Windows 10 WMI Provider Host

Author
RickJamesBish
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 580
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2021/04/02 07:04:00 (permalink)
I have been working on trying to solve this for about a week now and cannot seem to figure it out. I have two systems that are setup very similar as far as apps running. System 1 always seems to have WMI Provider Host at the top of the list when viewing processes by CPU usage. The usage is not great, but seems to be constant, usually about 0.7%.  System 2, when viewing by CPU usage, has WMI Provider Host way down the list and usually sitting at 0%.

Processes that I thought might be causing this, like HWINFO, Precision X, etc.. are all running on both system. I stopped them on the system with the issue but WMI is still up there. Is there any way to track down what is causing it to run all the time? I looked in event viewing for any errors on the process, which is what one site recommended, but that did not reveal anything.

The only thing that I have figured out is that if I restart Service Host: Windows Management Instrumentation, the issue stops. WMI Provider Host sits back down the list at 0% just like system 2. There are two other services dependent on Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). Those both get restarted when I restart WMI. I have tried disabling those two services and rebooting but still get the CPU usage issue, so I do not think it is related to those two services.

Not sure what to do. Any help appreciated.
post edited by RickJamesBish - 2021/04/02 08:17:15

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile