EVGA

Helpful ReplyeBay'd 1070 FTW Fan Shroud Cable

Author
toddryan84
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/06/13 14:38:06 (permalink)
About three weeks ago I picked up a 1070 FTW off eBay. Though the seller claimed it wasn't a miner card, I made sure to check the fans were working by putting it under bench loads, setting fan curves, and playing some vidya. While it ran hotter than my last card, it wasn't throttling, peaking in the high 70s. After a week or so without issue, I gave the seller positive feedback.

Out of curiosity I googled the average temps and eventually landed on the EVGA ThermalMod site. I slapped in the serial number and learned the card was affected. More, it was still running the old vbios and lacked the thermal mod kit. Support told me I could either request the kit or do a standard RMA. Having my old card on hand, I chose the latter. 

Today I received an email informing me that my RMA was denied due to a cut fan shroud cable;

I'm confused and upset with myself for not noticing this. How were the fans and shroud LEDs working with that damage? Could I have played hours of the unoptimized mess that is Rising Storm 2 without noticing or overheating? What was I hearing when testing a 100% fan curve? 

Assuming I don't get the card back before the eBay return window closes, how difficult of a repair is this? Can I just buy a new cable? 

Any help is appreciated.

Attached Image(s)

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: eBay'd 1070 FTW Fan Shroud Cable 2019/06/13 17:00:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby toddryan84 2019/06/13 23:47:59
toddryan84
About three weeks ago I picked up a 1070 FTW off eBay. Though the seller claimed it wasn't a miner card, I made sure to check the fans were working by putting it under bench loads, setting fan curves, and playing some vidya. While it ran hotter than my last card, it wasn't throttling, peaking in the high 70s. After a week or so without issue, I gave the seller positive feedback.

Out of curiosity I googled the average temps and eventually landed on the EVGA ThermalMod site. I slapped in the serial number and learned the card was affected. More, it was still running the old vbios and lacked the thermal mod kit. Support told me I could either request the kit or do a standard RMA. Having my old card on hand, I chose the latter. 

Today I received an email informing me that my RMA was denied due to a cut fan shroud cable;

I'm confused and upset with myself for not noticing this. How were the fans and shroud LEDs working with that damage? Could I have played hours of the unoptimized mess that is Rising Storm 2 without noticing or overheating? What was I hearing when testing a 100% fan curve? 

Assuming I don't get the card back before the eBay return window closes, how difficult of a repair is this? Can I just buy a new cable? 

Any help is appreciated.

That's an easy repair. The wire is long enough where you can just cut the wire to make clean ends. Leave about an 1/8 inch bare copper. You can either twist them longitudinally and cover with  heat shrink tubing  or solder them together and heat shrink. Either should last the life of the card. Of course unplugging the connector makes it much easier to work with. Trust me...I've done it...ha ha...

Edit..and I've done this too...make sure you put the heat shrink tubing on BEFORE you repair the wires...
post edited by HeavyHemi - 2019/06/13 17:04:09

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

toddryan84
Re: eBay'd 1070 FTW Fan Shroud Cable 2019/06/25 12:21:52 (permalink)
Finally got the card back today and threw it in my rig without touching the shroud cable at all. Both fans are spinning fine on a custom curve but the LEDs, which worked before, are now dead. Meaning I paid the shipping for a declined RMA, lost productivity for 2 1/2 weeks, and somehow ended up with a card in a less functional state than what I had sent in.

Worse, because it now appears the damage occurred during the RMA process, I can't in good faith file a return with the eBay seller.

I sent in a perfectly functional card in need of a vbios/thermal pad upgrade and am left with a semi-functional GPU with broken LEDs  and a damaged cable in need of repair. The uploaded invoice shows the card was purchased as a working, full functional unit earlier this month.

Do I have any recourse whatsoever? 
post edited by toddryan84 - 2019/06/25 12:51:40
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: eBay'd 1070 FTW Fan Shroud Cable 2019/06/25 13:38:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby toddryan84 2019/06/25 14:59:48
toddryan84
Finally got the card back today and threw it in my rig without touching the shroud cable at all. Both fans are spinning fine on a custom curve but the LEDs, which worked before, are now dead. Meaning I paid the shipping for a declined RMA, lost productivity for 2 1/2 weeks, and somehow ended up with a card in a less functional state than what I had sent in.

Worse, because it now appears the damage occurred during the RMA process, I can't in good faith file a return with the eBay seller.

I sent in a perfectly functional card in need of a vbios/thermal pad upgrade and am left with a semi-functional GPU with broken LEDs  and a damaged cable in need of repair. The uploaded invoice shows the card was purchased as a working, full functional unit earlier this month.

Do I have any recourse whatsoever? 

Hmm, apparently you're now trying to create a record that EVGA damaged your GPU? You're claiming now, that other than the thermal pad mod, the GPU including the LEDS was operating normally. That NOW, the wires are damaged and the LEDS do not work. Is that correct? In any event, get the kit, replace the thermal pads, repair the wires and you should have a 100% operating GPU. Perhaps not exactly how you wanted it, but? Unless you're going to file a claim, work with what you have.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

toddryan84
Re: eBay'd 1070 FTW Fan Shroud Cable 2019/06/25 14:23:34 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Hmm, apparently you're now trying to create a record that EVGA damaged your GPU?

I'm at a loss for any other possibilities to explain the cards behavior. As stated in my op, it was an otherwise working card lacking the vbios upgrade and thermal pad mods. I created a support ticket initially to request the thermal pads and was given the option of a standard RMA. Less work for me, so I accepted and mailed it in. The RMA was then declined due to cable damage, causing the confusion that prompted me to post here. Again, because the card had been working.

Taking EVGA at their word, I assumed the damaged cable was indeed preexisting and just presented in a way I stupidly overlooked; not enough power to the fans perhaps. I knew they spun because I had tested them, but I didn't clock the RPMs. I figured; that sucks, lesson learned.

Now that the card is back in my possession, however, dead LEDs means that damage had to have been either caused or greatly exacerbated by the RMA or shipping process, otherwise they'd still be working, right?

HeavyHemi
In any event, get the kit, replace the thermal pads, repair the wires and you should have a 100% operating GPU. Perhaps not exactly how you wanted it, but? Unless you're going to file a claim, work with what you have.

Yeah, I'd just rather not reward the eBay user selling damaged GPUs with voided warranties as "like new" covered cards. No way of knowing, now.
post edited by toddryan84 - 2019/06/25 14:59:42
jwelshiv
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: eBay'd 1070 FTW Fan Shroud Cable 2019/07/10 17:28:46 (permalink)
This exact same story happened to me. I sent my 1070 ftw in for RMA (without any damage), then notified this same cord was somehow clean cut. My $10 fedex insurance didn’t cover, I was provided with 0 information on how I might fix, and now the lights don’t work.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile