EVGA

Z370 FTW + 8700k Overclocking without Turbo Mode

Author
thendawg
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/03/30 10:06:55 (permalink)
So Im coming from a Z87/4770k combo - several generations old in intel tech terms, but typically it was always best practice to overclock with a static clock (no turbo mode or speed step) Anyways, Ive tried setting a manual multiplier with Turbo Mode  disabled - it shows as the target frequency, but the CPU just runs at base freq. If I enable EIST/turbo mode, I have no problem getting it stable at 4.8GHz with 1.2vcore - the thing is I dont like the CPU being downclocked as in the past it has been somewhat problematic in flight sims (causing microstutters, etc).

Now, if this is just the way it is, and its needed to manage the thermals on the 8700k - I guess I can accept that and hope its improved a bit over the years. But this just doesnt seem to be accurate - I dont see other's mentioning this?

Anyways, to troubleshoot, I updated BIOS to the latest rev and reset CMOS to defaults with no change. Basically all Im setting is the manual multiplier and override vcore to 1.2. It has come to my attention that I may need to also edit the AVX offset? Since this downclocks the CPU during heavy AVX loads, is it possible I need to set this to 0 to get it to work with turbo/eist disabled? I can certainly try this when I get home. Thanks in advance for any advice!

1 Reply Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Z370 FTW + 8700k Overclocking without Turbo Mode 2018/03/30 11:20:15 (permalink)
    Yes, avx needs to be set to 0. EIST may or may not need to be disabled, some boards need it on to overclock while others don't. All cpu c-states definitely need to be disabled.
    post edited by Sajin - 2018/03/30 11:25:04
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile