EVGA

X99 classified locks up once to desktop

Author
Grimmy
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/10/12 13:53:59 (permalink)
So I've had my system running very well, with no issues.  I then let up update to Windows 10, and the troubles start from there and continue to this day.  I can start my machine and once to the desktop, if I don't move my mouse, it will lock up and I have to hold the power button to shut it off and restart.  I noticed 33 on the board when it was locked up.  I've gone into msconfig and shut off anything I don't need on start up and it still locks up.  I thought it was my keyboard, as it was a Logitech G19 wired keyboard, so I got a new keyboard (Razer Blackwindow Chroma stealth) and well it does the same thing.  I've even moved the mouse quickly, let the room and come back and it's locked up again.  Once it's running and I move the mouse, it will be fine till I shut it off again. I've toyed with reformatting and starting from scratch, but well if I do that, I want to try the new M.2 SSD that's suppose to be coming out this month from Samsung.  I've tried looking through the windows event viewer but haven't found anything to help.

Specs are X99 Classified, i7-5930k, 16G ram, EVGA GTX590, 2x OCZ 120G in Raid 0, Windows 10 Pro.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

25 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2016/10/12 16:03:35 (permalink)
    Do you have System Restore turned on? It might be as easy as restoring an earlier point to fix whatever Windows update borked things up.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-to-fix-windows-10-problems-with-system-restore-11364008291943 

That same guide has instructions on how to refresh the OS and keep your files intact as well, should you not have system restore turned on or if it fails.

You can also open up the command prompt and run "sfc /scannow" to have windows scan for and fix any corrupted windows files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833 

You can also burn a memtest86 (free!) disc to check to see if your RAM has a problem (it boots from the disc like a Windows install disc): http://www.memtest86.com/  - let it run for a while, several complete passes, to verify the RAM is OK.
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/10/12 16:09:35
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49166
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2016/10/12 16:44:34 (permalink)
    Grimmy
    I then let up update to Windows 10

That is your problem. Upgrading can cause issues. You need to perform a clean install of windows 10.
    Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2016/10/12 17:06:08 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Do you have System Restore turned on? It might be as easy as restoring an earlier point to fix whatever Windows update borked things up.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-to-fix-windows-10-problems-with-system-restore-11364008291943 

That same guide has instructions on how to refresh the OS and keep your files intact as well, should you not have system restore turned on or if it fails.

You can also open up the command prompt and run "sfc /scannow" to have windows scan for and fix any corrupted windows files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833 

You can also burn a memtest86 (free!) disc to check to see if your RAM has a problem (it boots from the disc like a Windows install disc): http://www.memtest86.com/  - let it run for a while, several complete passes, to verify the RAM is OK.

I'm not sure if I have system restore on or not.  I have my own backup solution, I run Acronis every Tuesday, and create a full image, that I store on a 4T internal drive in this system.  I will try that link, as I have backups I can always fall back upon.  If that works, great.  If not, then I think I will do a fresh format and start from scratch (or rather just wait to get my hands on the new M.2 Samsung drive and just unplug my SSDs for the time being).

Thanks for the tips.  I will report back my findings.
    Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2016/12/31 16:20:56 (permalink)
    Ok, just an update, as it's been that long to get my hands on a new hard drive, the M.2 960 Pro.  I got it installed, and things seem to be working pretty well so far, other than my sound.

I have 5.1 speakers.  The front left doesn't seem to be working right, but it was before.  I'm curious if it might be do to where I have my sound card installed.  I have a GTX590 in slot PE1.  My Creative Sound Blaster Z is in PE4.  I've made sure my cables are plugged in accordingly and such, but it's like the left speaker is super muffled.  I swapped the cables around and the issue stayed with what's coming from the left cord.  The speaker sounded fine when I swapped them.

Any thoughts?
    post edited by Grimmy - 2016/12/31 16:34:45
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2016/12/31 17:19:15 (permalink)
    It could be your soundcard if the same output is making that type of noise.  Make sure all your settings are set right in the software and search to see if others have had this issue.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2016/12/31 17:31:43 (permalink)
    Any issues in Device Manager ?

If you have a sound card and its driver loaded, did you also load the Nvidia GPU driver including Nvidia sound drivers ? 

You can do a custom install of Nvidia driver and Not select the sound drivers from Nvidia. - unless you like to use HDMI or DP with sound  from monitor sperakers

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2016/12/31 18:01:25 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

If you have a sound card and its driver loaded, did you also load the Nvidia GPU driver including Nvidia sound drivers ? 

You can do a custom install of Nvidia driver and Not select the sound drivers from Nvidia. - unless you like to use HDMI or DP with sound  from monitor sperakers

That might be it, I did the nVidia drivers and didn't do custom.  Doh!!
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/01 02:18:31 (permalink)
    Grimmy
    Cool GTX

That might be it, I did the nVidia drivers and didn't do custom.  Doh!!

You need to prioritize the sound setup in general.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/01 06:27:14 (permalink)
    Ok, that wasn't it with the sound.  Still having that issue.

BUT.....I woke up this morning, booted into Windows super fast, start checking email, them BAM, it locks up again.  Can't move anything, no control + alt + delete, nothing.  I hit the reset button on the case (which earlier on in this problem did work but then didn't) and nothing happened.  I wait about 20 seconds, and the system just reboots itself.

Yesterday I did get a couple blue screens, something about a page fault in nonpaged area.

So not sure what's causing this now.  Starting to wondering if I have a hardware issue that occurs if I let the computer sit for a period of time, that requires a reboot when I first turn it on, and then it goes away.

A side note, my left channel speaker is working this morning. (knocks on wood)  Makes no sense there.  Everything is good in device manager.
    post edited by Grimmy - 2017/01/01 06:44:43
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/01 19:44:34 (permalink)
    Are you running a SSD or a mechanical drive?  Might be your pagefile as it warned you about.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/02 04:06:34 (permalink)
    I'm running the new Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512G as my boot drive, and then I have a 500g mechanical for storage, as well as a 4T for more storage.

So I tried yesterday, and I'm able to replicate the problem, by shutting the switch off on the power supply, pressing the button, and then waiting for maybe a minute, power back on, and it will lock up about 30 seconds after on the desktop.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/02 04:19:31 (permalink)
    Are there any overclocks?  If there are, try running it at stock.  

If that doesn't do anything, stay at stock settings and run your bare essentials only.  Disconnect or take out anything other than the OS drive, keyboard and mouse.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/02 06:01:57 (permalink)
    Everything is at stock clocks. No overclocking what so ever.

I will try disconnecting all, when I get home from work.  Thanks.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/02 09:33:15 (permalink)
    Grimmy
    I'm running the new Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512G as my boot drive, and then I have a 500g mechanical for storage, as well as a 4T for more storage.

So I tried yesterday, and I'm able to replicate the problem, by shutting the switch off on the power supply, pressing the button, and then waiting for maybe a minute, power back on, and it will lock up about 30 seconds after on the desktop.

Remove the Samsung 960 Pro M.2 and Re-Seat it back in and use the Screw to hold it in place.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/01/02 09:37:13

Attached Image(s)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/02 13:57:44 (permalink)
    Well I just got home, and before turning anything on, I removed the sata cable from my dvd burner, sata from my 500g drive, sata from my 4T drive, and removed the sound card from the PE4 slot.  Booted, and all was fine.  Will start adding sata cables, and see where that goes.  I got a feeling it's the sound card, as I've had them go bad before, and they do really goofy things when they do.  Will report back my findings.

Also, with the other drives removed, as the machine posted, it seemed to take a while to do so.  Not the normal set of beeps, just was missing one, and it took maybe 10 seconds before the last beep beeped.  Like a set of 3 beeps, then another set of 3 beeps, 10 second pause, 1 been.  That normal?  Maybe cause I removed the other hard drives, it was looking for but now aren't there, caused that?
    Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/02 14:58:17 (permalink)
    Hmmmmm, interesting.  I first plug the sata to the dvd drive, power on......lock up.
    Remove sata from dvd drive....power on, normal.
    Plug the 4T sata drive in, power on...........lock up.
    Removed the 4T sata and plugged in the 500G sata....power on...............normal.
    Using the same sata from the 500g on the 4T drive........power on............lock up.
    Removed sata from 4T drive.  Installed sound card...........power on.............normal.
    Plug in my Nostromo N52te gamepad, on the front of my case which is usb 2.0...........power on...........lock up.
    Remove USB from N52te gamepad................power on...........normal.
    Plug in N52te into USB3.0 on front of case...........power on............lock up.

So is seems a few things.  It's like it doesn't like my Seagate 4T drive no matter what cable it's on.  It also doesn't like my gaming pad, no matter what plug it's plugged into.  Would this be a motherboard issue?

I forgot to mention I do have a Corsair H110i GT cooling my cpu, and have left the USB plugged in the whole time.

New EVGA power supply as of 3/2016.  System was put together around 9/2016.

*Note, after every power down, I shut the switch on the power supply off, and waited for the lights on the motherboard to go out before doing anything.

post edited by Grimmy - 2017/01/02 15:37:05
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/02 16:29:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing this info with us which helps immensely.  It looks like to me that the board is the issue here.  Highly doubt all your peripherals that you've tested were the problem.  I would even go as far as testing all those on another rig to be 100% sure but I highly doubt it will make a difference really.  I think its time you go through RMAing the MB.  Obviously something is wrong with the board OR by chance it doesn't have the right or conflicting drivers to it.  Make sure everything was update via EVGA download center.  If all is well there, than continue to go down the RMA path.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/02 16:34:57 (permalink)
    I just got off the phone with EVGA awesome support.  I got an RMA going already.  

I do download from EVGA only for my hardware.....all that's EVGA that is.  Otherwise it's from manufacture's site.

To be proactive, I would assume that when I get my new board, I should format and start from scratch again, right?  I still have all my files I downloaded, and can throw them on a usb stick, to save some time downloading.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/02 17:27:19 (permalink)
    I mean you don't have to but just to start fresh and if it isn't too much of a hassle, I would.

Glad to hear you got the RMA in process and hope to hear great news once its all said and done.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/01/10 14:57:38 (permalink)
    So just a quick update.  I got my rma-ed board, got it installed, and used it for 5-6 hours that night.  Next day, it wouldn't do a thing!  Called EVGA, they said it was a power supply, so ran to town, to find out they didn't have one.  Ran to another town an hour away to pick up an EVGA 850W brozne one.  Installed it, still wouldn't do anything.  On the phone again, and they going to send another board that's been tested a lot longer.  In the mean time, I've been able to rma my cpu and ram.  This way everything is new.

Also since I am tired of waiting, I just ordered a whole new Z270 system with the 7700 and a 1060 card, to use as my main till I get this X99 back up and running.  It'll be here tomorrow.  I'll update again when I get everything and get it back together.
    Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/03/22 19:05:18 (permalink)
    So it's been a while since I've posted, thought I'd send an update about this.  

I did get a new board, second one that was tested longer to make sure things were good.  I put my M.2 drive in, and the board wouldn't boot.  Long story short the M.2 drive was the cause.  I tested it by putting it in my brand new Z270 system (thank goodness I bought that, or I'd be without a computer for almost 4 months!!!) and it wouldn't boot.  So I have to get a hold of Samsung cause I'm 5 days past being able to return it to Newegg.  WOW, are they slow!  I contacted them and was sent an email form to fill out, they said it'd be 1-2 days.  A week later, I had to send another email asking for someone to look into where my RMA was at, and 2 days after that they finally send me info where to send it.  I send it out, and they were slow to even look at it, and after their 10 period they said they'd have it resolved......was closer to 2 weeks, I email for a status update.  They said it couldn't be repaired and were going to send me a new one.  10 days after that I get an email that they are out of stock and no ETA on when they are to be back in stock.  More time later they finally say they are going to issue me a refund.  A week after that, I ask about the status and am told 14-21 days for a refund.  I just got me refund check yesterday.  I found one on Amazon and had it here right after they said there were none in stock..... and had to pay tax and it cost me $20 more...dammit!

SO, not really wanting to do anything with it, I let it sit for a few weeks.  I finally threw in the M.2 drive, and start installing windows.  Everything goes normal, I'm in windows configuring everything to my liking, when it locks up.  I had to push the power switch to reboot it and it's fine after that.  I make some more changes  (auto login stuff) and I get curious. I shut down the rig, flip the switch on the power supply, and push the on button to make sure things are drained.  I turn the power switch back on, start up the rig.  I get to the desktop, move the mouse around, 10 seconds later, it locks up again!!!   The SAME EXACT PROBLEM I had before!!!   I have changed out everything but the GTX590.  It's a new motherboard, cpu, ram, power supply, M.2 drive.  I don't think my CD drive is even hooked up.

Needless to say I'm not really happy right now.  Could a vid card cause this issue?  I don't have a newer one to try.  I refuse to pull anything out of my Z270 rig to test with.  I don't need 2 rigs down.  I'll be calling EVGA tomorrow night again it seems!

Maybe I should just part the whole thing out and get rid of it!
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/03/22 19:48:15 (permalink)
    Does it lock up in safe mode?

Safe mode doesn't load a lot of drivers, so of it doesn't lock up it could be a driver issue or like you think a problem with the 590.

Can you test in safe mode, and or test the 590 out in a different system?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49166
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/03/22 20:10:13 (permalink)
    Are you running the latest motherboard bios?
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/03/22 20:29:14 (permalink)
    Make sure you've done the proper updates since installing Windows and make sure this M.2 PCIe drive was installed with a UEFI BIOS.

1. BIOS Update

2. MB Driver's Update from site to get the lastest

3. Window's Updates

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Grimmy
    Re: X99 classified locks up once to desktop 2017/03/26 14:18:08 (permalink)
    I haven't tried safe mode..........working on that now.

Yes, Bios is latest.  Got all drivers right from EVGA's site, as it's EVGA x99 board and EVGA GTX590.  After MB drivers were installed, I did a windows update (win10 pro).  Still locks up.

Will report back on the safe mode.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile