EVGA

XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking

Author
rsneed
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/11/02 20:06:22 (permalink)
Evening, I havent ran XOC for a few months and decided it was time with Destiny 2.  I've noticed if XOC is open, even with factory settings and zero over clocking, it crashes the game within minutes.  i've ran for 2 weeks without XOC installed and everything was fine.  I even had the game crash once with XOC closed down but have not been able to replicate that again.  Any ideas of what might be causing it, or should i just uninstall and move on?   *note* i do not use the OSD

Thanks,

17 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2017/11/02 23:09:43 (permalink)
    Adjust what you need to inside xoc then close it and play your game.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2017/11/03 04:32:02 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums.

I you haven't, I suggest uninstalling Precision..Then after restarting your PC, delete it's leftover folder and .cfg files located in the Progran Files (x86)\EVGA folder..Then press the Windows + R keys to open Run..Then type in taskschd.msc and run it..Then see if EVGAPrecisionX is in the Task Scheduler Library..If it's there, right-click it and End, then Delete..All that should clean out leftover things (which has been known to cause problems) pretty good..Then install the latest version of Precision (or try another/older version that might work better) here and set it up how you want it..Roll from there.

As stated above, you can make overclock settings and then close Precision and the settings will remain..A manually set/fixed fan speed will remain also, but automatic/custom fan speed will not.

MSI Afterburner is an alternative to EVGA Precision, except that for 10 Series/iCX cards only GPU fan control is available.

It's always helpful when people list what OS and hardware they're running..Kinda hard sometimes to help when there's unknowns.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

jmaster299
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 107
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2017/11/04 17:27:06 (permalink)
    Sajin

You clearly don't understand how XOC works. If you close it, you lose all user defined fan curves. RGB settings will stick, but things like fan curves do not. 

Cooler Master H500P | i7 8700K@5GHz | CLC 280 | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR4@3000MHz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | Samsung EVO 960 500GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | WD Black 2TB | AOC G2460PF 144Hz
    Previously owned EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, EVGA 970 SC, EVGA 670 FTW Sig2, EVGA 570 HD, EVGA 8800 GT and EVGA Killer Xeno Pro. 
    EVGA CLC 280 and EVGA Supernova 750w G3 purchased and waiting for install in new build.
    Look at my join date and ownership history before you try telling me I'm not a real fan of EVGA. I even bought the damn hat.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2017/11/04 17:35:52 (permalink)
    jmaster299
    Sajin

You clearly don't understand how XOC works. If you close it, you lose all user defined fan curves. RGB settings will stick, but things like fan curves do not. 

I know how it works. I don't use custom fan curves. I always use manual fan adjustments.
    Maxxgold
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/05/13 08:29:50 (permalink)
    For anyone reading this, switch to MSI Afterburner and Destiny 2 will stop crashing, freezing, and locking up. EVGA Percision X, and EVGA XOC don't play nice with Destiny 2, and no one at EVGA has a clue about it. Every thread I found, like this one, just had people being rude. Switch to MSI Afturburner 4.50, and your crashing will go away.

I'm using version 4.5.0  Guru 3D is a safe site.

rbedell
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/05/13 10:17:06 (permalink)
    I don't know if Sajin is an EVGA employee, but a lot of his/her comments are pretty abrasive and unprofessional for a "moderator". A company's response should not be "set it and close it" when that's not how the product was designed to work.

Uninstall it and install version 6.1.6 from the website. I was fighting this same issue since I got my card. MSI Afterburner worked fine and the latest version of XOC crashed Destiny 2 and Overwatch. I found another post about the newest versions of XOC affecting OC Scanner and recommended to install the 6.1.6 version. If you want to stay with XOC that's what I would recommend. All my issues are now cleared up once I installed it.
    lunatekx
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/10/13 14:31:56 (permalink)
    rbedell
    I don't know if Sajin is an EVGA employee, but a lot of his/her comments are pretty abrasive and unprofessional for a "moderator". A company's response should not be "set it and close it" when that's not how the product was designed to work.

Uninstall it and install version 6.1.6 from the website. I was fighting this same issue since I got my card. MSI Afterburner worked fine and the latest version of XOC crashed Destiny 2 and Overwatch. I found another post about the newest versions of XOC affecting OC Scanner and recommended to install the 6.1.6 version. If you want to stay with XOC that's what I would recommend. All my issues are now cleared up once I installed it.

I'll second that.  As a PC Support and Service major I can firmly say that was one of the most defensive and unprofessional reactions from an official moderator I have ever seen.  And what's more, you are absolutely correct that the software wasn't designed to function like that, adjusting some settings are closing the application is some of the laziest and worst solutions I've heard.

"You are correct that adjusting the settings and closing EVGA Precision is not the preferred way to operate the software.  However, it may provide the 1st step to narrowing down the cause of CTD issue the OP is experiencing and provide a quick fix solution to get into the game.  You are also correct that Precision will not provide any support for custom profiles or fan curves, so once the source of CTD is confirmed other steps will be necessary to troubleshoot the Precision X software." ...or something to that effect would have been a little more appropriate.

Personally, I started with a freshly formatted drive and fresh install of Windows 10 and had immediate CTD's with Overwatch.  I narrowed it down to Precision X (closed Precision and then loaded Overwatch) and voila no more CTD's after the program was closed.  I uninstalled Precision X and deleted the remnant files after rebooting as one poster suggested, reinstalled Precision and everything is back to running 100%.  While simply closing Precision did solve the CTD, it wouldn't have solved anything in regards to being able to run simultaneously with my games.  I recommend you go back to school Sajin and work on your communication skills.
    post edited by Sajin - 2018/10/13 16:38:04
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/10/13 14:42:35 (permalink)
    lunatekx
    rbedell

I'll second that.  As a PC Support and Service major I can firmly say that was one of the most defensive and unprofessional reactions from an official moderator I have ever seen.  And what's more, you are absolutely correct that the software wasn't designed to function like that, adjusting some settings are closing the application is some of the laziest and worst solutions I've heard.

"You are correct that adjusting the settings and closing EVGA Precision is not the preferred way to operate the software.  However, it may provide the 1st step to narrowing down the cause of CTD issue the OP is experiencing and provide a quick fix solution to get into the game.  You are also correct that Precision will not provide any support for custom profiles or fan curves, so once the source of CTD is confirmed other steps will be necessary to troubleshoot the Precision X software." ...or something to that effect would have been a little more appropriate.

Personally, I started with a freshly formatted drive and fresh install of Windows 10 and had immediate CTD's with Overwatch.  I narrowed it down to Precision X (closed Precision and then loaded Overwatch) and voila no more CTD's after the program was closed.  I uninstalled Precision X and deleted the remnant files after rebooting as one poster suggested, reinstalled Precision and everything is back to running 100%.  While simply closing Precision did solve the CTD, it wouldn't have solved Anything in regards to being able to run simultaneously with my games.  I recommend you go back to school Sajin and work on your communication skills.

No Sajin is not an EVGA Employee but you will get use to him, like me in a way we are just direct in some of our postings.
    And Sajin is helpful for the most part, I have just learned to tolerate him as he has with me.
    I am running 6.2.7 myself and even have it showing on my Z10 KB.
    I have found that you can Pause the HWM and for me this fixed some issues I was seeing.
    But for the most Part I do set my OC in PXOC and Exit the software unless I am showing info on the Z10 KB.
    I Do Not use the OSD and have just found that some programs just run better with PXOC Closed.
    This is my Post about the Pause Precision XOC (PXOC) Fix for AIDA64 Extreme to Desplay on the Z10 KB LCD 
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/10/13 15:20:59

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

coolmistry
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2502
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/10/13 14:51:01 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    lunatekx
    rbedell

Personally, I started with a freshly formatted drive and fresh install of Windows 10 and had immediate CTD's with Overwatch.  I narrowed it down to Precision X (closed Precision and then loaded Overwatch) and voila no more CTD's after the program was closed.  I uninstalled Precision X and deleted the remnant files after rebooting as one poster suggested, reinstalled Precision and everything is back to running 100%.  While simply closing Precision did solve the CTD, it wouldn't have solved anything in regards to being able to run simultaneously with my games.  I recommend you go back to school Sajin and work on your communication skills.

No Sajin is not an EVGA Employee but you will get use to him, like me in a way we are just direct in some of our postings.
    And Sajin is helpful for the most part.
    I have found that you can Pause the HWM and for me this fixed some issues I was seeing.
    This is my Post about the Pause Precision XOC (PXOC) Fix for AIDA64 Extreme to Desplay on the Z10 KB LCD 

+1
     you not only one as everybody do have issue! I still using 6.2.7 that what we try solves the problem as above bcavnaugh post trying saying!!!
    post edited by Sajin - 2018/10/13 16:38:55

Windows 11 Home 64bits up to Dated
    i9 11900K 5,275 MHz (3,500 MHz) || EVGA Z590 FTW WIFI || 2 x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti FE || 32Gb Dominator Platinum DDR3 3600mhz XMP OC 3800mhz || 500gb Samsung 980 Pro NVMe || 500gb Samsung 970 EVO and Sata M.2 (1 x SSD and 1xHHD) || EVGA CLCx 360 Cooler || EVGA Supernova 1300w X3 || EVGA Z10 Keyboard || EVGA TORQ X10 mouse ||EVGA DG 77 case || Acer Predator  X35 35" 200Hz G-Sync || Logitech Z906 5.1 system sounds SPDIF|| Kaspersky Internet Security
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/10/13 14:54:18 (permalink)
    I give it my best

coolmistry
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2502
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/10/13 14:58:39 (permalink)
    Me too...
    did you know when you using PXOC.... did you know that into task manager EVGA PrecisionXserver draw high usage every secs up and down? 

Windows 11 Home 64bits up to Dated
    i9 11900K 5,275 MHz (3,500 MHz) || EVGA Z590 FTW WIFI || 2 x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti FE || 32Gb Dominator Platinum DDR3 3600mhz XMP OC 3800mhz || 500gb Samsung 980 Pro NVMe || 500gb Samsung 970 EVO and Sata M.2 (1 x SSD and 1xHHD) || EVGA CLCx 360 Cooler || EVGA Supernova 1300w X3 || EVGA Z10 Keyboard || EVGA TORQ X10 mouse ||EVGA DG 77 case || Acer Predator  X35 35" 200Hz G-Sync || Logitech Z906 5.1 system sounds SPDIF|| Kaspersky Internet Security
    lunatekx
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/10/13 15:00:08 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    lunatekx
    rbedell

And Sajin is helpful for the most part, I have just learned to tolerate him as he has with me.
    But for the most Part I do set my OC in PXOC and Exit the software unless I am showing info on the Z10 KB.
    I Do Not use the OSD and have just found that some programs just run better with PXOC Closed.

Nothing wrong with being forward or to the point, I just think it could have used some polish on the delivery, especially coming from a Moderator.  On top of that it didn't really solve anything, it just put a band-aid on the problem, leaving the issue wholly unresolved. 
    post edited by Sajin - 2018/10/13 16:39:21
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/10/13 15:15:48 (permalink)
    There are a lot of open issues unresolved with PXOC and most of us are waiting for PX1 but I would still like to see an update for PXOC for better support under Windows 10 1809.
    Also this is an Open Public Forum so 99% of the members posting are just like you and me.
    Also what bob16314 Posted above it is hard to help someone without knowing the hardware.
    For all we know the OP's Graphics Card could be an MSI or ASUS Graphics Cards.
    While it may work non-EVGA cards they do not have full PXOC support for all features.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/10/13 15:32:15

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/10/13 15:33:28 (permalink)
    coolmistry
    Me too...
    did you know when you using PXOC.... did you know that into task manager EVGA PrecisionXserver draw high usage every secs up and down? 

Only if you Click on the OSD Button in my testing at least.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/10/13 16:41:16 (permalink)
    @lunatekx

Watch your language. If you continue to use foul language I'll have to hand out a warning.
    camelguy
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2018/10/22 00:19:29 (permalink)
    Came here as I've been having issues with Precision XOC and Destiny 2 as well.  I just went through a reinstall but did not check the task scheduler.  I will report back after I give it a try.  I can defiantly say that uninstalling fixed the issue and this only occurred recently, so it may be related to the latest version of XOC. I just recently updated when trying to troubleshoot the start at boot issue, but I have not had an issue with it and Destiny 2 previously.
    bazampi
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: XOC causing game to crash even when not overclocking 2019/06/20 19:13:38 (permalink)
    Has this been resolved yet? I had to uninstall Precision X earlier this year because it was crashing Destiny pretty consistently. The issue disappeared after uninstalling it. I would like to have Precision X again for the simple fact that I like having a custom fan curve rather than the default BIOS one I'm stuck with at the moment.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile