eVGA CLCs and NZXT Kraken G12 GPU Bracket compatibility results

Author
emertinsp201
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/03/02 08:50:24 (permalink)
Hi everyone,

upon searching up and down on the web trying to find out whether eVGA CLCs and NZXt Kraken G12 GPU brackets were compatible, I was amazed by the lack of information. I was not able to find a solid answer.

Well, here's my contribution then. Figured the best place to inform of my findings is the eVGA forums. I decided to go ahead and wing it, as I had a 240 CLC being used by my CPU, and a G12 coming in. Installed it onto an eVGA GTX 1080 Classified:

So, it does fit, but there are some things that must be noted.

1. It has to go installed in that skewed fashion for nvidia cards. Otherwise the casing will interfere with the mounting holes.
2. It will not fit AMD cards. Skewed or not, the casing is set over the mounting holes for AMD cards in a way where the thumbscrews will not go in. Using equally long and threaded screws over the thumbscrews the G12 comes with may be possible, but entails some risk of crushing the die if not careful.
3. Nn evga cards, and likely others, unless you use a copper shim or dremel the screw point "arms" around the die on the baseplate, the waterblock will not make contact with the die. I initially used a 20x20x1.2mm copper shim, and worked. After placing the Thermal Pad upgrade kit on the card, 1.2mm thickness would no longer do. I'm assuming the new, improved pads raised the baseplate just enough so that the die and waterblock wouldn't do optimal contact anymore. So, 1.2mm thickness shim for unmodified cards, 1.4-1.6mm shims for modified.

So there you go. Now we all know.
So you have a point of comparison, this was installed into a well ventilated mATX Fractal Design Define Mini C in a room with ambient of about 25C, the CPU now using an Arctic Frezer 33 eSports One heatsink (for $30, it's very good), and the GTX 1080 OCed to +100 Core, +500 Mem, is full loading at about 51C.

As you can tell, I really like eVGA and Arctic. Top-notch companies and products in their respective areas.
post edited by emertinsp201 - 2018/03/02 09:03:26

7 Replies Related Threads

danvas
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: eVGA CLCs and NZXT Kraken G12 GPU Bracket compatibility results 2018/03/09 19:13:45 (permalink)
    I was actually trying to find this same exact solution with the same define mini c case (what luck)! I'm glad to hear that the asetek pump is compatible with the bracket. Thank you so much for posting this. I am however confused about the details of point 3. I'm unsure of what any of that really means from an installation point-of-view. Are you saying there is an issue that requires modifications in the mounting process? Could I get a ELI5 of point 3 possibly lol. My understanding from your write up is there is no issues as long as its an nvidia card and you're okay with the skewed waterblock. I have a zotac 1080ti amp! edition. Any clarification would be helpful, cheers.

EDIT*
          So I did googling on what you were talking about and I think I understand what you meant but hopefully you can chime in in case anyone else finds this confusing too. Basically my original understanding is true, however you may need to add a piece of copper shim to allow proper contact between the die and cooler, very similar to the contact needed between a IHS of a cpu and a waterblock for proper thermal conduction (delidding guides ftw).
          If you search on amazon you can find a pack of 20x20x1.2mm copper shims for $8. Unless you are using the EVGA thermal modding kit for the 1080/1070 series of GPU's (you will know if you're using this, it had to be requested) you will fall into the "unmodified" category and the 1.2mm copper shim will probably allow contact.
          My new question is how do I use this shim and where do i put it? Do i need thermal compound on both sides of it? I believe it would go into the NZXT g12 bracket hole over the die of the GPU with thermal compound on top of it and once the cpu cooler is put over it it will clamp down and hold it in place but again, clarification would help. Thanks.
    post edited by danvas - 2018/03/09 20:16:39
    batboy88
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re: eVGA CLCs and NZXT Kraken G12 GPU Bracket compatibility results 2018/03/09 21:58:06 (permalink)
    I think you're better off with the Loop anyways and just blocking everything and whatever standard g1/4" 3/8''-1/2" etc still tried and true.

7700k/5.2ghz-1.34v/ FTW K/ custom Loop/ Crucial/Micron Ballistix- 3200mhz/ Vega 56 Reference/ Cooler Master GXII Pro 750w

2600x/MSI X470 4.3ghz
    emertinsp201
    Re: eVGA CLCs and NZXT Kraken G12 GPU Bracket compatibility results 2018/03/12 07:43:12 (permalink)
    danvas
    EDIT*
        So I did googling on what you were talking about and I think I understand what you meant but hopefully you can chime in in case anyone else finds this confusing too. Basically my original understanding is true, however you may need to add a piece of copper shim to allow proper contact between the die and cooler, very similar to the contact needed between a IHS of a cpu and a waterblock for proper thermal conduction (delidding guides ftw).
          If you search on amazon you can find a pack of 20x20x1.2mm copper shims for $8. Unless you are using the EVGA thermal modding kit for the 1080/1070 series of GPU's (you will know if you're using this, it had to be requested) you will fall into the "unmodified" category and the 1.2mm copper shim will probably allow contact.
          My new question is how do I use this shim and where do i put it? Do i need thermal compound on both sides of it? I believe it would go into the NZXT g12 bracket hole over the die of the GPU with thermal compound on top of it and once the cpu cooler is put over it it will clamp down and hold it in place but again, clarification would help. Thanks.

Hi, yes, the shim goes between the die and the waterblock. You do need to put thermal paste between all contacts (between die and shim, and shim and waterblock). Be careful, as the shim is not that big, you don't need to apply a lot. I know, I had to clean a lot of it off after my first try. Those shims you mention at amazon are exactly the ones I used.

As for building a custom loop and including the card into that, yes, that's of course more efficient and less guess-work, but is much more expensive. My first set up was pairing the card with the NZXT G12 ($25) and a generic, used 120mm AIO from Asetek I got for $35. That's $60 to watercool your card compared to hundreds for a custom loop. Temps with that set up were about 62-65 C with the same OC as right now. I did not mention, that I decided to watercool the card, as the Classified is massive for the Define Mini C, blocking so much within the case that prevented it from breathing freely, so with the stock air cooler, it was even reaching 85C with agressive fan curve.
    Mimalmo
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: eVGA CLCs and NZXT Kraken G12 GPU Bracket compatibility results 2018/04/28 13:58:04 (permalink)
    Hi, I have the EVGA 280 CLC and I'm trying to LC my MSI 980Ti Golden edition. So far, after lots of fiddling around with fan profiles and overclocks, I have my temps at 64/65c. I have double checked everything and decided to go internet hunting for some help. Do you think I could benefit from the copper pad? Everywhere I go online asking for help, everyone agrees "65c is a good temp, but not a good temp for a 280mm rad, something must be up." So would that possibly be the solution? And if it is, do I use thermal paste between the copper pad and the AIO or between the GPU die and the copper pad? 
    emertinsp201
    Re: eVGA CLCs and NZXT Kraken G12 GPU Bracket compatibility results 2018/04/30 07:30:29 (permalink)
    check case airflow. My GTX 1080 Classy gets to 61C with a 240mm in a warm room in a mATX case. However, I don't believe a copper shim would help. It either makes contact or not, and that's when you need a shim. If it wasn't making proper contact, you'd notice it reaching excessively high temperatures.
    Danielhuman
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: eVGA CLCs and NZXT Kraken G12 GPU Bracket compatibility results 2019/03/29 23:14:18 (permalink)
    My gpu almost hit 90c
    Danielhuman
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: eVGA CLCs and NZXT Kraken G12 GPU Bracket compatibility results 2019/03/30 07:51:29 (permalink)
    It will get much much hotter if there is no contact.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile