EVGA

an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!!

Author
kingx11
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/09/21 18:53:48 (permalink)
1. you click on "buy/add to cart" and it takes you to a verification code page, you get the code from your registered email
2. the code is 15 characters, the verification code where you put the code allows you to put 10 characters only, another box should take the remaining 5 characters
3. the store links your order to the code entered, the "agree & pay" should be sent 10 minutes later in an email auto-sent by the store's server

good enough ?!!

16 Replies Related Threads

q5sys
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 153
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/09/21 18:58:10 (permalink)
    kingx11
    1. you click on "buy/add to cart" and it takes you to a verification code page, you get the code from your registered email
    2. the code is 15 characters, the verification code where you put the code allows you to put 10 characters only, another box should take the remaining 5 characters
    3. the store links your order to the code entered, the "agree & pay" should be sent 10 minutes later in an email auto-sent by the store's server

good enough ?!!

Until the site is stable... it wont help that much... people will have failed transactions and time out all the time.
    People are already having timeout problems purchasing when the site is being hammered. Tens if not hundreds of thousands of people hitting F5 every few seconds is what's taking the site down... not bots.
    Bots may be ordering cards, but bots arent the one causing the site to go unresponsive for people.

Bots are able to do what they do without the site being fully downloaded and rendered, since they're scanning the html/java code directly and not needing to download all of the assets.  Its actually less resource impact on a site for a bot to interact with the site than a human interacting with the site.

IDK what the load capability of the EVGA site is, but it seems to be bad.  No Offense intended to EVGA, but their site is poorly run to handle the number of people coming.
    Until site stability problems are resolved, anything put in place will just cause more people to have more issues.
    post edited by q5sys - 2020/09/21 19:00:35
    SpriteCup1
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/09/21 19:00:57 (permalink)
    Supposedly the infrastructure is being updated in the near future. We'll see, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

In the dark, I can feel You in my sleep.. In Your arms I feel You breathe in to me. Forever hold this heart that I will give to You, Forever I will live for You!
    kingx11
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/09/21 19:05:38 (permalink)
    q5sys
    kingx11

good enough ?!!

Until the site is stable... it wont help that much... people will have failed transactions and time out all the time.
    People are already having timeout problems purchasing when the site is being hammered. Tens if not hundreds of thousands of people hitting F5 every few seconds is what's taking the site down... not bots.
    Bots may be ordering cards, but bots arent the one causing the site to go unresponsive for people.

Bots are able to do what they do without the site being fully downloaded and rendered, since they're scanning the html/java code directly and not needing to download all of the assets.  Its actually less resource impact on a site for a bot to interact with the site than a human interacting with the site.

IDK what the load capability of the EVGA site is, but it seems to be bad.  No Offense intended to EVGA, but their site is poorly run to handle the number of people coming.
    Until site stability problems are resolved, anything put in place will just cause more people to have more issues.

oh i see, so it's a bandwidth issue, looks good to me now but it was down at 3080 launch day, maybe it's for people in NA since i'm in Qatar and the store seems very responsive
    q5sys
    Superclocked Member
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/09/21 19:12:07 (permalink)
    kingx11
    q5sys
    kingx11

good enough ?!!

oh i see, so it's a bandwidth issue, looks good to me now but it was down at 3080 launch day, maybe it's for people in NA since i'm in Qatar and the store seems very responsive

There's multiple issues that all mixed together make it an even bigger mess.
    Bots are absolutely a thing and absolutely a problem.  As we have seen with the Nvidia Store by posts on twitter.
    The site crashing is another issue.  But they both play into each other.  
    The more people that mash their F5 key, the slower the site will get.  Since bots have less of a performance impact on the site, people bringing the site to its knees are actually skewing the chances of succeeding towards the bots, because by hitting F5 over and over and over, they're chewing up server resources that could otherwise be serving pages to someone. 

What we have are two bad problems that play off of each other.  We can come up with ways to make the bots have a harder time of it, but that doesn't solve the human problem. 
    DarkTAO
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 345
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/09/22 11:43:02 (permalink)
    kingx11

good enough ?!!

I like the idea, but like many people, i think you're forgetting that these sales are still sales for them.. and if they're resold, the warranties become someone else's problem. It's not a bad thing for a business to sell as much as possible. Just stinks for us non-botters. 

24G-P5-3987-KR
    09/24/2020 01:16:10 PM PT Yes
    Delivered 17 Hours From Purchase
    Intel i9-9900K
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
    EVGA CLC-280
    Asus PG279Q
    LG CX OLED 55"
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra/Hybrid Cooler
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3600
    EVGA Supernova 850 T2
    Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 850 pro 512GB SSD
    Samsung 840 500GB SSD

08G-P5-3751-KR
    10/28/2020 04:27:02 PM PT No

24G-P5-3987-KR
    10/02/2020 17:12:43 PM PT No - Not Buying
     Removing Once 3090 Arrives
    10G-P5-3897-KR
    09/24/2020 01:35:27 PM PT No - Not Buying
    Removing Once 3090 Arrives [
    DaWorstPlaya
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/09/22 12:05:21 (permalink)
    Honestly what's to stop a bot from reading the code from an email address and inputting that into the purchase form? Also if people aren't getting notification emails, how do we expect purchase codes from being sent out successfully to an email address?

Add these to the list of ideas:

1. Charge the whole amount during pre-order. Everyone only has so much funds to commit to pre-orders before they run out.
    2. Capcha during the check out process.
    3. Timer to each purchase page before you can move to the next. Add artificial latency so the bots don't have an advantage and can't submit faster than humans.
    4. Check to see if the same Credit card number was used in an earlier purchase for a 3080 card. If it was, deny immediately. You can run a compare on the database during the time of the purchase.
    5. Check to see if the same shipping address has been used in an earlier purchase for a 3080 card. If it was, deny immediately. You can run a compare on the database during the time of the purchase.
    6. Check to see if the IP address of the shopper has been used in an earlier purchase for a 3080 card. If it was, deny immediately. With most people working from home this shouldn't be an issue.
    q5sys
    Superclocked Member
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/09/22 13:20:14 (permalink)
    DaWorstPlaya
    4. Check to see if the same Credit card number was used in an earlier purchase for a 3080 card. If it was, deny immediately. You can run a compare on the database during the time of the purchase.
    5. Check to see if the same shipping address has been used in an earlier purchase for a 3080 card. If it was, deny immediately. You can run a compare on the database during the time of the purchase.
    6. Check to see if the IP address of the shopper has been used in an earlier purchase for a 3080 card. If it was, deny immediately. With most people working from home this shouldn't be an issue.

FWIW...

4. There are plenty of services like Privacy.com that allow you to create as many CC numbers as you want/need.
    5. Using Commercial Mail Box Places (Not Post Offices) allows you to get as many unique addresses as you want.
    6. Proxies are easy to set up and use.

Any thing a human can do, a system can be designed to get around that.  The people who are serious about reselling already use those three techniques to thwart attempts by other retailers.  We are not the first people to try to come up with ways to stop bots... and the people who write the bots have had plenty of time to figure out how to get around what retailers come up with. 
    ehabash1
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/09/22 13:22:35 (permalink)
    Biggest issue by far is DDoS attack. All this other stuff wont matter they have plenty of chances to get the inventory as long as these websites stay down. And evga's website has been the worst and most vulnerable to this malware

As long as the website doesnt crash you have a fair and realistic chance of getting a card. But Evga seems clueless right now as how to defend against the DDoS
    post edited by ehabash1 - 2020/09/22 13:23:46
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/09/22 20:57:02 (permalink)

lol.. took nearly a full minute for the site to load just now - 11:56pm EST. I guess the bots have are already started hitting EVGA just in case the 3090 appears at midnight...  although EVGA is based in California so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ...

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/09/22 21:34:01 (permalink)
    Nereus

lol.. took nearly a full minute for the site to load just now - 11:56pm EST. I guess the bots have are already started hitting EVGA just in case the 3090 appears at midnight...  although EVGA is based in California so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ...

A midnight launch would be a nightmare. Seems like even the 6am launch was stressful enough with the site issues.

The best fix will just be as people get the cards. Sure some people might try to resell them but they will quickly realize stock is always coming out. If hundreds of auctions exist the markup isn’t going to be profitable. Also hopefully people don’t buy second hand which helps in the future. Finally every real gamer who gets a card isn’t going to be hitting F5 to get another since this generation SLI isn’t a thing unless you go 3090.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Ogredose
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 102
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/09/27 20:17:00 (permalink)
    Not a bad idea, but seems a bit more complex than necessary.
    Iluv2raceit
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 518
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/12/15 06:36:05 (permalink)
    EVGA's method of using a queue system works perfectly.  I got into the queue on 17 Sept and received my email notification on 10 November.  Made the purchase through the secure link provided, input the code and paid.  Card received on 14 November.  Done.  EVGA is the only company that has made any conscious effort to fight the bots and they are winning big time.  Best Buy, Newegg, and Amazon?  All epic fails.  Did I forget to mention how awesome EVGA is?
    post edited by Iluv2raceit - 2020/12/15 08:07:39
    biz1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/12/18 17:48:39 (permalink)
    Iluv2raceit
    EVGA's method of using a queue system works perfectly.  I got into the queue on 17 Sept and received my email notification on 10 November.  Made the purchase through the secure link provided, input the code and paid.  Card received on 14 November.  Done.  EVGA is the only company that has made any conscious effort to fight the bots and they are winning big time.  Best Buy, Newegg, and Amazon?  All epic fails.  Did I forget to mention how awesome EVGA is?

Good to know.  I'll have to think about adding myself to the queue when I'm ready to buy in 2021 (if stock shortages persist).

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/12/18 17:51:02 (permalink)
    biz1
    Iluv2raceit

Good to know.  I'll have to think about adding myself to the queue when I'm ready to buy in 2021 (if stock shortages persist).

Best you add yourself now then. Like right now, because you'll definitely be waiting until 2021.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

FeiLing
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/12/19 10:32:49 (permalink)
    When a person can do it, a bot can do it too (often even better^^).
    gknot
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: an idea to stop bots from taking all the stock away !!! 2020/12/29 11:42:40 (permalink)
    BestBuy's recent system works well. They staggered users in a queue-like system. When you can click on add to cart you have to get an email code, then log in, then enter your credit card (even if it was saved). As long as you complete this within a couple of minutes (and the item is available within 250mi or your local store) you can get the item.
    The EVGA queue system is good too, but takes longer to get a card
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile