EVGA

Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting

Author
llNickkll
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/11/17 23:10:34 (permalink)
I have a 8700k and I was hitting 5ghz just fine until doing bios updates.. 
Now I'm stuck at 4.9 in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility it says power limit throttling with turbo boost on
With it off, it still doesn't hit it, but doesn't say power limit throttling, where are the long and short tdp power limits found on evga bios? I can't seem to find them exactly or how to fix this besides buying an asus board instead

14 Replies Related Threads

GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/18 13:07:02 (permalink)
    If you flip the switch back to the prior bios (I hope you didn't overwrite the previous bios) does it still work properly? If so compare c states?
    llNickkll
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/18 13:41:11 (permalink)
    Yes the old bios works just fine, doesn't explain why I can't find anything to change the short and long term tdp power to let it go back to 5.0 on the updated bios though..
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/18 15:59:20 (permalink)
    Someone with that board and bios combo will have to chime in. I don't know how similar the bios settings are to my x299 dark
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/20 09:11:53 (permalink)
    llNickkll
    Yes the old bios works just fine, doesn't explain why I can't find anything to change the short and long term tdp power to let it go back to 5.0 on the updated bios though..

Our MB team tested to see if they could reproduce your issue, but they saw the same behavior on both 1.09 and 1.10.  In their case, they saw some throttling on both 1.09 and 1.10 when set to 5GHz.  Our team asked if you wouldn't mind sharing your settings so they could continue testing.
    llNickkll
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/20 20:03:26 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    llNickkll

Our MB team tested to see if they could reproduce your issue, but they saw the same behavior on both 1.09 and 1.10.  In their case, they saw some throttling on both 1.09 and 1.10 when set to 5GHz.  Our team asked if you wouldn't mind sharing your settings so they could continue testing.

Hey there, LeeM
    The build is actually my friends, he had the board for awhile and recently just updated his bios.
    The bios he is able to do this with is either bios 1.00 or 1.01 very old versions
    He only encountered this after updating them.

He has extreme OC mode on
    Voltage set to manual and tried increasing it to see if that was the issue
    Sync all cores to 50 multiplier
    Turbo boost on and speedstep on

He has tried with speedstep off, same results, extreme oc mode off, same results.
    With turbo boost disabled his 8700k is going back to 3.7ghz, then up to around 4.9 then down again, never staying at the full 5ghz.

It still fluctuates a bit with these settings, but the weird part is. 
    If he turns off XMP he can get 4980mhz in cpu-z but it's never actually going to 5000mhz and locking at 4.9
    Yes I know it's only off by maybe 20mhz or whatever but it is strange behavior if it never happened on old bios

When XMP is on it acts all strange like it did with turbo boost off.

He has 2 g-skill trident-z series rgb ram sticks at 3200 speeds

Still not sure what the issue is, or what settings we can change to allow it to actually reach the full 5000mhz with xmp on 

I am not familiar with evga bios and assumed i'm just missing some settings somewhere but I've looked all around and not sure what's causing this.. as the bios that it came shipped with, don't show these results, even XMP worked properly I'm pretty sure, but not 100% sure I can do another double check tomorrow. 

It is the z370 FTW board 
    llNickkll
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/20 20:42:58 (permalink)
    Not to mention some of his SSD's weren't being detected by windows anymore after updating bios as well
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/20 22:13:05 (permalink)
    llNickkll
    Not to mention some of his SSD's weren't being detected by windows anymore after updating bios as well

Without the ability to import a saved config from one bios versions to another it is paramount to check all settings when updating, esp drive related settings
    llNickkll
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/20 22:14:41 (permalink)
    GGTV-Jon
    llNickkll

Without the ability to import a saved config from one bios versions to another it is paramount to check all settings when updating, esp drive related settings

They were all checked and defaulted prebios update, and all settings manually set and redone after updating.

It is literally just bios issues
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/20 22:17:56 (permalink)
    llNickkll
    GGTV-Jon
    llNickkll

They were all checked and defaulted prebios update, and all settings manually set and redone after updating.

Sounds like you guys need to take EVGA's offer up and iron out some of the issues you are seeing.. hopefully in the end it all works out with a better bios / product
    llNickkll
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/20 22:23:21 (permalink)
    GGTV-Jon
    llNickkll
    GGTV-Jon
    llNickkll

Sounds like you guys need to take EVGA's offer up and iron out some of the issues you are seeing.. hopefully in the end it all works out with a better bios / product

What is the offer up program? 
    I'm not to familiar with evga products as a close friend brought his build to me for testing after he told me he was getting 75-85 frames in GTA with 8700k at 5ghz and 1080ti Strix in SLi.. I was confused. The only thing I can really think of is they fix their bios ANd maybe that it's just not a high end enough board for the stuff he's pumping into it.

I tried all of his components with my Asus Maximus XI Hero and I noticed none of these issues what so ever. 

I don't want to force him to buy a new board and switch his preference of brands, but it's either looking like bios issues or just not high end enough for what hes looking for. 

GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/21 00:40:07 (permalink)
    I just meant that EVGATech_LeeM had reported they were trying to look into the issue and that you guys might have to go direct PM and look into the issue. I didn't mean to make it sound like an "offer up program". But more that EVGA has seen this thread, has looked into it and is interested in input from you to see what can be done
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/21 09:04:55 (permalink)
    GGTV-Jon
    I just meant that EVGATech_LeeM had reported they were trying to look into the issue and that you guys might have to go direct PM and look into the issue. I didn't mean to make it sound like an "offer up program". But more that EVGA has seen this thread, has looked into it and is interested in input from you to see what can be done

They could even save their Bios Settings to a file and send it to EVGATech_LeeM for testing.
    Myself I am happy with my EVGA 370 FTW MB @4700MHz.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

llNickkll
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/21 13:04:53 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    GGTV-Jon

They could even save their Bios Settings to a file and send it to EVGATech_LeeM for testing.

Sure not a problem, I can do that if requested. 
    Thanks for the reminder 
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Z370 FTW Mobo Power limiting 2018/11/21 14:24:13 (permalink)
    llNickkll
    bcavnaugh
    GGTV-Jon

Sure not a problem, I can do that if requested. 
    Thanks for the reminder 

Posted in #5 above "Our team asked if you wouldn't mind sharing your settings so they could continue testing."
    You can even open a Support Ticket on your MB and upload the file.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile