EVGA

Z370 Classified K M.2 RAID

Author
Stevienna
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/02/23 05:17:23 (permalink)
I'm about to order a new mobo, with fairly strict specs in mind.

Top of the list is z370 Classified K, but I can't find a definitive answer as to whether M.2 RAID is supported.

Can anyone direct me to an clear answer, please?

5 Replies Related Threads

GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Z370 Classified K M.2 RAID 2019/02/23 09:34:01 (permalink)
    It took over a year and a half for someone to finally get M.2 raid working properly on the X299 Dark - mostly due to limitation on the chip set imposed by Intel and what drives could be used - but this was also for VROC

General consensus was due to the current speed of the M.2 drives doing raid for read / write access speed increase was pointless
    If you were thinking raid for redundancy you will want to  use an M.2 add in card for increased drive count but then you will also want to start looking at the X299 platform for increased PCIe lane count and not limit yourself to the Z3** platforms 16 lanes

Stevienna
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Z370 Classified K M.2 RAID 2019/02/26 12:22:13 (permalink)
    This build has been under consideration for some time, while I have waited for various announcements. I had previously given X299 serious consideration (and that Dark is a thing of beauty), and your reply has prompted a review on my part. There is a lot of appeal in X299: I want to run Win7 Pro, so going Z3** would add another rod for my back. :). X299's oodles of lanes will provide a lot more flexibility, as my likely config gobbles up everything that Z3** has to offer.

The principle reason that I had settled on Z370 was that I would like to install a bootable RAID 1 on M.2 NVME - not possible on X299 w/o being pretty much forced to use over-priced and under-performing Intel M.2s, plus the VROC key, which adds another layer of difficulty and cost - Intel cite EVGA as an OEM source for the keys, yet there is nothing on the EVGA website.

According to Intel,"VROC was migrated to this client chipset to provide a compelling RAID alternative. Check with your X299 HEDT motherboard vendor for specific details of Intel VROC support on X299 platforms." Intel are dragging their heels over approving 3rd party NVME drives, with very few listed.

Additionally, a lot of the information on the Intel website is contradictory - one reference says that VROC on X299 is only supported by Win 10, while another states that Win 7 is supported.

Intel also state that VROC is intended to exploit the full potential of NVME drives and provide a bootable RAID solution (). By approving just a handful of (old generation) 3rd party drives and requiring an expensive and evasive dongle to access them and anything above RAID 0, they are doing the opposite. VROC was originally intended as a server and data centre solution, but most, if not all, X299 mobos are restricted to 2 x M.2 drives. IMV, there is little point in installing RAID 0 as a bootable drive: The performance gain is negligible (unmeasurable without software), and by doubling the number of drives, you double the probability of a drive failure in a non-resilient config, so RAID 1 is the only viable option without installing a 3rd party card. (Highpoint SSD7110 is expensive and the Asrock and ASUS cards still require the dongle and a very limited choice of NVME drive.)

In summary, the industry has given us M.2 NVME, two M.2 PCIe slots on most new mobos and desktop RAID, but, for some reason, Intel and, perhaps, the mobo manufacturers and Microsuck, don't want users to make the most of the three combined.

Sorry about the rant :) but this situation seems ridiculous. It exploits users and is of little benefit to any body involved.

GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Z370 Classified K M.2 RAID 2019/02/26 22:11:04 (permalink)
    Stevienna
    This build has been under consideration for some time, while I have waited for various announcements. I had previously given X299 serious consideration (and that Dark is a thing of beauty), and your reply has prompted a review on my part. There is a lot of appeal in X299: I want to run Win7 Pro, so going Z3** would add another rod for my back. :). X299's oodles of lanes will provide a lot more flexibility, as my likely config gobbles up everything that Z3** has to offer.

The principle reason that I had settled on Z370 was that I would like to install a bootable RAID 1 on M.2 NVME - not possible on X299 w/o being pretty much forced to use over-priced and under-performing Intel M.2s, plus the VROC key, which adds another layer of difficulty and cost - Intel cite EVGA as an OEM source for the keys, yet there is nothing on the EVGA website.

According to Intel,"VROC was migrated to this client chipset to provide a compelling RAID alternative. Check with your X299 HEDT motherboard vendor for specific details of Intel VROC support on X299 platforms." Intel are dragging their heels over approving 3rd party NVME drives, with very few listed.

Additionally, a lot of the information on the Intel website is contradictory - one reference says that VROC on X299 is only supported by Win 10, while another states that Win 7 is supported.

Intel also state that VROC is intended to exploit the full potential of NVME drives and provide a bootable RAID solution (). By approving just a handful of (old generation) 3rd party drives and requiring an expensive and evasive dongle to access them and anything above RAID 0, they are doing the opposite. VROC was originally intended as a server and data centre solution, but most, if not all, X299 mobos are restricted to 2 x M.2 drives. IMV, there is little point in installing RAID 0 as a bootable drive: The performance gain is negligible (unmeasurable without software), and by doubling the number of drives, you double the probability of a drive failure in a non-resilient config, so RAID 1 is the only viable option without installing a 3rd party card. (Highpoint SSD7110 is expensive and the Asrock and ASUS cards still require the dongle and a very limited choice of NVME drive.)

In summary, the industry has given us M.2 NVME, two M.2 PCIe slots on most new mobos and desktop RAID, but, for some reason, Intel and, perhaps, the mobo manufacturers and Microsuck, don't want users to make the most of the three combined.

Sorry about the rant :) but this situation seems ridiculous. It exploits users and is of little benefit to any body involved.

Pretty much nailed it - Intel Saying "Yes you can Raid" and then making it a convoluted process that in the end is not really worth the effort. They didn't want the Enterprise people to be able to use a much cheaper (but still expensive for us normies) desktop solution in place of the much more expensive Enterprise platforms.

Thankfully the M.2 drive size is coming up and prices are finally dropping and the U.2 stuff is starting to come down in price as well

magnusfl
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 112
    Re: Z370 Classified K M.2 RAID 2019/12/30 18:49:57 (permalink)
    My 2 m2 boots me up in raid boot up as fast as 17 seconds but if there update a few seconds longer of course
    K-Dimitri
    • Total Posts : 17
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Z370 Classified K M.2 RAID 2020/01/06 07:56:24 (permalink)
    I have m.2 NMVE SSD raid-0 on my Z370 FTW and it works very well and doubles (almost) the read/write speeds in comparison to 1 drive set up. 

The only issue that I've had setting it up was that I've managed to do it only in UEFI mode, in legacy mode no raid options were available/or could not install windows or its my bad knowledge of the stuff. In legacy mode single NMVE m.2 drive worked ok.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile