EVGA

Why is that thing happening? ( GTX 980TI )

Author
ivan.kalashnjuk
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/09/18 13:51:01 (permalink)
Hi everyone! 
The fact that while playing a game ( for example the witcher ) with VSYNC turned on, the gpu clock runs its max value. I seriously don't understand why while 60 FPS, GPU load about 70% its gpu clock has the max value. But sometimes when I restart the game, everything is OK and GPU Clock flactuates from 800 to 1100 and more, I mean the game understands what gpu clock is needed for its best playing. 
So, I think the trouble lies in the game, but please if you could, explain it to me, why is it happening? By the way, having this difference in the clock, we can drop the temperature up to 10 degrees. 

Hello from Ukraine. 
Thanks a lot in advance!

5 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Why is that thing happening? ( GTX 980TI ) 2017/09/18 14:24:20 (permalink)
    GPU Boost 2.0 is the reason.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Why is that thing happening? ( GTX 980TI ) 2017/09/19 06:55:03 (permalink)
    like sajin says  that's bios controlled under NVidia gpu boost   and that program may not utilize  gpu processing  out side of just displaying something  

like some games are more to CPU then GPU  optimized , and may not ever need to use full load the GPU  . 

like I play far cry [1]   my 980 ti card never hardly gets over 1000 MHz   it may render something to bump it up for a moment , but 98% of the game never sees over 1000 .   but today having a stronger cpu then back when the game came out   using a fps counter it strolls  300 -900 fps  with all on max settings with ease  . 

if its still offered  with the free basic download  you may get this  ?  see if it passes   if so your good to go  and just how the games / programs utilize / optimized  the GPU  processing ?

https://imgur.com/Dh8BVdP

loking around like from here I see this said a few times on this map?

'before starting and went to Novigrad'  ?  Novigrad  seems to do something in some way ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/6697gb/low_gpu_usage_in_witcher_3/?st=j7rnlvyu&sh=3819c0e9

using novagrad map  in this as well ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04GBtHKpwCI

old witcher ?    [maybe like I said on old far cry? ]

http://www.overclock.net/t/650779/low-gpu-usage-on-the-witcher

https://forums.evga.com/GTX-580-3GB-very-low-GPU-usage-in-The-Witcher-EE-Possible-Bad-GPU-m1449804.aspx

like I say try to get and run that stress test from firestrike   and see   if it passes that  I would think the card and all were working good  and maybe just  game/ program optimization  just don't need full blast from the cards of today 
    post edited by Dr.Death - 2017/09/19 07:00:28
    ivan.kalashnjuk
    • Total Posts : 19
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Why is that thing happening? ( GTX 980TI ) 2017/09/19 07:04:10 (permalink)
    Dr.Death
    like sajin says  that's bios controlled under NVidia gpu boost   and that program may not utilize  gpu processing  out side of just displaying something  

like some games are more to CPU then GPU  optimized , and may not ever need to use full load the GPU  . 

like I play far cry [1]   my 980 ti card never hardly gets over 1000 MHz   it may render something to bump it up for a moment , but 98% of the game never sees over 1000 .   but today having a stronger cpu then back when the game came out   using a fps counter it strolls  300 -900 fps  with all on max settings with ease  . 

if its still offered  with the free basic download  you may get this  ?  see if it passes   if so your good to go  and just how the games / programs utilize / optimized  the GPU  processing ?

loking around like from here I see this said a few times on this map?

'before starting and went to Novigrad'  ?  Novigrad  seems to do something in some way ?

using novagrad map  in this as well ?

old witcher ?    [maybe like I said on old far cry? ]

like I say try to get and run that stress test from firestrike   and see   if it passes that  I would think the card and all were working good  and maybe just  game/ program optimization  just don't need full blast from the cards of today 

I meant the Witcher 3 of course. 
    The location is The White Orchard. 
    But the game runs OK when GPU clock is about 800 and more. ( till max value of one ) 
    I don't understand why sometimes it runs with max value of GPU clock, a medial cpu usage is about 60%. It is silly to use GPU max clock if it is needed to use just 1000 mhz, for example. As I got, this is a GPU Boost 2.0 technology.
    Perhaps the trouble lies in having a google chrome opened during playing the game. 
    Thanks a lot for your reply! 
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: Why is that thing happening? ( GTX 980TI ) 2017/09/19 12:11:52 (permalink)
    ya, that's what you see with far cry as well  ,   it may max things to 100%  but the average  is like   33% on the 980 ti with a 1112 clock   and core on the cpu  [0-1-2-3 ]  average is around  61/65% 

I was just running that game   with hwinfo64 in the background   to look at all that  .   like I say even at that the game fly's  smooth as slik   way better then when it was released and I was running a amd socket A barton and a apg x8  6800 card for sure  .

thing is to google up like issues with that game like I did for your example link and see whats said 

like best answer here ?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3384926/witcher-low-gpu-usage-gtx-1060.html

hard to say it maybe a cpu bottle neck  but at 60%  don't seem like it .

throttling ?  well  my card averages 34c and cpu 45c   so for me I don't see that  a factor  . in the end it maybe just the behavior of wicher 3     [I don't have that game or I would test it on my 980ti ]

maybe the game ?

like here this is my card after 3 loops  of valley bench and gpu-z render test  at the same time   , holds it right up to full  all day   , so you could say nothing wrong hardware wise 

https://imgur.com/CpI1F2t

so like for me with far cry its just that game aint utilizing  this newer more powerfull hardware   but still runs the game a up to 900 fps   [average500fps]

maybe you could reinstall the game to see if something was up ?   I guess that game is a steam type rental  not a real full retail all on the disk game that you fully have and  own  

cause like steam yopu did agree to them having full control of your computer

'' you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet. 
    For reasons that include, without limitation, system security, stability, and multiplayer interoperability, Steam may need to automatically update, pre-load, create new versions of or otherwise enhance the Content and Services and accordingly, the system requirements to use the Content and Services may change over time. You consent to such automatic updating.''

the real catch  '' without limitation '' ????  ''system security'' ????     i'll pass...    I don't need to game that bad

thing is you don't know what they do or did everytime you go on line

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: Why is that thing happening? ( GTX 980TI ) 2017/09/19 13:18:45 (permalink)
    just to add have you looked at any guides ?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1952-complete-witcher-3-graphics-optimization-guide-and-performance#!/ccomment-page=2

also check out the wicher 3 side articles they have links to   as well  

maybe some insight and tweaks  to help from one of the articles 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile