Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
2018/08/30 23:07:56 (permalink)
I think evga should do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers. If you want to reduce "spam", set limits for how many "hot deals" from the same retailer, any member including moderators can post per day/week. Think about disabling post count for this section. Another idea would be to add a requirement for tags to be used in the titles. That would allow members who might not like that retailer to see at a glance, without having to open the topic. If i post a "Hot Deal" on a product i think is on sale for a good price. Any member should be free to comment on it for any reason, long as they stay on topic.

It seems some members have forgotten this is a discussion board. If all you want is URL's for "deals" on the internet, setup a RSS feed for that.

67 Replies Related Threads

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/08/31 15:44:03 (permalink)
    Here's some examples for what members should be able to comment on Hot Deals posted by other members.

If i make a Hot Deal post about a product on Amazon, if another member see's it for less at Newegg, that member should be allowed to alert members to it. If the creator of that Hot Deal wants, they can edit the original post to add that information.

If i make a post about a hot deal i find, if another member knows that product isn't very good or the mfg  is having quality control issues, other members should be allowed to post about that in that hot deals thread.

Look on Reddit or website dedicated to posting deals, they allow users to comment. That is why i don't think evga should consolidate deals from select retailers.

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/02 14:04:22 (permalink)
    If consolidating deals is a good idea, what about doing the same thing for other sections of the forums. If a members posts 8-10 News links from the same website each day, lets consolidate those links to allow members to see News from other outlets. 

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/03 10:03:41 (permalink)
    I'm surprised EVGA allows referral linking at all. 
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/03 10:20:06 (permalink)
    MSim
    If consolidating deals is a good idea, what about doing the same thing for other sections of the forums. If a members posts 8-10 News links from the same website each day, lets consolidate those links to allow members to see News from other outlets. 

The news forums have already a set limit by management and that rule is enforced. Consolidating links is not a good idea because news sites tend to post various articles throughout the day.

Your ideas from several months past have already been integrated into the news forum. I don't see EVGA changing that anytime soon. However, if you wish to voice your concerns and have more ideas send those to webmaster@evga.com

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/03 15:32:46 (permalink)
    fearpoint

Are these referral links? How do you know when they are referral links?
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/03 21:49:50 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    MSim

The news forums have already a set limit by management and that rule is enforced. Consolidating links is not a good idea because news sites tend to post various articles throughout the day.

Your ideas from several months past have already been integrated into the news forum. I don't see EVGA changing that anytime soon. However, if you wish to voice your concerns and have more ideas send those to webmaster@evga.com

If consolidating news links isn't a good idea, why do it to Hot Deals posts. It doesn't allow members to see the Hot Deals at a glance. Other ways to deal with members spamming "hot deals" to increase post count.

Just so you know ChrisB has stated before that members are allowed to post concerns on the forums. After making this topic, i alerted Eddie about it.

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/03 21:56:38 (permalink)
    fearpoint

I would think they would fall under self promoting, wouldn't it?

Self-Advertising - Self-advertising is defined as linking to an external website promoting either yourself, your family, a friend, or an employer for 3rd-Party promotions not sponsored by EVGA, employment, recruiting, or any other purpose where the poster stands to gain by posting such link.  EVGA may allow such links to be posted if the poster first asks the moderators or an admin to review the content and express approval is given prior to posting.  Otherwise, failure to first contact EVGA may result in a thread/post being edited or deleted, and may be cause for a warning.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/04 11:48:55 (permalink)
    fearpoint

Why would EVGA not want referrals to their own Products to an Authorized Seller?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/04 14:31:49 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    fearpoint

Why would EVGA not want referrals to their own Products to an Authorized Seller?

referral linking = % of sale from URL goes to whom it's connected to. Companies selling products don't referral their own products. You better believe it's self promotion when people post them because they are trying to earn money for themselves. You can spot referral links typically by the URL ending in ref(with some numbers) or any link where there is a series of numbers after the product URL address. Some are sneaky and try to redirect to cover referral linking, but if you're clicking on a URL that redirect to a product page that is always a referral in action.  You see this typically in YouTube video descriptions and sometimes the channel will be upfront about it, but typically the entire purpose behind referral linking is to do it without the user knowing again to make money.

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/04 14:36:00 (permalink)
    MSim
    rjohnson11
    MSim

If consolidating news links isn't a good idea, why do it to Hot Deals posts. It doesn't allow members to see the Hot Deals at a glance. Other ways to deal with members spamming "hot deals" to increase post count.

Just so you know ChrisB has stated before that members are allowed to post concerns on the forums. After making this topic, i alerted Eddie about it.

Even worse when actual discussion is outright prevented in the thread when the entire purpose of a forum is discussion, not to spam ref links and repost deals millions of other people see from daily sales newsletters of the biggest tech domains on the internet. 
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/04 15:31:42 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    bcavnaugh
    fearpoint

referral linking = % of sale from URL goes to whom it's connected to. Companies selling products don't referral their own products. You better believe it's self promotion when people post them because they are trying to earn money for themselves. You can spot referral links typically by the URL ending in ref(with some numbers) or any link where there is a series of numbers after the product URL address. Some are sneaky and try to redirect to cover referral linking, but if you're clicking on a URL that redirect to a product page that is always a referral in action.  You see this typically in YouTube video descriptions and sometimes the channel will be upfront about it, but typically the entire purpose behind referral linking is to do it without the user knowing again to make money.

Is there one in my link that I do not know about?
    https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Keyboard-Mechanical-Switches-802-ZT-N101-KR/dp/B07BV3B2NR/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1535570206&sr=1-1&keywords=802-ZT-N101-KR&dpID=51SvS7BpvxL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/05 00:50:09 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    fearpoint
    bcavnaugh
    fearpoint

Is there one in my link that I do not know about?
    https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Keyboard-Mechanical-Switches-802-ZT-N101-KR/dp/B07BV3B2NR/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1535570206&sr=1-1&keywords=802-ZT-N101-KR&dpID=51SvS7BpvxL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

That link is not a referral link. The ref in it, is about the search terms you used on Amazon site. You don't gain any benefit from people clicking or buying the product using that link.

If you wanted to, you can remove everything past the / before "ref=" in that link. Just post it like this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Keyboard-Mechanical-Switches-802-ZT-N101-KR/dp/B07BV3B2NR

(not saying you have to or anything)

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/06 01:28:03 (permalink)
    I'm trying to find the logic in this. A member or two posts a few Amazon deals, all of a sudden now we must consolidate Amazon "hot deals".

It's perfectly fine for any member to post up to 10 articles from the same tech news website in the Computer Industry News section (has happened countless times), without the need for a sticky post to consolidate links from select tech news websites.

Do like every other forums does that has a "Deals" section. Have all of them under one section without any sticky posts or sub-sections for each retailer.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/06 10:08:23 (permalink)
    The Hot Deals Area is being revised so we will need to wait for the New Rules to be Posted and the Requirements that need to be Placed in the Post under a Sticky Thread as well as what needs to be Placed in the Topic Title and Main Body of the First Post of a Thread not under a Sticky Thread.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/09/06 11:02:11

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/08 00:58:14 (permalink)
    Were still waiting for evga management to make a comment about this.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/08 02:21:58 (permalink)
    MSim
    Were still waiting for evga management to make a comment about this.

EVGA has been very busy lately. Wait one more week for an answer and if you don't get an answer send a followup email.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/13 21:31:57 (permalink)
    It would be nice if the Community Manager would take the time to engage with the community. Lots of members have chimed in that they agree we should be allowed to comment on any hot deals posted by other members, long as we stay on subject.

If anyone else feels this section could be improved, drop Joe & ChrisB an email about your concerns. If they receive enough emails, maybe they will improve this section, instead of making it worse.

Joe Jdarwin@evga.com
    ChrisB ChrisB@evga.com

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/14 17:06:46 (permalink)
    Moving to General Discussion section of Forums

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/14 17:47:09 (permalink)
    Who would be against having posting guidelines like these for any new Hot Deals post made in the Hot Deals section?

Example of posting guidelines
    • Retailer name  [Amazon] [Newegg] [TigerDirect] [BestBuy]
    • Product name
    • Price
    • Does it have a rebate 
    • Region (US/EU/ etc)

That with each deal in it's own topic. It would allow members to see all the deals at a glance, instead of having to click on the sticky thread for select retailers, then click on each link to see the deal.

It's strange that we can't get EVGA to see that this would better for the community.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/14 19:50:23 (permalink)
    MSim
    Who would be against having posting guidelines like these for any new Hot Deals post made in the Hot Deals section?

Example of posting guidelines
    • Retailer name  [Amazon] [Newegg] [TigerDirect] [BestBuy]
    • Product name
    • Price
    • Does it have a rebate 
    • Region (US/EU/ etc)

That with each deal in it's own topic. It would allow members to see all the deals at a glance, instead of having to click on the sticky thread for select retailers, then click on each link to see the deal.

It's strange that we can't get EVGA to see that this would better for the community.

I have added the following to the sticky:

*State the name of the product or products you are posting about.*

*State the price, discount, rebate, etc.*

*Specifying the region it's in is "optional". Try to state it if you can.* 

*A link is required for every deal posted.*

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/14 20:24:48 (permalink)
    MSim

If you wanted to, you can remove everything past the / before "ref=" in that link. Just post it like this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Keyboard-Mechanical-Switches-802-ZT-N101-KR/dp/B07BV3B2NR

(not saying you have to or anything)

Your example shortened link is so much better, but you can make if even shorter.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BV3B2NR

Long links full of junk is an annoyance for me as well.

And I agree that referral links are a conflict of interest which border breaking this forum's terms.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/14 20:38:53 (permalink)
    This is a discussion board right. EVGA, what is so bad about allowing members to comment on deals posted from select retailers. Members being able to comment, it allows us to help each other and look out for each other too.

The guidelines will help but we need the ability to comment on deals too. A member might have a question about the product or find it cheaper on another retailer website. All kinds of other reasons members might want to comment on a deal. I just don't get why EVGA is refusing to make the Hot Deals section better.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/14 20:45:03 (permalink)
    Regarding referral links, again, I had an idea. EVGA could ask ASP Playground to update the forum software to removed referral links. Or EVGA could do that itself. It seems that would be a wise thing to do, in my opinion, for many reasons. All it would require is a regex filter written for each site of EVGA's choosing (such as Amazon.com) which would find the relevant information necessary for the link to work, and remove all the remaining garbage which is there for tracking sessions, habits, and referrals.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/15 14:01:53 (permalink)
    I gave it a Try Yesterday and Today and One of my Post was Deleted for being Blank to a MOD because his Adware Software Blocked the image.
    At lest we now know you can post a Blank Post by pressing the space bar and adding a few blank spaces as shown in the Below Post.
    I will let others have this Hot Deals Area of the forum for me I have to many bad apples now.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/09/15 14:04:21

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/15 15:20:01 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    I gave it a Try Yesterday and Today and One of my Post was Deleted for being Blank to a MOD because his Adware Software Blocked the image.
    At lest we now know you can post a Blank Post by pressing the space bar and adding a few blank spaces as shown in the Below Post.
    I will let others have this Hot Deals Area of the forum for me I have to many bad apples now.

Who can blame any member for avoiding the hot deals section now. Consolidating select retailers is not useful at all for members. I can list five different reason why allowing members to comment on any deals is a benefit to members but good luck getting the community manager recognize that.

We need other member to speak up.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/15 15:38:11 (permalink)
    Remember that the Community Manager has already approved what was Posted here: Hot Deals section rules
    Ref Post: https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2856230

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/15 17:19:58 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Remember that the Community Manager has already approved what was Posted here: Hot Deals section rules

That doesn't fix the issue with hot deals section. Every deal should be in it's own topic and members be allowed to comment on them.

(Example)
    A member posts a deal on a older external SSD that only supports USB 3.0. Another member notices you can get the newer model that supports USB 3.1 and Type-C connection for only $25 more. That would be helpful information for members to know. 

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/16 10:45:05 (permalink)
    MSim
    bcavnaugh

That doesn't fix the issue with hot deals section. Every deal should be in it's own topic and members be allowed to comment on them.

(Example)
    A member posts a deal on a older external SSD that only supports USB 3.0. Another member notices you can get the newer model that supports USB 3.1 and Type-C connection for only $25 more. That would be helpful information for members to know. 

We all know.
    But in a way it Fixed it for me because I no longer go to that Area of the Forums.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/09/16 10:46:59

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: do away with all the sticky threads for select retailers 2018/09/17 23:10:13 (permalink)
    Members can see that some of us tried to get evga to improve that section. We can't force the community engage with us.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile