EVGA

Helpful Replydid my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments.

Author
LDunn5
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2023/01/14 11:05:21 (permalink)
I swapped my aging PSU for another, from 850 watts to 650w. Sale.
I wired it up, checked connection, and no power. I suppose one of the cables on the modular PSU were not tight, because after taking them out, and reconnecting them -- it powered up. I had no video, though.
I have taken all but my MOBO out and ran from the MOBO HDMI. I still have no video. I have also tried my OLD power supply and it does not work either.
I have rechecked this several times, ensured I had the proper cabling, and that was snuggly fitted. I have no idea what is going on at this point -- the only conclusion I have is that somehow the new PSU fried the MOBO?

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: did my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments. 2023/01/14 11:28:13 (permalink)
Welcome to the EVGA forums

Did you change to the power cables that came with the New PSU ?

Depending on the two PSUs involved, if you tried (powered on) with the "old PSU cables" with the new PSU - you might have caused an issue

Please list your hardware - MB & BIOS ver, GPU, PSU(s), RAM & GPU ---> also your OS

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

LDunn5
Re: did my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments. 2023/01/14 11:45:35 (permalink)
no, the old PSU was not modular, so I had no option to even use them. So yes, I used the new cables with my power supply.

MB - ASUS 450 B Prime plus
Bios - no idea, unable to view them presently.
GPU - EVGA 2070 Super.
CPU - Ryzen 5600x
Ram - 16 gb ddr4 Corsair ram
windows 11.

Presently, I have nothing but the CPU and one stick of ram installed. 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: did my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments. 2023/01/14 14:07:17 (permalink)
LDunn5
no, the old PSU was not modular, so I had no option to even use them. So yes, I used the new cables with my power supply.

MB - ASUS 450 B Prime plus
Bios - no idea, unable to view them presently.
GPU - EVGA 2070 Super.
CPU - Ryzen 5600x
Ram - 16 gb ddr4 Corsair ram
windows 11.

Presently, I have nothing but the CPU and one stick of ram installed. 

OK, GOOD that the new PSU required you to use the new cables that came with it.  Some people have learned the hard-way not to mix cables between PSU as they are not always compatible  --- even though they "fit" the PSU sockets

1st thing - to check is the power connection to the MB for the CPU --> make sure that little latch is secure on MB .... if the power cord for CPU is made up of two 4-pins that latch goes in the middle

2nd item - is the 24- pin "big" connector on the MB to the PSU

You might have bumped something else while changing power cables?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

LDunn5
Re: did my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments. 2023/01/14 15:19:50 (permalink)
1st thing: yes, latch is in middle. It’s snug.

2nd thing: yes. It’s connected.

And I have checked all connections several times. I even blew out the connectors thinking it was dust but nothing
hansrensen
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: did my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments. 2023/01/16 23:00:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2023/01/17 07:36:16
If you run MB only with a Ryzen 5600x you will not have video as this processor has no integrated graphics ....
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: did my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments. 2023/01/17 07:38:11 (permalink)
hansrensen
If you run MB only with a Ryzen 5600x you will not have video as this processor has no integrated graphics ....

https://www.amd.com/en/product/10471

Good Catch 

I never even checked, for an iGPU for that CPU..... I just went with, OP knows what they bought

enjoy your well earned BR

LDunn5
Re: did my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments. 2023/01/17 13:17:14 (permalink)
omg so sorry everyone! but im still baffled -- the GPU does not work at all, and I did try it in a known good mobo. 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: did my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments. 2023/01/18 14:49:17 (permalink)
LDunn5
omg so sorry everyone! but im still baffled -- the GPU does not work at all, and I did try it in a known good mobo. 

it looks like you also tried to test your PC, with a connection to the MB without a GPU - as your first Post mentioned ---> "have taken all but my MOBO out and ran from the MOBO HDMI"

As mentioned in post 6 - your CPU does not have the "builtin GPU feature" = "iGPU" --> You must add a GPU to that MB with that CPU for any video. Your MB HDMI can't work, with your current CPU as it does not support video out.

If your GPU stopped working & also failed to work in a known good PC, it is most likely a dead GPU. 

Either the GPU was not fully seated & locked into the PCIe slot after changing power cables ..or possibly static discharge?.. just my best guess as to why it died when changing PSU.

Not having the GPU fully inserted into the PCIe slot, can allow the contacts to touch in several places at the same time .... look for any burnt marks (from any arching) on the edge of the GPU on the "gold contacts"

Do you have access to another old GPU for testing your MB ?

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10102
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: did my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments. 2023/01/18 23:54:31 (permalink)
You might also need to reset the bios to default values of you overclocked as a different PSU and GPU could change stability.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: did my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments. 2023/01/24 08:32:55 (permalink)
LDunn5

Testing the GPU in a known good PC is usually a good way to see if the hardware has an issue.

The GPU might have failed, the timing might have been a coincident. 

Do the GPU fan(s) turn?

Does the GPU light up?

Does the MB give a failed GPU error?

As long as you -  were grounded, - installed everything correctly, were not too physical when removing old PSU cables or installing new PSU cables - the change of PSU should not have "killed it"

What MB? is it under warranty?

What GPU? is it under warranty?

What PSU?  new one? old one?

Check all connections again

test with the case disconnected - All but the start button

test with different KB & mouse ...

We do not know your experience level ... so sorry if I am mentioning somethings that are very basic ... we All have missed something small before

Wondering if OP will ever give us an update?

EVGATech_GabrielT
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 1104
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: did my new PSU fry my motherboard? details in comments. 2023/01/25 13:14:26 (permalink)
The PSU has protections built in, so we wouldn't assume it caused this. 

We can however support with further troubleshooting and with reviewing what possible options we have for you in this case. We have emailed you a request for further information in order to start the process.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns in order to support you further.

post edited by EVGATech_GabrielT - 2023/01/25 13:18:57
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile