EVGA

Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CyrusTheGreat
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/07/27 11:15:09 (permalink)
Hello - I am very curious as to why the 2070 super stock is being so restrictive?

I understand that it's well-known that it's the best "bang-for-your-buck" of the new releases overall and that artificial shortages will help ensure you don't have a bunch of stock of the other two to sit on, but what about the people who have standing pre-orders? Why are these taking so long to get the stock to the store to be fulfilled?

Not sure I understand - ordered almost a week ago from an authorized retailer (B&H Photo) and still no sign of stock/my order being fulfilled anywhere.

Can someone please advise? I currently have your 970 SSC and I never had any problems like this obtaining it when it was new.

Thanks!
post edited by CyrusTheGreat - 2019/07/27 11:21:40

46 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 11:33:19 (permalink)
    I see 3 In Stock ATM https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+20+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+2070
    But you need to ask (B&H Photo) this question being your bought it from them.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/07/27 11:36:12

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 11:34:38 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    I see 3 In Stock ATM

Correct - those are the non-super variant which are being discontinued because the 2060 super outperforms them.

The 2070 super stock is my concern. And, no, I wouldn't ask B&H Photo about that - if they have none in stock, it's because the distributor (EVGA) has not shipped them.

Regards,
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 11:35:43 (permalink)
    Oops! https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+20+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+2070+Super
    High Demand is why, it has been this way for almost 3 years now. Mining.

CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 11:40:18 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Oops!
    High Demand is why.

Lots of things are in high-demand. That's honestly not an excuse for a second-wave stock of technology that is not even the most recent release.

I personally think it's because the 2080 super is lackluster in terms of value per dollar and the 2060 super is not enough of an upgrade to justify buying that over the 2070 super for not much more.

It isn't the consumers fault that this card was given the wrong price-point since it's value per dollar will sway those interested in the 2060/2080 super. This is getting a little ridiculous in my opinion and it's not the consumers responsibility to ensure the distributor's stock evens out by artificial manipulation and exploitation of the average person's impatience.
    post edited by CyrusTheGreat - 2019/07/27 11:43:19
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 11:44:22 (permalink)
    Best to bring the Pricing up with NVIDIA and also the low production the GPUs that are give to Makers like EVGA and Others.
    EVGA after all is not a big Company like IBM or Lockheed Martin.

CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 11:50:33 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Best to bring the Pricing up with NVIDIA and also the low production the GPUs that are give to Makers like EVGA and Others.

Nvidia doesn't supply the cards - they make reference cards and that's really it. They supply the chips which are made on an assembly line in China by the thousands. The cooler and pretty much everything else, including drivers and other software are made by EVGA.

I find it very difficult to believe that the only issue is the chip (but yet they had enough chips to roll out the 2080 super) - this is all being driven by corporate panic that they may end up with a bunch of overstock on the 2060/2080 supers and I am very disappointed in this experience with EVGA who I had great experiences with in the past. I will re-iterate, I was able to get a 970 SSC with ease when it was the hot item of the time.

Guess not so much anymore.
    post edited by CyrusTheGreat - 2019/07/27 11:53:24
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 11:58:56 (permalink)
    I suggest you contact B&H and ask them the following questions:
    1) When do they expect to have the EVGA 2070 Super in stock?
    2) What sort of business partnership do they have with EVGA?
    3) Did EVGA promise to deliver the 2070 Super stock to B&H by a certain date?  If so, what is that date?
    4) Did B&H promise to fulfill the 2070 Super pre-orders to its customers by a certain date?  If so, what is that date?

You need to use the proper communication channels.  You ordered from B&H, not EVGA.

bcavnaugh

The part bolded, absolute nonsense.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:01:46 (permalink)
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh

Nvidia doesn't supply the cards - they make reference cards and that's really it. They supply the chips which are made on an assembly line in China by the thousands. The cooler and pretty much everything else, including drivers and other software are made by EVGA.

I find it very difficult to believe that the only issue is the chip (but yet they had enough chips to roll out the 2080 super) - this is all being driven by corporate panic that they may end up with a bunch of overstock on the 2060/2080 supers and I am very disappointed in this experience with EVGA who I had great experiences with in the past. I will re-iterate, I was able to get a 970 SSC with ease when it was the hot item of the time.

Guess not so much anymore.

If you look at the history of new graphics cards being rolled out over the past 5 years you'll see that at the initial time of sale stock was limited or sold out quickly. I'm sure with time stock can improve. That relates to all major graphics card manufacturers and not just EVGA. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:01:55 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    3) Did EVGA promise to deliver the 2070 Super stock to B&H by a certain date?  If so, what is that date?
    4) Did B&H promise to fulfill the 2070 Super pre-orders to its customers by a certain date?  If so, what is that date?

You need to use the proper communication channels.  You ordered from B&H, not EVGA.

bcavnaugh

Yea but don't miners use different graphics cards than we do for gaming? Atleast, that's what I thought anyway.

Scalpers too - go on Amazon and you'll be able to get one for $200 over MSRP if you can't wait.

And yet, the loyal customers are the only ones who lose and these companies do nothing about it (and in fact, embrace it on many occasions such as this where it most likely will have a financial benefit to them as well).
    CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:04:28 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

bcavnaugh

Hi - answers to your questions:

1) When do they expect to have the EVGA 2070 Super in stock? - they do not know because EVGA has not advised them of when. I already asked.
    2) What sort of business partnership do they have with EVGA? - they are an authorized retailer - if that's not the closest it can be, I am not sure what is.
    3) Did EVGA promise to deliver the 2070 Super stock to B&H by a certain date?  If so, what is that date? - See # 1
    4) Did B&H promise to fulfill the 2070 Super pre-orders to its customers by a certain date?  If so, what is that date? - See # 1
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:05:50 (permalink)
    CyrusTheGreat
    Yea but don't miners use different graphics cards than we do for gaming? Atleast, that's what I thought anyway.

Scalpers too - go on Amazon and you'll be able to get one for $200 over MSRP if you can't wait.

And yet, the loyal customers are the only ones who lose and these companies do nothing about it (and in fact, embrace it on many occasions such as this where it most likely will have a financial benefit to them as well).

Nope for the most part they use the same.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/07/27 12:09:38

CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:07:52 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat

Hmm - interesting. Well yea that would make sense. But again, they could get around that by limiting the purchases on initial release to 1 per household.

Or... Maybe - and this is just a shot in the dark - they can get their stock situation under control by analyzing the past sales of their biggest ticket items and planning accordingly.

But.... I guess that wouldn't allow them to overhype everyone to boost sales, or force sales of other GPUs that did far worse at launch (since they still cant help themselves from releasing 900 different models everytime to squeeze one extra penny here and there).

But.... thats none of our business I guess. The excuse that this is the status-quo because this is how it has been for the last 5 years and somehow, no one learned anything from it is simply not valid.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:09:53 (permalink)
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat

Hmm - interesting. Well yea that would make sense. But again, they could get around that by limiting the purchases on initial release to 1 per household.

Or... Maybe - and this is just a shot in the dark - they can get their stock situation under control by analyzing the past sales of their biggest ticket items and planning accordingly.

But.... I guess that wouldn't allow them to overhype everyone to boost sales, or force sales of other GPUs that did far worse at launch.

But.... thats none of our business I guess. The excuse that this is the status-quo because this is how it has been for the last 5 years and somehow, no one learned anything from it is simply not valid.

Also;
    "including drivers and other software are made by EVGA." No the Driver come from NVIDIA NOT EVGA
    NIVDIA Supplies EVGA with The GPU Die and without the GPU Die you cannot make a Graphics Card.

You Mean 2 per household.....

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:11:27 (permalink)
    CyrusTheGreat
    ty_ger07

bcavnaugh

It's nonsense.  Not ever worth speculating or commenting on.  The GPU mining boom crashed 1.5 years ago.

Again, totally irrelevant to this conversation.

Are you a loyal B&H customer?  If so, why?  If they don't make you happy, why are you loyal to them?

B&H took your money, called it a pre-order, and now you just have to wait until they either fulfill your pre-order, or you cancel your pre-order and get your money back from B&H.

Give me the terms of your B&H pre-order.  Any guarantee in the terms and conditions of the B&H pre-order which justifies you being impatient?  Any other guarantees or disclosures about their relationship with EVGA and stock replenishment contracts?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/07/27 12:13:39

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:11:45 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat

But.... I guess that wouldn't allow them to overhype everyone to boost sales, or force sales of other GPUs that did far worse at launch.

Also;
    "including drivers and other software are made by EVGA." No the Driver come from NVIDIA NOT EVGA
    NIVDIA Supplies EVGA with The GPU Die and without the GPU Die you cannot make a Graphics Card.

Yes - you are correct and I stand corrected regarding the driver - that does indeed come from NVIDIA.

However, the card itself gets manufactured by EVGA (with their own fans, custom cooler, any custom software they themselves may include, etc). I simply cannot accept that the chip has a lack of shortage when they had plenty to produce the 2080 super while leaving everyone with 2070 super pre-orders left to wait even longer.

Thats simply bad business.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:12:55 (permalink)
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat

Also;

Yes - you are correct and I stand corrected regarding the driver - that does indeed come from NVIDIA.

However, the card itself gets manufactured by EVGA (with their own fans, custom cooler, any custom software they themselves may include, etc). I simply cannot accept that the chip has a lack of shortage when they had plenty to produce the 2080 super while leaving everyone with 2070 super pre-orders left to wait even longer.

EVGA Still needs the GPU Die from NVIDIA.

CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:13:58 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    CyrusTheGreat
    ty_ger07

bcavnaugh

It's nonsense.  Not ever worth speculating or commenting on.  The GPU mining boom crashed 1.5 years ago.

Again, totally irrelevant to this conversation.

Are you a loyal B&H customer?  If so, why?  If they don't make you happy, why are you loyal to them?

B&H took your money, called it a pre-order, and now you just have to wait until they either fulfill your pre-order, or you cancel your pre-order and get your money back from B&H.

Give me the terms of your B&H pre-order.  What was B&H's pre-order expected delivery date?  Any guarantee in the terms and conditions of the B&H pre-order that the expected delivery date is anything more than just an estimate with zero compensation if that delivery date is not upheld?  Any other guarantees or disclosures about their relationship with EVGA and stock replenishment contracts?

It is not my responsibility to determine anything regarding their partnership, actually. when you list them on your website (see below) as one of very few authorized resellers, that speaks for itself.

I am not here to argue with you, honestly - seems that's all you're looking for and if so, please be on your way. The retailer does not control the stock. The Distributor does.

Regards,

"https://www.evga.com/Products/WhereToBuy.aspx"

post edited by CyrusTheGreat - 2019/07/27 12:16:32
    CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:16:07 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat

Also;

Which would have been available long ago within the initial release. EVGA was able to get all the 2080 supers out before ever restocking the 2070 supers to an acceptable level.

Now, ask yourself this - if you weren't afraid that your new card would be out-sold by the mid-range card you over-beefed and under-priced (not our fault), you'd re-stock both at the same time.
    post edited by CyrusTheGreat - 2019/07/27 12:19:40
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:20:09 (permalink)
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat

Also;

Which would have been available long ago within the initial release. EVGA was able to get all the 2080 supers out before ever restocking the 2070 supers to an acceptable level.

I have seen the 2070 Super In Stock and Out of Stock and back In Stock at lest 2 times.
    But really keeping track of them.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/07/27 12:24:18

CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:21:53 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat
    bcavnaugh
    CyrusTheGreat

Also;

I have seen the 2070 Super In Stock and Out of Stock and back In Stock at lest 2 times.

For 4 seconds maybe because they're probably re-listing the ones that never reached their purchaser (undeliverable, cancelled orders, returned, unopened purchases, etc).

They have yet to have a single time where there was a meaningful amount of stock available. And again, they somehow were quite capable of rolling out the $200 more expensive card though before ever trying to re-stock the 2070 supers to a meaningful level...
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:22:00 (permalink)
    CyrusTheGreat

It is not my responsibility to determine anything regarding their partnership, actually. when you list them on your website (see below) as one of very few authorized resellers, that speaks for itself.

I am not here to argue with you, honestly - seems that's all you're looking for and if so, please be on your way. The retailer does not control the stock. The Distributor does.

Regards,

It is your responsibility when making a pre-order.

Unfortunately, I see no evidence that EVGA is required to provide stock to any of its authorized retailers within any period of time.

If you choose to pre-order from any source, the guarantees in the terms of the pre-order -- and your local laws -- are the only thing which determines when and whether you receive the product you pre-ordered.

This seems to be a recurring complaint over the years.

CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:22:56 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    CyrusTheGreat

Regards,

It is your responsibility when making a pre-order.

Unfortunately, I see no evidence that EVGA is required to provide stock to any of its authorized retailers within any period of time.

If you choose to pre-order from any source, the guarantees in the terms of the pre-order and your local laws, are the only thing which determines when and whether you receive the product you pre-ordered or don't receive the product you pre-ordered.

This seems to be a recurring complaint over the years.

Have a good day, friend. I am not here to argue. I have spoken my side. You can believe whatever you feel is appropriate. If a company doesn't even provide an estimated shipment date for pre-orders (which they would have had to authorize the company to take a number of - it's no longer available for pre-order on their site any longer) then that is their trip-up, not the retailers.

Regards,
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:24:42 (permalink)
    Good luck!

If you see the 2070 Super available for any meaningful duration and quantity elsewhere, I would encourage you to cancel your B&H pre-order, get your money back, and order from that "elsewhere".

CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:26:30 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Good luck!

If you see the 2070 Super available for any meaningful duration and quantity elsewhere, I would encourage you to cancel your B&H pre-order, get your money back, and order from that "elsewhere".

Thanks! Seems only Gigabyte can get their act together these days. I may end up just doing that to be honest. I know their support is lack-luster, but unless the card lights itself on fire or has any form of hardware failure, I can pretty much handle any troubleshooting.

I also never overclock anything, so nothing to worry about there either. Who knows. Got thinking to do.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:36:24 (permalink)
    CyrusTheGreat

Thanks! Seems only Gigabyte can get their act together these days. I may end up just doing that to be honest. I know their support is lack-luster, but unless the card lights itself on fire or has any form of hardware failure, I can pretty much handle any troubleshooting.

I think some companies that usually have high demand like EVGA, don't always release the time period when a stock arrives so that you don't tip off scalpers.

Also, this is pretty much the norm around here since the last few releases since EVGA is sought after versus it's competitors.  You'll always find stock with their competitors but not as much with EVGA well cause they're #1 and I'm not saying this to be a fanboy.

If you want a GPU now, go with the competitors and call it a day or be patient and wait knowing you're getting a EVGA product.  

Either way, at the end of the day you have the last say.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 12:43:22 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    CyrusTheGreat

I think some companies that usually have high demand like EVGA, don't always release the time period when a stock arrives so that you don't tip off scalpers.

Also, this is pretty much the norm around here since the last few releases since EVGA is sought after versus it's competitors.  You'll always find stock with their competitors but not as much with EVGA well cause they're #1 and I'm not saying this to be a fanboy.

If you want a GPU now, go with the competitors and call it a day or be patient and wait knowing you're getting a EVGA product.  

Either way, at the end of the day you have the last say.

I totally agree with your summation. My issue is that this type of thing is done intentionally. EVGA and the other highly popular brands are not new companies - they can look at years of historical data and estimate how many cards they will most likely sell at launch. They artificially limit initial stock to increase hype and balance stock-flow of other under-performing cards that don't sell as well at initial launch and push impatient people into buying their other, more expensive available products. This just isn't an acceptable business practice to say that it's cool to force your consumers to either wait an indefinite period of time, or pay more.

I may give it a few more days because I do like the products EVGA puts out, but I have used competitors cards in the past and have done fine.

If EVGA is really #1, then the status-quo wouldn't be acceptable. They may release a good product, but the #1 also ensures the product reaches consumers in a timely fashion.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 14:07:16 (permalink)
    The biggest reason for a shortage is for months people waited for the Super cards so all at once when people finally saw the Super cards they rushed out and bought the whole stock. Just as they did when the 20 series launched then like a month later you could buy one with ease. Same thing will happen with the new cards give it a bit of time and they will be in stock. As for buying another brand I would read reviews since as you said 3rd parties do make different coolers for the cards and some are not as good as EVGA. I don't want to sound like other brands are junk but some really don't make quality coolers. As I said though the reviews will tell you what is good and what isn't. If a product is getting bad reviews of the cooler they put on the card that might be why they have the Super in stock while other brands don't.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

CyrusTheGreat
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 15:27:18 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    The biggest reason for a shortage is for months people waited for the Super cards so all at once when people finally saw the Super cards they rushed out and bought the whole stock. Just as they did when the 20 series launched then like a month later you could buy one with ease. Same thing will happen with the new cards give it a bit of time and they will be in stock. As for buying another brand I would read reviews since as you said 3rd parties do make different coolers for the cards and some are not as good as EVGA. I don't want to sound like other brands are junk but some really don't make quality coolers. As I said though the reviews will tell you what is good and what isn't. If a product is getting bad reviews of the cooler they put on the card that might be why they have the Super in stock while other brands don't.

Right - and as you've confirmed, this has been a trend and one that could be prepared for. Like I said before - the #1 would be able to not only create the best product, but get it in the hands of consumers in a timely fashion. A pre-order still unfulfilled after 1 week when the card was released a month ago, because the authorized retailer has no clue when you plan to ship them the next batch is simply not #1 performance by any standards of the metric.

But it was more important to squeeze out the 2080 supers and push those more expensive cards (with far less value per dollar than the 2070 supers - every major review outlet has confirmed this) than to restock the 2070 supers for your customers who prefer that card because it generates EVGA less profit.

I do appreciate your response, but please don't patronize customers. This is something that could easily be forcasted. The culture in the GPU industry of limiting stock of popular GPUs in order to boost hype and balance sales from impatient customers of the less popular, under-performing ones to prevent stock of the 900 unnecessary variants of each GPU from collecting dust is not acceptable.

Why not work on getting your stock situation under control before releasing your product rather than trying to justify to your customers why they should simply wait while you keep releasing new, more expensive items in the meantime?
    post edited by CyrusTheGreat - 2019/07/27 15:30:58
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Why is the 2070 Super stock being limited so much? 2019/07/27 16:00:41 (permalink)
    All you really are doing is telling Members here on the Forum. Being a Member to Member Forum.
    We are the same as you a Member here on the Forum Not an EVGA Employee and this applies to EVGA Forum Moderator's as well.
    You are not a Customer here on the Forum Only a Member here on the Forum like me.
    Only Forum Members Username that start with EVGA are EVGA Employees.

Best to bring up the lack of Inventory with EVGA Directly

Contact Us

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/07/27 16:11:59

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile