Z390 FTW NU Audio question

Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
2018/10/10 14:09:31 (permalink)
I was looking at EVGA Z390 motherboards audio, i noticed NU Audio.  Where can i find detailed specs and what if any software features NU Audio adds.

8 Replies Related Threads

Tech_RayH
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 834
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Z390 FTW NU Audio question 2018/10/10 17:45:53 (permalink)
    We will be answering this in a video in the near future 
    That said, we go over Nu Audio in the B360 manual linked HERE, pages 72-84

...an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum.
    - Adlai E. Stevenson

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Z390 FTW NU Audio question 2018/10/16 22:01:59 (permalink)
    Can EVGA update the specs sheet to give detailed specs like this?

The Spec sheet on EVGA motherboards is lacking compared to what other mfg's show. It makes it very hard for consumers to compare motherboards between mfg.

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Z390 FTW NU Audio question 2018/10/19 16:02:48 (permalink)
    EVGA Z390 Dark:
    Audio: Creative Sound Core3D Quad-Core Audio Processor  
    (no detailed specs)
    The specs are so generic, we can't tell if that creative audio chip is the same audio chip creative has been using for the past 5+ years. No way to tell any improvements over the years.

EVGA Z390 FTW:
    Audio: Realtek ALC1220 7.1 Channel HD Audio + Nu Audio
    (could use a lot more specs listed)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E:
    ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A
    - Dual OP Amplifiers
    - Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
    - Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
    - High quality 120 dB SNR stereo playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input
    - SupremeFX Shielding Technology
    - Supports up to 32-Bit/192kHz playback *2
    Audio Feature :
    - SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
    - Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
    - Dedicated audio PCB layers: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals
    - Premium Japanese-made audio capacitors: Provide warm, natural and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity
    - Sonic Radar III
    - Sonic Studio III + Sonic Studio Link

(lots of details about it's audio features)

GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Z390 FTW NU Audio question 2018/10/22 10:20:51 (permalink)
    MSim have you looked up / searched for Nu Audio?

https://nuprimeaudio.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

This is listed specs section from here - https://www.evga.com/prod...aspx?pn=123-CS-E397-KR

Realtek 7.1 Channel HD Audio + EVGA NU Audio

My guess is that while they are using the Realteck for the DAC they are using Nu Audio for the amp portion trying to clean up their audio output, esp for headphone users.
    With those new huge yellow caps in the audio section it is looking that way.
    Possible built in wireless headphone support? Even though they don't mention it

I had not looked at the PDF Link EVGA_RayH had linked above - Page 72

EVGA NU Audio
    EVGA NU Audio is a second and more powerful audio output available on the EVGA B360 Micro Gaming motherboard. Utilizing the more powerful headphone/speaker amp on the B360 Micro Gaming, NU Audio can drive up to 600ohm headphones, as well as providing the ideal sound for every type of audio experience. The NU Audio application features a user - friendly GUI to easily and quickly adjust settings or use a preset to jump right into the action.

NU Audio is designed to work with 2.0 or 2.1 channel audio, such as headphones or speakers with or without a subwoofer. The headphones/speakers must be connected via an analog audio jack; headphones or speakers using an USB connector will not work with NU Audio. Within the NU audio GUI, you can add virtualization and EQ options by adjusting the settings. However, if you wish to use 5.1 channel audio, you must select 5.1 in the Realtek HD Audio Manager and use the output ports located on the I/O Panel of the motherboard (Page 11, Component 5).
    Note: While the NU Audio exists separately from the Realtek HD Audio, some system requirements, settings, and features crossover due to shared Windows audio resources. As a result, some changes made in the Realtek HD Audio Manager will have an effect on the audio output through NU Audio.

You can also check out the picture here of the NU Audio on the B360 board - https://www.evga.com/about/pressrelease/?id=320

post edited by GGTV-Jon - 2018/10/22 10:43:35
    DukeCLR
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 254
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Z390 FTW NU Audio question 2018/10/22 17:41:02 (permalink)
    I look forward to getting more information, so far when I use the app I get a bunch of static.

PhanTeks Enthoo Evolv TGE
    Intel Core i7 8700k @ 5.0
    EVGA Z390 FTW
    EVGA GTX 3080 FTW3
    GSkill Ripjaws 16Gb
    EVGA CLC280
    PSU EVGA 850 T2

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Z390 FTW NU Audio question 2018/10/25 18:38:13 (permalink)
    GGTV-Jon
    MSim have you looked up / searched for Nu Audio?

https://nuprimeaudio.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

This is listed specs section from here - https://www.evga.com/prod...aspx?pn=123-CS-E397-KR

Realtek 7.1 Channel HD Audio + EVGA NU Audio

My guess is that while they are using the Realteck for the DAC they are using Nu Audio for the amp portion trying to clean up their audio output, esp for headphone users.
    With those new huge yellow caps in the audio section it is looking that way.
    Possible built in wireless headphone support? Even though they don't mention it

I had not looked at the PDF Link EVGA_RayH had linked above - Page 72

EVGA NU Audio
    EVGA NU Audio is a second and more powerful audio output available on the EVGA B360 Micro Gaming motherboard. Utilizing the more powerful headphone/speaker amp on the B360 Micro Gaming, NU Audio can drive up to 600ohm headphones, as well as providing the ideal sound for every type of audio experience. The NU Audio application features a user - friendly GUI to easily and quickly adjust settings or use a preset to jump right into the action.

NU Audio is designed to work with 2.0 or 2.1 channel audio, such as headphones or speakers with or without a subwoofer. The headphones/speakers must be connected via an analog audio jack; headphones or speakers using an USB connector will not work with NU Audio. Within the NU audio GUI, you can add virtualization and EQ options by adjusting the settings. However, if you wish to use 5.1 channel audio, you must select 5.1 in the Realtek HD Audio Manager and use the output ports located on the I/O Panel of the motherboard (Page 11, Component 5).
    Note: While the NU Audio exists separately from the Realtek HD Audio, some system requirements, settings, and features crossover due to shared Windows audio resources. As a result, some changes made in the Realtek HD Audio Manager will have an effect on the audio output through NU Audio.

You can also check out the picture here of the NU Audio on the B360 board - https://www.evga.com/about/pressrelease/?id=320

It's not easy to look up NU Audio detailed specs. One issue i see with NU Audio, it's for front panel audio only. How many front panel audio cables are shielded. That could cause some issues with the quality of audio being sent to the front panel. NU Audio software so far, it doesn't seem to have near the features ASUS Sonic Studio 3 has.

EVGA doesn't make it easy for people to find out the detailed audio specs on it's motherboards. They don't directly link to the mobo manual, they link to another pages and make you search a long list for the right pdf file. A "spec sheet" about a product, it should have all the detailed specs a person could want about the product.

Example of the kind of information that should be on a so called "spec sheet".

GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Z390 FTW NU Audio question 2018/10/25 21:26:00 (permalink)
    From my post above

NU Audio is designed to work with 2.0 or 2.1 channel audio, such as headphones or speakers with or without a subwoofer. The headphones/speakers must be connected via an analog audio jack

Within the NU audio GUI, you can add virtualization and EQ options by adjusting the settings. However, if you wish to use 5.1 channel audio, you must select 5.1 in the Realtek HD Audio Manager and use the output ports located on the I/O Panel of the motherboard (Page 11, Component 5).

From Page 11:

1. PS/2 Keyboard / Mouse Port
    2. USB 2.0 Port
    3. Intel i219V Gigabit LAN
    4. USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type A) Port
    5. Analog Audio Jacks

Sorry about the image - copied out of the PDF and into Gimp

Anyway - looks like the Rear I/O works as well with the NU Audio as well as the front panel

post edited by GGTV-Jon - 2018/10/25 21:30:49

Attached Image(s)

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Z390 FTW NU Audio question 2018/10/29 00:46:40 (permalink)
    Still no ETA on the video to learn more about the NU Audio. EVGA Z390 "spec sheet" is still weak on detailed info.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile