Windows Defender icon missing on taskbar

Author
Digital_Fuzion
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 630
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2021/04/11 04:26:13 (permalink)
I can still download the latest definitions manually via Windows update. However, I do not see the icon and I can't seem to run a virus scan. 

8 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Windows Defender icon missing on taskbar 2021/04/11 07:16:54 (permalink)
    OS details for your PC ?

Any other anti-malware software loaded ?   W10 automatically disables Windows Defender if you installed another antivirus

Does this work for you:  select Start, Select the "Gear Icon" then type “defender,” and then select  “Windows Security” - the select "Virus & threat protection"

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Digital_Fuzion
    SSC Member
    Re: Windows Defender icon missing on taskbar 2021/04/11 11:43:23 (permalink)
    No, I don't have any other 3rd party virus, malware software installed. I also checked a couple of other settings and came across all these disabled features.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Windows Defender icon missing on taskbar 2021/04/12 08:44:25 (permalink)
    Did this just recently occur? If yes, try using system restore to restore your pc to a day when the issue wasn’t occurring.
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Windows Defender icon missing on taskbar 2021/04/12 20:16:44 (permalink)
    Open settings, type "taskbar icons" in the search box. The top result will take you to the taskbar settings panel where you can show or hide the Windows Security icon that you're looking for. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Digital_Fuzion
    SSC Member
    Re: Windows Defender icon missing on taskbar 2021/04/12 22:28:03 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Did this just recently occur? If yes, try using system restore to restore your pc to a day when the issue wasn’t occurring.

No, I just happen to use Windows 10 Manager and made some tweak adjustments. After which I got the slowest bootup response. In addition to no Windows defender icon. I can't even update to the latest definitions manually. 
    Digital_Fuzion
    SSC Member
    Re: Windows Defender icon missing on taskbar 2021/04/12 22:53:13 (permalink)
    I enabled the Windows security notification icon and rebooted. I still have no icon or function with the actual software or updates. This is starting to really suck!

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10329
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Windows Defender icon missing on taskbar 2021/04/13 07:35:56 (permalink)
    Digital_Fuzion
    Sajin

No, I just happen to use Windows 10 Manager and made some tweak adjustments. After which I got the slowest bootup response. In addition to no Windows defender icon. I can't even update to the latest definitions manually. 

What kind of tweaks in the Win10 Manager did you make?  You didn't disable the Windows Security Service from loading by chance?  Can you undo the tweaks you made to see if it corrects your issue?

A couple things to look for.  Open your Task Manager and check to see if you have "Windows Security Notification Icon" listed under the processes tab.  Also look under the "Startup" tab in Task Manager to verify that the Windows Security Notification Icon shows it's enabled under "Status".

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Windows Defender icon missing on taskbar 2021/04/13 18:06:31 (permalink)
    Bdary may be correct, that can be caused by the Windows Security service being stopped for some reason. It should be configured to autostart with Windows and should be running.  Hit the Win + R keys, then type services.msc to pull up the services window. 

I'm starting to agree with the others, it sounds a little nefarious. You should make sure your system isn't infected with something. Install the free version of Malwarebytes and let it check your system https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Have water, will cool. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile