EVGA

broke the plastic rails on my 800d hotswap hard drive bay... suggestions on how to fix?

Author
Cube X
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/07/14 08:05:04 (permalink)

so the hard drive rails on the hotswap bay on my corsair 800 broke i still use that hot swap bay a lot for various reasons.  the the 5 inch drive bays are filled with disc burners (again for reasons) this is my workstation pc

and of course to make it worse 3 of the hot swap bays rails broke. yes 3 and the other sides feel like they are cracking and I have been gentle with this thing i baby it.

ya so i looked around you cant find the parts of this thing anywhere even though it is still a perfectly fine case that people are still using you can stick a new pc build in there and everything fits fine.

no i dont want to take the thing apart or buy a new case for a stupid plastic part that looks like it cost $1 and should have been made out of metal anyway. 

ya i have no idea what i found some 3d printed replacement parts but not these things.  i dont see a way to remove the bay and put in a new icydock bay or something in the space.

corsair is no help because they cant keep a stock of all the stupid plastic parts on this thing. i can see them not making the large metal parts  but all the stupid little plastic things that ruin the case the could make more and sell them on the store. (thanks corsair.)  looked around for a used 800d case to strip the parts out no dice cant find any.  of course anticipating the case wearing out i  bought some of the spare parts for it years ago for the corsair store like the drive bay backplane the dust filter ETC. Did they sell this small vital plastic part? NO  all the plastic on this old "High end case" are made from a shiny brittle metal

i am getting desperate/stressed out/tired nobody has these things not sure how to fix it not sure what alternative parts will fit.
is there a custom pc case place that will make parts like them? really pissed i loved this case it worked for my needs.

this dude got me covered with the drive bay hinge i printed a bunch of them asked him about 3d printing some rails not a 100% guarantee they will work though.  
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2500499

post edited by Cube X - 2021/07/14 08:07:31

10 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30963
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: broke the plastic rails on my 800d hotswap hard drive bay... suggestions on how to fix 2021/07/14 08:31:37 (permalink)
    3D printing is your best option, especially if your able to make a print of what you want

metal ... local machine shop ... expensive option, unless you have a friend or local tech school available

Glue - fix & get running until permanent solution is found ?

Go with an external drive system ... it is time

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: broke the plastic rails on my 800d hotswap hard drive bay... suggestions on how to fix 2021/07/14 11:24:51 (permalink)
    Contact the Manufacturer/Company who made the case, they might be able to send those for free or even charge you for what really cost. 
    I had an accident myself. I broke one of the pins that hold the front plastic cover of my Corsair HAF-X case. I call Corsair and explain the situation, the Customer Service Rep told me he will send me a new one, no charge. , that was years ago not sure now.🤔
    I support Cool GTX suggestion if not go to a 3D printing and have them make the brackets, just be sure to make a pair of those extras just in case they break again.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Cube X
    Re: broke the plastic rails on my 800d hotswap hard drive bay... suggestions on how to fix 2021/07/14 15:21:23 (permalink)
    you know i would be willing to pay a machine shop for convenience i am getting to old and busy for broken things now i have enough to fix.

we got a school i not sure what the class that has the machines is called..

glue is a no go because i cant find the tiny plastic 

i was going to get and external drive... but my 4 main drives put in the hotswap bay/
    post edited by Cube X - 2021/07/14 15:25:11
    Cube X
    Re: broke the plastic rails on my 800d hotswap hard drive bay... suggestions on how to fix 2021/07/14 15:23:15 (permalink)
    you cant buy this case anymore or i would buy it.  I would buy a used one that is beat up and strip it for parts i cant find one.
    that is why corsair does not have parts i talked to them they have none to send to me so they say. but they still advertize it on the website like it is for sale so there you go and was in stock until about 2015.
    post edited by Cube X - 2021/07/14 15:28:49
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: broke the plastic rails on my 800d hotswap hard drive bay... suggestions on how to fix 2021/07/14 19:31:57 (permalink)
    Cube X
    you cant buy this case anymore or i would buy it.  I would buy a used one that is beat up and strip it for parts i cant find one.
    that is why corsair does not have parts i talked to them they have none to send to me so they say. but they still advertize it on the website like it is for sale so there you go and was in stock until about 2015.

The next option is doing it in aluminum. Go to a metal shop and take the brackets to see if they can make you a few. You can even go to an acrylic shop too. Acrylic is also a form of plastic but stronger.
    Like the 3D printing machines, the acrylic/metal shops have machines they can scan anything and make it.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Cube X
    Re: broke the plastic rails on my 800d hotswap hard drive bay... suggestions on how to fix 2021/07/15 01:09:52 (permalink)
    atfrico
    Cube X

The next option is doing it in aluminum. Go to a metal shop and take the brackets to see if they can make you a few. You can even go to an acrylic shop too. Acrylic is also a form of plastic but stronger.
    Like the 3D printing machines, the acrylic/metal shops have machines they can scan anything and make it.

i am asking some shops.   and corsair says they didnt have any of these parts when it was new and i think that is insane to make them out of plastic that can crack and not have them. i bought all the spare parts they had when i got it new i even have an extra dust filter.

i think they are already made from a black acrylic plastic and they seem to be getting brittle from the hard drive bay heat i had 7200rpm enterprise drives in there.. 

one said to bring it in and he can copy it and then will give me a price..
    so i would like them to be copied into metal i am afraid to take the other ones out with out cracking those he said i have to bring it in i am trying to get one that is not broken out.

i was going to buy the sabernt 4 bay docking station  so i clone 8 drives at once and stupid plastic part is ruing my day. the internal  hotswap drive bay in the 800d is a lot nicer on the desk also native sata 3.0 and that is fine for enterprise hard disk.

post edited by Cube X - 2021/07/15 01:25:15
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: broke the plastic rails on my 800d hotswap hard drive bay... suggestions on how to fix 2021/07/15 03:47:21 (permalink)

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102215
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: broke the plastic rails on my 800d hotswap hard drive bay... suggestions on how to fix 2021/08/10 02:30:55 (permalink)
    Any suggestions or comments which involve breaking state/federal/government law directly or indirectly will be deleted. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: broke the plastic rails on my 800d hotswap hard drive bay... suggestions on how to fix 2021/08/10 05:03:03 (permalink)
    As this conversation is about a repair of a Corsair case, it does not fit into the modsrigs section. I have moved it to general hardware seeing how this is a hardware issue with the case.
    R00thead
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 110
    Re: broke the plastic rails on my 800d hotswap hard drive bay... suggestions on how to fix 2021/08/13 04:10:47 (permalink)
    Glue should work fine.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile