EVGA

Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans?

Author
DamianSicks
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/12 12:12:00 (permalink)
I bought 2 EVGA Gtx 970 ssc acx 2.0 cards for use in SLI awhile ago without knowing that I wouldn't have enough space between the cards to use in my machine. I invested in 3D Vision and a 3D monitor and its not worth it if you don't have the power of 2 cards. I have looked all over with no luck so my final option is to try here:

Would EVGA trade my 2 Gtx 970 cards for 2 Gtx 970 with blower type fans? There is nothing wrong with either card and they are both registered with EVGa but as it stands now I have 1 card in my machine and 1 $300 paperweight. I have been a loyal customer and want to continue to use EVGA gpu's. I would appreciate any help or advice that can be given since I have exhausted all other options. Thanks in advance.

15 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/12 12:38:57 (permalink)
    I doubt it. Wouldn't hurt to ask though... http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/12 12:56:58 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say you don't have enough space between the cards, do you mean you can install them, but the cards would get too hot because there's no free slot between the cards? Blower style coolers are still 2 slots thick, and may do a bit better on temps with SLI due to not exhausting heat into the case, but it doesn't mean for sure that the cards would be much cooler compared to two ACX cards.
    MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/12 14:10:47 (permalink)
    Hello,

unfortunately we do not grant requests to change cooler styles through RMA.

If your 970 products are within 90 days of purchase you can always use the EVGA Step Up promotion to change your fan style

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ 
    DamianSicks
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/12 16:54:27 (permalink)
    Unfortunately its older 90 days which translates to im out of luck. Now comes the painful process of selling my video cards while i save up for months for a new one. No gaming for months.
    post edited by Sajin - 2017/03/12 16:58:36
    DamianSicks
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/12 16:58:21 (permalink)
    Yes, the pc (Alienware Aurora) came originally with 2 gtx 460's with blower fans thats also took up the same amount of space. The case seems to be optimized for this configuration. When I installed the 2 cards 1 would be fine and the other would start to enter the dangerous temp zone pretty quickly. There are no extra slots to even use a riser so blower fans is the only answer unfortunately.
    dwoodward
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6258
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/12 18:24:46 (permalink)
    Does your case have an exhaust fan? Seems strange to me to have such a difference in temps between open air and blower. I'd assume it does, but if not, adding one will greatly help getting rid of the air from an open cooler.

If all is right, then the best way to help your situation is to find a way to direct airflow to the card. My suggestion would be to zip tie a 120mm fan to your hard drive cage directing airflow to your cards. Given the obvious age of the system, I would assume it's no longer in warranty... modifying the hard drive cage to open up your front intake would also help greatly. 

It's worth a shot and very cheap. 

Register your Products! Click Here!
    Did I help you find the product you were looking for?
    Register your Product and remember to enter my EVGA Affiliate Code: JXE2Y5PH4K
    Thanks! And enjoy your new EVGA Graphics Card / Motherboard!
    Associate Code: 9KWI53WAR7PX3KS

Core i9-9900k | ROG Maximus XI Hero | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | 970 Evo NVMe | GTX 1070 Ti SC Black
    DamianSicks
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/12 20:03:50 (permalink)
    dwoodward
    Does your case have an exhaust fan? Seems strange to me to have such a difference in temps between open air and blower. I'd assume it does, but if not, adding one will greatly help getting rid of the air from an open cooler.

If all is right, then the best way to help your situation is to find a way to direct airflow to the card. My suggestion would be to zip tie a 120mm fan to your hard drive cage directing airflow to your cards. Given the obvious age of the system, I would assume it's no longer in warranty... modifying the hard drive cage to open up your front intake would also help greatly. 

It's worth a shot and very cheap. 

The case does indeed have an exhaust fan, several in fact but the 2nd card is way too close to get any cool air into the fans or may in fact be stopping the fans from spinning all the way. I have included a pic of my case "guts" to show you what it looks like. The case is a bit unique, I learned this stuff after it was way too late of course, It seems that the entire airflow of the case is designed around using blower fans. There is a "door" that encloses the 2 gpu's (I took it out in order to take the photo) which directs the hot air out the back while letting in the cool air from top and back get in. I am guessing that the fans blowing the hot air out are bigger then the ones taking cool air in because there is not any large spaces in the front of the case to allow for decent cool air intake. I think it was built this way because the case comes stock with a liquid cooled CPU and its not relying on cool air intake as much as most other cases do. But here is the pic so you can get an idea (there were also more "doors" covering more parts of the case but I removed those too for the pic):

dwoodward
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/12 20:12:52 (permalink)
    I see your exhaust fan on the CPU cooler, but honestly that's the only fan I see. Is there a fan infront of the aluminum cage there? Hard to see... lol

Wow... what a strange design... Dell engineering I guess lol. So, between your hard drives and optical drives, is there room to mount, or ability to mount a 120mm fan there to draw fresh air in? It looks like your whole system only has the 1 fan on the rad to exhaust which, I hope I am not alone here, I feel is completely inadequate to run an SLI setup, even with blower coolers. I think you need to figure out a couple more intake spots. 

-edit with additional thoughts-
    I think what is going on here is that you have a huge dead spot at the bottom of your case. Your CPU cooler, if it really is the only fan. is drawing thru the top of your case thru the openings there, and very little air is circulating towards the bottom of your case. Also known as the path of least resistance... So in this instance, yes a blower style cooler could help your cards since it helps to draft air from above downwards and into your cards and out of the case. However as I said above, if you can add an additional 120mm fan to your system to direct outside air towards your cards, i'd suspect your temps to drop massively. It looks like a deadspot issue to me, and your cards are sitting right in the middle of it.
    post edited by dwoodward - 2017/03/12 20:36:10

Core i9-9900k | ROG Maximus XI Hero | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | 970 Evo NVMe | GTX 1070 Ti SC Black
    DamianSicks
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/13 08:13:30 (permalink)
    There may be 2 fans in the very front that are not visible in the pic drawing in air and i know also there is some fans up on the very top of the case so i mean you may be right but there is def cool air coming in. I really think the design was optimized (with the doors) to expell the hot air from blower fans more effectively. Also when all the plastic doors are on it makes a sort of channel for the cold air directed at the gpus. I will give the fan idea a try but im just afraid of chancing it and end up ruining 1 or both of the cards and being even worse off then i am now.

The ideal situation aside from trading the the 2 970's for 2 with blowers would be to just get 1- 1070 and bypass the whole SLI deal but selling the 2 and saving up would leave me without a working PC for WAY too long :/
    If the extra fan doesn't work im out of options
    dwoodward
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/13 21:11:59 (permalink)
    I guess I am confused what you refer to when you say "doors" and what not lol. Can you just remove them completely and not use them?

DamianSicks
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/13 23:45:48 (permalink)
    Its just a plastic cover that has hinges and encloses and surrounds most of the 2 gpus. Yes I can remove them as I did in the pic but I was trying to say that the plastic panels and door direct the cool air right to the gpus so without them the cool air has a harder time reaching the gpus to cool them effectively. Without the door and panels, as you see in the pic, it just leaves all that open space making it harder to have that cool air reach the gpu
    dwoodward
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/14 05:34:50 (permalink)
    If it's encasing the cards, that's a huge problem and likely a big contributing factor to your issues. Your cards do not exhaust out the back like your old cards. You're creating a huge deadzone around your cards.

DamianSicks
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/15 22:16:04 (permalink)
    No, sorry but that can't be because I never put the door back on when I installed both 970's. It was running without the door and other panels in the case because I had to remove it in order to plug in the power cords and the door doesn't fit. I believe the older cards power plugged into the rear of the card, these ones have the plugs on the side.
    DamianSicks
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/15 22:35:25 (permalink)
    This is what I'm saying, every avenue leads to a dead end. I will try the 120mm fan you proposed but if that doesn't work then I'm out of options. I wish EVGA could just switch them. I'm not looking to swindle anyone, I just want the same cards of equal value with blower fans, they already have my money so it's not like they lose. At this point I would even pay a fee to send them in and have them replace the fans because I'm sure the RMA department has a few spares somewhere. This would be a perfect opportunity for a company like EVGA to go a little beyond the call of duty to show customers they are valued. One of the most expensive investments you could spend on a PC is the GPU and I chose their company not once but TWICE and would continue to do so in the future and recommend them to everyone else if I could get a little human empathy from the company. It's a unique situation that could easily be remedied and neither party has to lose. Im hanging on with a 2009 PC so it's obvious I don't have the financial freedom to just go get something new....c'mon guys, $800 invested in your company should get me a little more help then a link to the "upgrade program".
    dwoodward
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Will EVGA trade my 2 gtx 970 w/ top fans for 2 with blower fans? 2017/03/18 10:50:34 (permalink)
    I suggest calling EVGA during business hours and talking to them. Tell them you've done trouble shooting in the forums with users and just ask if you can swap to blower coolers over the phone. 

Their policy doesn't allow what you are asking, but you never know. EVGA is well known to help people in unique situations in ways that are out of the norm of what their policies say they'll do. I personally don't see your request to be over the top, but in the end it is entirely their decision. 

I personally hope EVGA goes with the swap, I can't say for sure what's going on with your case to exhibit such a huge variance in temps, but I think all of us that build our own can agree that we've at one point in time or another came across a unique problem that doesn't make any sense.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile