product from improper operation and maintenance not covered under EVGA's warranty".

So she calls them up and they tell her they won't even test the card because they is some dust on it that appears to have a red tint to it (which by the picture I saw the dust is not bad) and it smells funny. Then they actually tell her that they going to ship the card back to her so she can take the card apart, let it sit for a few days, reassembly the card and send it back to them, and then email her this: "As discussed per our call, please respond back to this email once you have images of the graphics card showing that it has been cleaned up. Feel free to take the card apart and if you need a tutorial let me know so that I can send you to a good source, removing the heatsink from the graphics card is not too difficult. I will also let you know when the graphics card is on its way back". 

So why am I upset with the way eVGA is handling this? I was one of the people when she was picking parts telling to buy only eVGA because their customer service is the best I have ever had to deal with and there products are the absolute best on the market. She does not have the technical know how to be taking video card apart nor do I think she should have to. 

So has anyone else been treated this way and is this the new eVGA standards? 

mdun6 

10 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: eVGA Support 2018/11/14 14:58:56 (permalink)
    I am wondering what caused the smell and the red dust. I am wondering if something else was having a problem inside the system or if it's the environment that the computer would be used in. Just want to make sure that nothing else is going to go bad.

It might also help to show any pictures that they gave so we can see just what you are talking about for red dust.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: eVGA Support 2018/11/14 15:14:36 (permalink)
    I agree, pictures tell a thousand words. Obviously we won’t be able to smell anything, but visuals help.

Does she have pets? Is she a smoker by any chance? Does she have the computer on the ground pulling in extra dust?

I understand this can be frustrating, but cleaning the cars may not require taking the entire card apart. She may be able to remove much of the dust with an air duster, then just let it air out. You stated she has pictures. Could you please share those (cover serial numbers if they are showing) please.
    mdun6
    Re: eVGA Support 2018/11/14 15:19:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for your replies. 

Here are the pictures. I will tell you she has been complaining of some sort of rubbing noise coming from the tower and now that the video card has been shipped back  and she is using on board video the rubbing sound is gone. Makes me think the red dust is coming from the card? 

mdun6

Attached Image(s)

mdun6
    Re: eVGA Support 2018/11/14 15:58:06 (permalink)
    Also here is a picture of the inside of her case. 
    post edited by mdun6 - 2018/11/14 16:01:28

Attached Image(s)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31004
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: eVGA Support 2018/11/14 16:10:57 (permalink)
    To answer you question in first post - Warranty Terms have been updated (start in the region of the world where you are, then select a product line)

My best guess as to why EVGA would return the card to the owner to clean:
    EVGA as a company would have no idea of the source of the "contamination on the card", making it hard to be compliant on EPA & OSHA requirements if they were to clean the card.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

TheMadDutchDude
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 212
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: eVGA Support 2018/11/14 18:00:59 (permalink)
    That would be my guess too. They aren't sure what it is, and they are not going to risk their employees getting sick because of an unidentified substance on the card.
    JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: eVGA Support 2018/11/14 18:40:47 (permalink)
    The rubbing sound could be the wire rubbing on the fan there's plenty on the under side and there's also 1 very close to the top PCI-E.

That cable looks like you could run it from the top instead.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: eVGA Support 2018/11/14 19:02:36 (permalink)

This should have been moved to the Warranty section. Moving thread now.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: eVGA Support 2018/11/14 21:55:40 (permalink)
    Hello mdun6,

As I spoke with your friend on the phone and explained we simply cannot accept units in this condition I did recommend she disassemble the unit and give it a good clean and send it back for RMA and we'll cover the shipping. Please let us know if you have any other questions. 
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: eVGA Support 2018/11/15 04:19:51 (permalink)
    The friend should of cleaned the card up some before sending it in. I have seen evga offer to clean a card for a small for fee on here before.  

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile