dg-85 K-Boost

Author
Brutalx
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/07/23 19:04:07 (permalink)
How does k-boost button work ?

I don't remember connect anything different on my mother board.

Does it require a EVGA motherboard and GPU  ?

Thanks

8 Replies Related Threads

Goobers
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 147
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: dg-85 K-Boost 2017/07/24 02:23:30 (permalink)
    K-Boost is a software function that connects via USB that triggers Windows built-in power settings... changing from balanced to high performance.

If you have Precision X, then it also affects the GPU (with whatever settings in P-X).
    atomsk_
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: dg-85 K-Boost 2017/07/24 03:24:27 (permalink)
    I hear a windows notification sound when I press it but nothing changes on Precision X.

EDIT: Ok! I just found out how it works.

First, you need DG Tuner (I don't remember any mention to this software in the manual)
    If you don't have DG Tuner installed, the K-Boost button only turns the fans to 100%
    If you have DG Tuner installed and running, the K-Boost button will activate the K-Boost mode like Precision X (but you can't use it if you have Precision X running lol)

"When user press KBoost ON while “DG Tuner” is running, CPU & GPU will be in overclocked mode, when press KBoost OFF, both CPU & GPU will be in balance mode."

With "overclocked mode" they mean high performance mode on windows power settings, it doesn't do anything to the cores. It would be great if it could save and apply an OC profile for the gpu.
    Well, at least I have a button to fire up ALL the fans.

But I can't say this case has met my expectations. There is a lot of vague wording about its features, and my HDDs run hot as hell in there, probably because the half blocked bottom fan *grabs a dremel*

EDIT 2: I just realized the DG-85 doens't have a fan controller, unlike the DG-87 that I own. In your case it will only do something with DG Tuner installed and running.
    post edited by atomsk_ - 2017/07/24 10:16:21
    Goobers
    Superclocked Member
    Re: dg-85 K-Boost 2017/07/24 16:49:10 (permalink)
    atomsk_
    I hear a windows notification sound when I press it but nothing changes on Precision X.

EDIT: Ok! I just found out how it works.

First, you need DG Tuner (I don't remember any mention to this software in the manual)
    If you don't have DG Tuner installed, the K-Boost button only turns the fans to 100%
    If you have DG Tuner installed and running, the K-Boost button will activate the K-Boost mode like Precision X (but you can't use it if you have Precision X running lol)

"When user press KBoost ON while “DG Tuner” is running, CPU & GPU will be in overclocked mode, when press KBoost OFF, both CPU & GPU will be in balance mode."

With "overclocked mode" they mean high performance mode on windows power settings, it doesn't do anything to the cores. It would be great if it could save and apply an OC profile for the gpu.
    Well, at least I have a button to fire up ALL the fans.

But I can't say this case has met my expectations. There is a lot of vague wording about its features, and my HDDs run hot as hell in there, probably because the half blocked bottom fan *grabs a dremel*

EDIT 2: I just realized the DG-85 doens't have a fan controller, unlike the DG-87 that I own. In your case it will only do something with DG Tuner installed and running.

Oops, I forgot about DG Tuner. But on the flipside, the fan controller is there for 86/85/84, it's just the physical buttons for it aren't.

As for the fan for the HDD... if you can shove the wires at the bottom around a bit, maybe switch the fan from outside mount to inside mount. That should give it a lot more air.
    post edited by Goobers - 2017/07/24 16:50:43
    atomsk_
    Re: dg-85 K-Boost 2017/07/24 16:54:55 (permalink)
    I added 2 14cm fans, to the left of each HDD mount. Temps went down from almost 50°C to 34°
    fragility_V1
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 940
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: dg-85 K-Boost 2017/08/01 11:42:23 (permalink)
    Goobers

Oops, I forgot about DG Tuner. But on the flipside, the fan controller is there for 86/85/84, it's just the physical buttons for it aren't.

I was under the impression from the spec sheet (https://www.evga.com/Products/App_Themes/Images/ProductOverview/DG-8_Cases.jpg) that the DG-84 and 85 didn't have a fan controller.  Is it only active with DG Tuner?
    577A7736673A4FE
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: dg-85 K-Boost 2017/08/01 13:39:24 (permalink)
    so I have a 87 but like the black case so I got the 85  now I trying to find out if I can swap the temp thing at the bottom over to the 85 case if I can I will scrap the 87 case if I cant the not sure what I will do maybe change to a different case all together
    Goobers
    Superclocked Member
    Re: dg-85 K-Boost 2017/08/01 14:00:29 (permalink)
    fragility_V1
    Goobers

I was under the impression from the spec sheet (https://www.evga.com/Products/App_Themes/Images/ProductOverview/DG-8_Cases.jpg) that the DG-84 and 85 didn't have a fan controller.  Is it only active with DG Tuner?

Oops, I guess not. I have the 86, and had been under the impression it was the same as the 85/84 minus the HDD cages.

madclown40
    so I have a 87 but like the black case so I got the 85  now I trying to find out if I can swap the temp thing at the bottom over to the 85 case if I can I will scrap the 87 case if I cant the not sure what I will do maybe change to a different case all together

Would've been cheaper just to DIY paint the case.
    atomsk_
    Re: dg-85 K-Boost 2017/08/01 22:32:25 (permalink)
    madclown40

You can disassemble it. But you have to take off the top, the top buttons, and the right frame (and open the left door) to access all the screews you need to remove.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile