Z170 many unknown issues, please help.

Author
OMFGLOLSPOON
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/01 12:28:59 (permalink)
Hey

I've been having so many problems in the last few weeks with my pc and I think I've narrowed it down to the motherboard. If anyone has any ideas please for the love of god tell me as I think I've tried everything!!!!

It started while I was playing PUBG, where my pc would freeze due to internet lag the game would say, but my internet would be fine, it would freeze numerous times then my pc would either feeeze prompting me to turn it off by the switch or it would blue screen with different errors. This would cause the operating system to become corrupt meaning I would have to do a fresh install every time this happend, which was about 5 times!

I Googled countless times on what the problem may have been and I thought maybe increasing the Windows virtual memory, installing the game on a different HDD and even changing my Ethernet DNs server, after doing this I thought Id fixed it, the game didn't lag spike anymore and my pc was working great!!!

But today after coming home from work and attempting to turn my pc on the screen goes black, and then the same blue screen with the same windows currupt files!

After attempting to do the same with the windows install the motherboard kept on coming up with error codes, A6,A2, D7 and wouldn't post or even load into the bios. I checked all the wires and made sure nothing was touching the motherboard it self, but all the monitor would do is turn on and go black then turn it self back off and repeat. I've unplugged eveything from the USBs in the back and front still nothing, I removed ram, used different harddrives and even wires but nothing. It's hit and miss when it will actually go into bios or just do the same blank screen.

I've had the windows corrupt on my once before a few months ago, which I thought was the SSDs fault so I get a replacement but obviously it's somrthing else which I have no idea about!

Also sometimes when booting it would show the code A2 then when I unplug my keyboard it would go away then show up D7 meaning I have no input device connected! I'm so confused guys and I've only had this setup for 9 months, and I've not done any overclocking at all!!

I've tested my GPU on a different pc so I can rule that out!

And it doesn't help the fact I've got Insomnia61 two weeks away which I've paid a lot of money to go to!!
Sorry about the longness of this!

Specs

EVGA Z170 Stinger
I5 6600K
16gb Doninator 3200
EVGA 1070 FTW
Corsair H100i
post edited by OMFGLOLSPOON - 2017/08/01 12:31:17

16 Replies Related Threads

gbaker3
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 121
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/01 13:50:49 (permalink)
    Hi,

My first suspect would have been the SSD, but since you have tried on other hard drives this can probably be ruled out. Next I would suspect bad RAM. You said you removed RAM, but were you able to try different RAM or trying each stick individually? If you can rule out the RAM then my next guess would be faulty CPU or MOBO. If you don't have access to another working CPU (perhaps a very generous friend would let you borrow theirs for an afternoon), at the very least check to make sure that your CPU is properly seated and there are no bent pins.

If all else fails I would escalate this to EVGA tech support. They may have some insight. The post codes you mentioned generally have to do with IDE/SCSI detection/initialization which seems very odd to me to be halting on. If you live in the US you might be able to get cross-shipping for the RMA.

Good luck!

OMFGLOLSPOON
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/01 14:24:53 (permalink)
    Cheers for the reply man, I've stripped the whole system down to just CPU and mobo and still only booted into bios twice! Do you think the mobo could effect windows installation always becoming corrupt?

I'm gonna have to try and use a different cpu and hopefully rule that out!

I'm from the UK, the last thing I wanna do is spend another £180 on another mobo.
    KenMcC
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3329
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/01 15:23:57 (permalink)
    Ok, here's my take. I loaded the 2.01 BIOS update and had all kinds of issues similar to your.  So I went back to the 1.04 BIOS and walla my issues cleared up and now my Z170 Classy K is running just fine.  Seems to me the 2.01 update was really just for those installing I(x)-7xxx CPUs ... Seems to have issues with the I(x)-67xx

KenMcC
    Z170 Classy K; i7-6700 CPU,
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14
    Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W;
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256 GB 
    Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SATA
    Samsung 850 Evo 256 GB SATA
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 250 GB SATA

Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
    Windows 10 x64 Prof.  
    OMFGLOLSPOON
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/01 22:28:45 (permalink)
    This all happend on the 1.4 version!
    KenMcC
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/02 06:12:31 (permalink)
    Good luck with finding issue then.  I was just sharing what happened to me. 

KenMcC
    Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W;

Windows 10 x64 Prof.  
    OMFGLOLSPOON
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/02 10:42:05 (permalink)
    Haha sorry man didn't mean for you to take that in the wrong way! I'm taking everything back and they are testing everything for me!
    gbaker3
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/02 13:30:35 (permalink)
    Good luck! I am curious how this will play out, so be sure to post an update. My money is on CPU or the CPU socket on the mobo.

KenMcC
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/02 17:19:17 (permalink)
    OMFGLOLSPOON 
    no problem; just putting in my 2 cents just in case it may be of some benefit. 

KenMcC
    Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W;

Windows 10 x64 Prof.  
    OfftheCuff_EVGA
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/02 17:41:45 (permalink)
    A2, A6 and D7 are all very common codes for the motherboard, none of them mean bad things. A2 means the mother is looking for an SSD or HDD, if it cannot find one and you have already swapped with different drive then you will want to check the Sata cables you are using and attempt a different socket.
    A6 just means the motherboard is in the BIOS and D7 is no console input devices (as you indicated) and that just means you need to connect a keyboard to continue.
    It is possible that the motherboard is still the issue, but usually it will not get through POST at all on that case and be unresponsive during power up.
    If you can get the motherboard into the BIOS check the 3.3v, 5v and 12v for the system (Bios > Advanced > Hardware Monitor)
    Make sure they are within +/- of the rated values and never fluctuate more than about 50mv (0.05v).
    If you are still not able to get the system working correctly feel free to reach out to Tech Support directly, EVGA.com > Service > Support Tickets

Tech RayH helping you out on his (my) own time! 
    The first principle of a free society is...
    OMFGLOLSPOON
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/03 04:25:55 (permalink)
    Tooo it back guys and they couldn't get it booting into a different SSD they tried eveutning, they didn't have a clue. Ended up getting a replacement for free :D
    OMFGLOLSPOON
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/03 07:10:22 (permalink)
    Update
    Rebuilt the pc same error.... now I'm back at the shop testing everything again!
    mike406
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 904
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/03 17:33:11 (permalink)
    Are they/you testing with different RAM and PSU? You cannot completely remove the RAM as the board requires at least the second slot populated with a stick to POST.

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 203
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/12 19:16:33 (permalink)
    OMFGLOLSPOON
    Hey

I've been having so many problems in the last few weeks with my pc and I think I've narrowed it down to the motherboard. If anyone has any ideas please for the love of god tell me as I think I've tried everything!!!!

It started while I was playing PUBG, where my pc would freeze due to internet lag the game would say, but my internet would be fine, it would freeze numerous times then my pc would either feeeze prompting me to turn it off by the switch or it would blue screen with different errors. This would cause the operating system to become corrupt meaning I would have to do a fresh install every time this happend, which was about 5 times!

I Googled countless times on what the problem may have been and I thought maybe increasing the Windows virtual memory, installing the game on a different HDD and even changing my Ethernet DNs server, after doing this I thought Id fixed it, the game didn't lag spike anymore and my pc was working great!!!

But today after coming home from work and attempting to turn my pc on the screen goes black, and then the same blue screen with the same windows currupt files!

After attempting to do the same with the windows install the motherboard kept on coming up with error codes, A6,A2, D7 and wouldn't post or even load into the bios. I checked all the wires and made sure nothing was touching the motherboard it self, but all the monitor would do is turn on and go black then turn it self back off and repeat. I've unplugged eveything from the USBs in the back and front still nothing, I removed ram, used different harddrives and even wires but nothing. It's hit and miss when it will actually go into bios or just do the same blank screen.

I've had the windows corrupt on my once before a few months ago, which I thought was the SSDs fault so I get a replacement but obviously it's somrthing else which I have no idea about!

Also sometimes when booting it would show the code A2 then when I unplug my keyboard it would go away then show up D7 meaning I have no input device connected! I'm so confused guys and I've only had this setup for 9 months, and I've not done any overclocking at all!!

I've tested my GPU on a different pc so I can rule that out!

And it doesn't help the fact I've got Insomnia61 two weeks away which I've paid a lot of money to go to!!
    Sorry about the longness of this!

Specs

EVGA Z170 Stinger
    I5 6600K
    16gb Doninator 3200
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Corsair H100i

Do you have that "my opinion" junk corsair link running when this happens?

Overall not a single issue out of board here 1.08 bio's

I tested 2 corsair blocks on my cpu the link seemed to have something odd about it when they were hooked up but booted both blocks back for refund because my air setup just destroyed the temps on those water blocks.

I would recommend you to download HWiNFO64 and post the full data from that

You should post way more information like memory timings, voltages all around etc.

Is your 12V rail or rails even stable?

OMFGLOLSPOON
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/13 03:48:03 (permalink)
    I would post more information but as I can't get on the pc at the time I couldn't.

It's fixed now l, with me having no clue how.
    pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/13 05:36:22 (permalink)
    OMFGLOLSPOON
    I would post more information but as I can't get on the pc at the time I couldn't.

It's fixed now l, with me having no clue how.

Excellent news can't complain there, not sure what you did? Or was it just sitting then powered on to boot and it did?

I'm fixing to fire up a old but new in the box 680i SE unknown if it is still good well it is just unknown lol. But plan on using it for media server so I don't have to run this thing 24.7 kill off my at the time overpriced cpu before intel got ripped a new 1 and dropped the i6700k and everything else down in price. Just ridiculous they sit on that tech so long gulkping up the money kind of happy for AMD to do that though total freak out mode release the next 4 gens and still are crappy everyday use CPUs even the 10 core isnt no better or difference in everyday work flow from this chip.

But I'm just gonna get me a 500W or so evga PSU instead of pulling this one from main and fire up the ole 680i, hopefully someone tells me the issue with Core2 Quads and the clicking deal, my 77780i will power but I cannot even remember for sure if I fried PCI slot 1 of just baked that nasty room heater card that in it. EVGA GTX470 I sure do remember putting a small AC in my window using that thing

But didn't adjust anything in bio's before booted?

But sorry didnt see all the replies to thread until I posted glad you got it worked out I booted up a old Gateway I used for 2 months then built old rig lol...

post edited by pittbull - 2017/08/13 05:41:20

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Z170 many unknown issues, please help. 2017/08/13 05:52:39 (permalink)
    BTW why did the Z170 boards get dropped for sales?

I been away most of the year about broke my neck well about died to be honest freak accident so living penny to penny now hurts coming on because I can't afford nothing I need lol

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile