center channel and subwoofer output - and crossover

Author
jeffswitzer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/03/03 21:23:01 (permalink)
I don’t have a center speaker or sub yet, but am thinking about what to buy. Was thinking to get two mono amps one for the center speaker I think either Martin Logan or Vandersteen and one for the sub which I want to dyi but some subs have crossover frequencies that you can set. I’m guessing the 5mm on the nu is already putting a low pass filter on the sub output signal. Is that the case and is this adjustable/bypassable?

5 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: center channel and subwoofer output - and crossover 2020/03/04 06:47:24 (permalink)
    I do not believe that there is any low pass filter on the center subwoofer channel coming from the card. Another user reported that there didn't appear to be.

Typically it is the job of the woofer to have a low pass filter appropriate for that woofer. (Different woofers have different frequency response ranges; and it would be kind of odd for EVGA to guess the appropriate low pass filter for your woofer.)

When you build your woofer, add a low pass filter inside of it, appropriate for the woofer speaker that you choose.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

jeffswitzer
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re: center channel and subwoofer output - and crossover 2020/03/04 07:40:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for clarifying, I've been in 2 channel land my whole life so this is all new for me!
    DMinnitti
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: center channel and subwoofer output - and crossover 2020/03/08 12:22:21 (permalink)
    The NU Pro doesn't have a hardware LFE filter, nor does it have a software crossover frequency option... yet. Many of us are begging for one still. 
    sjcrespo
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: center channel and subwoofer output - and crossover 2020/03/25 10:05:11 (permalink)
    DMinnitti
    The NU Pro doesn't have a hardware LFE filter, nor does it have a software crossover frequency option... yet. Many of us are begging for one still. 

When you state "nor does it have a software crossover frequency option... yet." are you referring to the option in most avr receivers that let you set the crossover to 80hz or whatever you choose? I was thinking of going with a Logitech Z906. Do you think I'll have any crossover issues with that simple setup?
    Phileosophos
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: center channel and subwoofer output - and crossover 2020/03/29 12:00:21 (permalink)
    sjcrespo
    DMinnitti

When you state "nor does it have a software crossover frequency option... yet." are you referring to the option in most avr receivers that let you set the crossover to 80hz or whatever you choose? I was thinking of going with a Logitech Z906. Do you think I'll have any crossover issues with that simple setup?

Yes, your subwoofer will be a useless lump. That's exactly the setup I have, and I've been complaining on another thread and explaining why such a crossover frequency is essential.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile