EVGA

Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games?

Author
007vsMagua
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1677
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2017/12/15 09:31:50 (permalink)

I've always been a PC gamer and have never owned a console, but recently the new Xbox One X has caught my attention because of it's 4K gaming specifications. I'm aware the Xbox does provide support for the keyboard and mouse in non-gaming applications, but I've also been seeing many articles about how Microsoft is going to extend that support for playing games. Does anyone know if this is true or is it just an ongoing rumor? 

"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to Sea and sink." _Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

EVGA __ RTX 3070 FTW Super   ---   INTEL __ i7-7700K 
MSI __ Z270 Gaming M7   ---  GSKILL __ 16GB TridentZ 3200
NZXT __ Kraken X62 / HUE+ / GRID+ v2 / AER Fans x2 / USB Hub
SAMSUNG  __ 850 EVO 500GB   ---   WD  __  1TB Black / 1TB Blue 
EVGA  __ 850 G3   ---   NZXT  __  S340 Elite (White)  -  [/siz

14 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/15 10:48:50 (permalink)
    I think that it is mostly rumor. Some game developers are specifically banning keyboard and mouse support. If you do get keyboard and mouse support to work, if you don't get banned for using it, expect to be flamed for it for many months or years before it is finally considered acceptable (if ever). Rather than buying keyboards and mice and joining in, many console players consider it pay-to-win and unacceptable.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

007vsMagua
    FTW Member
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/15 12:45:14 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I think that it is mostly rumor. Some game developers are specifically banning keyboard and mouse support. If you do get keyboard and mouse support to work, if you don't get banned for using it, expect to be flamed for it for many months or years before it is finally considered acceptable (if ever). Rather than buying keyboards and mice and joining in, many console players consider it pay-to-win and unacceptable.

I have no interest in playing online competitive games. I like single player games like Fallout and Skyrim. I have a great PC for playing those games on my nice monitor, but this new Xbox One X has peaked my interest in adding something to my living room. It would be nice to be able to use a wireless keyboard and mouse to play those games on a big 4K TV in my living room.

"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to Sea and sink." _Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/15 14:11:48 (permalink)
    007vsMagua
    ty_ger07

I have no interest in playing online competitive games. I like single player games like Fallout and Skyrim. I have a great PC for playing those games on my nice monitor, but this new Xbox One X has peaked my interest in adding something to my living room. It would be nice to be able to use a wireless keyboard and mouse to play those games on a big 4K TV in my living room.

What you need to do is look into Nvidia Shield which will stream from your PC to whatever. Far cheaper than consoles to play on 4k in other rooms away from the PC.
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 883
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/15 20:44:35 (permalink)
    That's  just what  i  use nvidia shield,   stream  to  an  lg  oled  65in for hdr  games   from  the  pc, works  like a charm and looks  outstanding.
    007vsMagua
    FTW Member
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/16 09:34:00 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    What you need to do is look into Nvidia Shield which will stream from your PC to whatever. Far cheaper than consoles to play on 4k in other rooms away from the PC.

blackforce
    That's  just what  i  use nvidia shield,   stream  to  an  lg  oled  65in for hdr  games   from  the  pc, works  like a charm and looks  outstanding.

Does the Nvidia Shield work with a wireless keyboard and mouse?

SUPER 6
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/19 15:57:03 (permalink)
    you can use a keyboard and mouse now on any console..im using a mouse for aiming,,crouching,,etc and the left side of the xbox controller for movement on my xbox 1 s...google ""XIM4""..it emulates the M/KB moves so u wont get kicked out of multiplayer games...be sure to get a high DPI mouse for it,,mine is 12000...u can program it with a smart phone and Bluetooth or thru a PC..Map the commands just like a PC..

it really takes console gaming to the next level...and yes ,, im eye balling the new xbox 1 x also...but in order to take full advantage of the X console..im going to have to get a 4K T.V. also...   the xim4 is money well spent until Microsoft supports M/KB for there gaming..

my heat
    evga x58 E770 classified 3  core i7  970 4.2 ghz 1.25 vcore 35c---xspc triple radiator---evga gtx 680's--sli corsair 3x4 gb 9-9-9-24  corsair ax1200 psu--dtek cpu waterblock---creative recon3d sound card pci-e x1---corsair 800d case--logitech wingman--logitech g5 mouse--LG 27" LED monitor. 

like all men/corporations all i want is more

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/20 07:45:44 (permalink)
    it emulates the M/KB moves so u wont get kicked out of multiplayer games

Like I said, I am sure that many of the players in your game consider what you are doing to be abusive. Especially since you acknowledge that you are purposely avoiding being kicked for something you apparently feel a little guilty about.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

007vsMagua
    FTW Member
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/22 11:28:03 (permalink)
    fearpoint

blackforce

I'm a bit of a Wireless/Bluetooth novice so here's some simple questions:

I'm looking at the Walmart selection of 4K HDR LCD 65" UHD TV's and most seem to be selling for around $800.00. Maybe six years ago I purchased a 40" Sony XBR at Walmart and spent $500.00 and thought I was getting a great deal...and it was at that time. Spending an extra $300.00 for an upgrade also seems like a good deal. The Sony is my current living room TV that I sit about nine feet from and the new 65" TV would be mounted to the wall behind making my viewing distance about ten feet.

If I were to use the Nvidia Shield to stream to my new TV I suspect that the system is wireless?

Is there some type of wireless hub I can use in my living room to connect a wireless keyboard and mouse to my PC (In Bedroom) to use in conjunction with the Nvidia Shield for playing Fallout 4?

Thanks_ Happy Holidays

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/23 08:21:12 (permalink)
    No, you wouldn't set it up that way. The Shield streams the controls to the PC and the PC streams the video image to the Shield to the TV. So, if using the Shield, if you want to use a keyboard and mouse, you have to make sure that the keyboard and mouse can connect to the Shield and is compatible with the Shield. The Shield is the hub for the whole experience. The tradeoff for the simple Shield solution is that there will be increased latency from the time you make a control change until the time that you see that change on the TV. And, image quality on the TV screen verus the computer screen's original image quality is degraded due to video streaming and high performance/low(ish) quality video compression due to needing a short video buffer (for improved latency) and thus poor compression prediction.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/23 11:52:16 (permalink)
    Leak seems to show that Microsoft plans to announce Xbox keyboard/nouse support soon:
    https://www.youtube.com/w...Te1GDOlMuc&t=1m16s

biscuit1
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1470
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/23 23:06:56 (permalink)
    I've been watching this also . The new X has me interested if the m/kb does come to it officially . I don't play multiplayer either , but having to build a new rig every few years is for the birds . Plus , less and less support for sli in games and NVidia is slowly abandoning it . I fell for the 980ti hype that said DX 12 and 4k ready . So now I have 2 980tis that are (were) almost worth the price of a Titan XYZ (or whatever they call them now) . And yes , I do have a pc in the living room that I can do in-home streaming . Wireless m/kb aren't that great for gaming for my couch (I have a large living room - over 20' from my TV to my couch) . 

WHAT THE WIFE DON'T KNOW WON'T HURT YOU!
    Main rig - i7 7820X  , Corsair H110 cpu cooler , 32 gb Team G memory , Evga X299 Micro ATX 2  mobo , Corsair 850 psu , 2 evga 1080ti in SLI , Win 10 Pro 64 bit ,  43" TCL HDR 4K TV as monitor, Coolermaster HAF 32 case.
    biscuit1
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1470
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/23 23:15:16 (permalink)
    007vsMagua
    fearpoint

blackforce

I'm looking at the Walmart selection of 4K HDR LCD 65" UHD TV's and most seem to be selling for around $800.00. Maybe six years ago I purchased a 40" Sony XBR at Walmart and spent $500.00 and thought I was getting a great deal...and it was at that time. Spending an extra $300.00 for an upgrade also seems like a good deal. The Sony is my current living room TV that I sit about nine feet from and the new 65" TV would be mounted to the wall behind making my viewing distance about ten feet.

If I were to use the Nvidia Shield to stream to my new TV I suspect that the system is wireless?

Is there some type of wireless hub I can use in my living room to connect a wireless keyboard and mouse to my PC (In Bedroom) to use in conjunction with the Nvidia Shield for playing Fallout 4?

Thanks_ Happy Holidays

If you're looking for 4k TV's , check your local Fry's if you have one . They have some rather inexpensive 4k TVs there if a no - name brand doesn't scare you . Their Silo brand (made in California) are very inexpensive . They have a 65" 4k that usually sells for $499.99 (no HDR) , has 4 hdmi 2.0 ports that are all 2.2 HDPT compliant . Most all the name brand have only 2 ports that are HDMI 2.0 . They also have (when in stock) a bigger one that is 75" (if not mistaken) that also has ARC support and (maybe)HDR10 . But that one listed at just over $1000.00 .

WHAT THE WIFE DON'T KNOW WON'T HURT YOU!
    Main rig - i7 7820X  , Corsair H110 cpu cooler , 32 gb Team G memory , Evga X299 Micro ATX 2  mobo , Corsair 850 psu , 2 evga 1080ti in SLI , Win 10 Pro 64 bit ,  43" TCL HDR 4K TV as monitor, Coolermaster HAF 32 case.
    SUPER 6
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/26 18:45:49 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    it emulates the M/KB moves so u wont get kicked out of multiplayer games

Like I said, I am sure that many of the players in your game consider what you are doing to be abusive. Especially since you acknowledge that you are purposely avoiding being kicked for something you apparently feel a little guilty about.

GUILTY?lol..not hardly..since I have not played any multiplayer since setting up my xim4...was merely pointing out the ability of the unit if 1 chose to do so,,and how much its being used already....
    I play mainly single player...almost at the end of wolfenstien colossus...using a mouse in it is great!would not be at the point in game without it...the aiming stick as u all know is clumsy as all heck...

with what MS is going to do with M/K support is going to impact ALL PC gamers because mostly..u wont need to keep upgrading very expensive PC componets like we all do and I have done for the last 10+ years...to play games..with decent frame rates,,high resolution,4k,etc..if u put a mouse in my hand I will kill all of u...now to install cod ww2 in my xbox 1 s...xim4 until MS adds support..i think my 1080ti will be going to waste surfing the internet... 

my heat
    evga x58 E770 classified 3  core i7  970 4.2 ghz 1.25 vcore 35c---xspc triple radiator---evga gtx 680's--sli corsair 3x4 gb 9-9-9-24  corsair ax1200 psu--dtek cpu waterblock---creative recon3d sound card pci-e x1---corsair 800d case--logitech wingman--logitech g5 mouse--LG 27" LED monitor. 

SUPER 6
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Xbox One X - Keyboard and Mouse Support for Games? 2017/12/26 18:51:47 (permalink)
    biscuit1
    007vsMagua
    fearpoint

blackforce

Thanks_ Happy Holidays

If you're looking for 4k TV's , check your local Fry's if you have one . They have some rather inexpensive 4k TVs there if a no - name brand doesn't scare you . Their Silo brand (made in California) are very inexpensive . They have a 65" 4k that usually sells for $499.99 (no HDR) , has 4 hdmi 2.0 ports that are all 2.2 HDPT compliant . Most all the name brand have only 2 ports that are HDMI 2.0 . They also have (when in stock) a bigger one that is 75" (if not mistaken) that also has ARC support and (maybe)HDR10 . But that one listed at just over $1000.00 .

BTW...I looked at 4K TV's at best buy over Christmas...yes.u can buy 1 for 999.00 ish...BUT they r far from the same...I have a 1080 hd plasma tv..the salesman said the only reason to upgrade to a 4k from what I have to see any difference..is if I bought the 4k "oled" "hdr" multi hdmi with ALL the other optins top of the line 2500.00 + unit...or its just a waste..as in no eye candy difference..the lower models will not be any better....FYI..

my heat

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile