Hot!Why We Fold -- Daily Journal

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Author
drougnor
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2481
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 15
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/01/06 02:39:00 (permalink)
I'll be sniping in a post when I've had a chance to get one clearly written up.  Big development has just happened in one of the major reasons that I fold.  And it's good news, folks! 

**Edit**  Here's the sniped entry.  Enjoy!  **/end edit**

http://blogs.discovermaga...rew-wakefield-a-fraud/

Please go read this article.  Follow the links included (Yes, Phil Plait, the author, links to his own articles a lot, but he ALSO externally links extensively, as he's a scientist and a damned GOOD one.  That's what they do!)

I'm going to avoid summarizing the article here (partially to ensure I don't screw details up, mostly to make sure YOU go read it!  YES!! It's that important!), but I will explain why this is good news to me and my personal reasons for folding:

I was born on the low end of the autism/asperger's spectrum.  'High functioning' is one of the descriptions I've discovered for it.  I've been called many disparaging names through life because of the social difficulties the condition carries.  Whatever the label of the day I've run into, the only thing I knew for CERTAIN is that it was simply who I was.

There is nothing wrong with me, yet others who have more advanced, and what some would call debilitating, variations on the condition are called diseased.

There are also a group of folks who believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that this 'disease' can be 'cured'.  I'm looking at YOU, Jenny McCarthy!  Ok, so maybe it's partially recreational, too, but I'm still looking!

Whatever your experience with the autism spectrum, please keep in mind that what makes those of us who walk it's WIDE range of effects who we are, those personality quirks that make some aspects of life a bit more difficult on the low end, nearly impossible without outside help on the high end . . . It's a condition, not a disease.  This isn't something that's 'catching'.  We only spread it genetically.  Most importantly, we aren't caused by a freaking VACCINE!  And we can't be 'cured', Jenny.  Your son, if he actually had anything wrong with him, it wasn't Autism.  Not if you 'cured' him.

So, how does this long rant relate to folding?

Well, the reasearch I have read upon discovering that my patterns in life had a name or two beyond the vulgar titles I've carried (Sometimes with pride, I'll admit!), currently, we can't find an external cause.  This leads to Protein misfolding as a major likely cause.

I don't see those of us who carry the condition as diseased, like I said, but there are many who just simply wouldn't be able to survive without help, and sadly, we're seeing our cultures placing less weight on helping as a culture and forcing individuals to rely on the kindness of those who may not be able to afford to GIVE that help all the time.

This means we have a problem, as a global culture.  The only way I forsee there to be less of an issue is for a cause to be discovered so we may be able to work on at least lessening the difficulties of those who have deeply advanced variations of the condition.  Folding@Home represents a great deal hope for that.

Secondarily to the Autism/Aspergers side of this is that we now are facing, as a result of the actions of the man detailed in the article (READ IT!!), a return of several diseases, that by all rights should be EXTINCT!  And not head cold level shake it off crap . . . Infants have died due to the loss of herd immunity.  Folding@Home has made strides in understanding how virii attack our systems, the mechanics behind how they invade the cells . . . This reasearch may one day removed the need for vaccinations altogether! 

So, survival of the species and giving EVERYONE a fair shake at life!  Pretty good reasons, I'd say.

Fire up the boxen, if you haven't yet!  Somewhere, someone needs YOUR help!!
post edited by drougnor - 2011/01/06 04:55:58

mflanaga
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3057
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/01/06 05:10:29 (permalink)
Sorry for the late posting everybody. I was supposed to do this yesterday, but got
sidetracked.
Yesterday marked the first anniversary of my good friend Charlie's death due to cancer. he
was a true blue kind of friend. A straight shooter. I (fortunately) never had anyone in my
family go through anything like that. My wife's family has, and I was witness to that as
well.
I started folding when I realized that I can do something to put an end to this kind of
suffering by simply donating some time, hardware, and electricity. Of course I never
realized the "addictive" aspect to all of this, so now my "donation" to the cause has gone
to levels I never expected it to.
Though it's too late to help my friend, I firmly believe that all of our folding efforts
will someday lead to treatments and cures for not only cancer but other types of diseases.

That's my story as to why I fold. After reading the previous postings on this thread, I
feel extremely blessed to not have gone through the terrible times what some of you have.
Every time I look at the electric bill, I wonder if I can continue to fold at the level
that I do. I'm not "poor" but I do have mortgage, toys, etc. Then I re-read this thread, and
find a way to pay the bill. One less toy won't kill me. These diseases may someday.
Fold ON!
Default or Death!!

Mike

warthorn
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3292
  • Ribbons : 44
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/01/06 17:35:46 (permalink)
Hey guys --

Just to let you know, haven't had internet for awhile. Thanks for keeping the posts going.

At this point, either a MOD could start posting up the daily entries on the front page, or I'll just leave a note stating to check the most recent pages.

It will be impossible for me to update this thread via satellite internet. If you need more info, find it here.

Have a great winter and spring everybody, looking forward to catching up on your stories from the other side of the Earth in May! and gettin back into the Fold over the summer, perhaps...
dpb1951
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 429
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/01/11 02:38:46 (permalink)
Well here goes my friends ... I just finished 2 ea. 2 week stints in the hospital here that present several reasons for me folding ...I had been admitted early in December for serious pneumonia only to find out that my non-hodgins lymphoma was raising its head again ... they did a CT scan and saw the pockets of pneumonia but there was "something" that couldn't be seen to clear behind them ... as they were performing a bronchyoscope to get samples .. the old ticker began to afibrillate (?) at which point they had to come out ... they "treated" the pneumonia symptoms for several more days and discharged me ... right after New Years I woke up and could not breathe (scared the crap out of me) ... went back to hospital to find there were several more pneumonia "pockets" in the right lung ... another CT scan showed the growth again but until they stabilized me and my pneumonia .. they would not attempt any procedures on cancer ... well they put in stint in my arm to administer antibiotics for several more weeks while I was at home ... this is what I'm going through now ... I'm Folding for the cures that my children and grandchildren and all of you never have to go through this ... I did the Chemo several years ago to no avail ... My Folding stopped for about a month there while I was gone but 4 days ago I was back on the air ... Worth it ? Heck yeah ... With the next WU .. You never can tell .. Oh Yeah ... Now back to the oxygen ... imagine being "tied" to the oxygen bottle ... dpb1951
post edited by dpb1951 - 2011/01/11 02:47:29

AcesofDeath7
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2972
  • Ribbons : 10
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/01/11 06:22:27 (permalink)
Very inspiring, dpb1951!  A very compelling reason to Fold.  Added you to my prayer list.

Adam2013
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1275
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/01/11 19:05:36 (permalink)
Hope you pull through! Nice to hear another real-life story of someone who folding can help

[19:42:38] emepror:well i've been trying to "massage" it
Heatware || If you think someone else needs a BR, please PM a Mod
PSU Questions? || Fold on a Fermi? || Clean W7 install from Upgrade?
AcesofDeath7
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/01/14 19:53:28 (permalink)
Just a little inspiration for Folding!

stspence
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 681
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/01/15 17:29:59 (permalink)
good luck dpb1951! if folding stops even one disease in the future, it is worth it. We're in it with you, in it to win!

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25345
  • Ribbons : 108
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/01/28 17:12:40 (permalink)
Well I was supposed to write here yesterday... But every-time I tired... I could not... Yesterday was our one year anniversary date of loosing our 21 year old son... RIP...

But I do want to say. We fold as a family for more than just personal reasons. Our family is like most nowadays. We have lost many to one form of cancer/diseases or another.

In the end... We want to help others so they do not have to suffer like those that have in the past.

Just like the countless Military families, Scientist and researchers have done for us the past few hundreds of years. It is all about giving for our future. Regardless of the politics and "Wants" of those in power.

We are the human race blessed with not just life, but the ability to know right from wrong without training or predigest...That is more powerful than anything else, other than mother-nature, on earth.

AB
post edited by Afterburner - 2011/01/28 17:14:15

AcesofDeath7
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/01/29 19:08:09 (permalink)
+1!  

Straight from your heart to mine!

Adam2013
FTW Member
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/01/30 09:23:44 (permalink)
AB, I didn't post much when that happened, but to show that you can still post about that day says a great deal about who you are. And in a good way. Thank you for sharing!

KemTech
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 210
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/02/04 04:45:51 (permalink)
I have been trying to type something for the last 10 mins but could not find a right way to put it. Here goe's

Gabriel my son was born on the 17th of December 2009, I could not believe it, seemed so surreal that I am now a farther too such a beautiful boy (looks from his mother).

At about 7-8 months there was something wrong, he stopped walking and lost most of his movement. We took him to the hospital to see what was wrong. There was a mass in his head that was causing pressure and explains his difficulties, he never complained about anything. Always surrounded  by his friends he brought joy to everyone.

Later we found that this mass was Grade II tumor which is attached to his brain in such a way that they could only remove 70%. However due to the type of tumor, it has the potential of coming back. 

On his birthday after recovering from his 2nd operation he gave us such a wonderful day playing laughing squeaking, pretty sure he could communicate to dolphins. 

The 24th of December he died only 1 week after his first birthday.

This is why i fold.

Thanks

KemTech

(i7-3770K 3.9 Corsair Vengeance 16 GB EVGA Z77-FTW 3x EVGA 670 SLi AX1200) (new)
i7-2600K 4.5 Corsair Vengeance 8 GB GigaByte P67-UD7-a 1x GT 640 AX650
i7-875K 4.2 Corsair Dominators 8 GB EVGA P55-SLi EVGA 560ti 2 GB HX850
tank1023
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5304
  • Ribbons : 16
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/02/07 07:06:03 (permalink)
Wow KemTech, I'm so very sorry. That must be hard for you to share. Tears in my eyes :-(

Folding whatever I can :o)     
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67403

stspence
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 681
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/02/07 14:58:37 (permalink)
Thank you for sharing, KemTech. I am sorry for your loss. Blessings to you and your wife/partner. 

tanner2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1728
  • Ribbons : 5
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/02/07 15:18:58 (permalink)
Sorry for your loss KemTech. Tears in my eyes also. Fold on.

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5121
  • Ribbons : 20
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/02/07 15:27:43 (permalink)
Oh man, that story just breaks my heart, but at the same time gives me even more desire/reason to keep on Folding too.  Thank you for sharing what happened with your son and I can't imagine how hard that has been for you and your wife.  I'm so sorry to hear of his passing and will add both of you to my prayers. Folding with you brother...

Rick

warthorn
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3292
  • Ribbons : 44
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/03/20 04:47:13 (permalink)
Hi all. Glad to see some posts. Had hoped to see it alive and well without me though, nobody wants to contribute?

Could a mod with editing powers take over updating the OP?

FYI -- I'm in Vietnam at an internet cafe, my first stop on intarwebs was my good friends at EVGA :)
Nazekanu
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/04/08 04:46:02 (permalink)
Why do I fold? It is my responsibility.
tank1023
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/04/08 05:37:09 (permalink)
Nazekanu

Why do I fold? It is my responsibility.

+1 Welcome to the Forums!!

drougnor
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2481
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/04/09 00:58:22 (permalink)
Why I fold - Drougnor's Birthday Edition

3:45 in the morning on my birthday and I can't sleep thanks to the cold that's got my tonsils feeling like I've gargled broken glass.  Yeah, that's a great way to start the day . . . So, I'll start with saying the many and sundry virii and bacterium that knock us and our ultimately fragile bodies around, they are a good reason to fold.

Primarily, however, and the reason I scheduled today to be my posting day - I fold for my kids.  Today is my birthday, Tuesday was my youngest son's 3rd birthday, and my elder son was born in late July.  They are the most precious things in my life and if I can do something that may prevent their having to deal with some horrid disease within their lifetimes, I HAVE to try.

My understanding of human life, the mechanics of it all, has increased EXPONENTIALLY as a result of having these two in my life, and as a result, my understanding of the fragility of it all has also increased, thus, my understanding of the importance of the research that is being done thanks to the Folding @ Home program. 

So, the long and short of what keeps me checking on my boxes to keep them producing numbers, why I keep copies of the F@H software on hand at work when a machine need some burn-in time on a new CPU, why I spent the time creating a program that I use to generate hourly stats for our contests?  My two sons, Raven and Micah.  Everything else, while VERY important, it all takes a back seat to those two.

4am
4/9/2011
drougnor

mrjonboy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 118
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/04/24 13:40:56 (permalink)
I fold cause I have done so much wrong that if me folding can help someone or perhaps me or my loved ones I'm in. guess I'm tryin to make some sort of amends

E6600 @ 2.40 ghz - 3.20ghz
gtx 260-896mb ddr3 763/1575/1246
mrjonboy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 118
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/04/24 13:42:27 (permalink)
 I believe this is a real good topic

E6600 @ 2.40 ghz - 3.20ghz
gtx 260-896mb ddr3 763/1575/1246
tank1023
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/04/24 15:20:21 (permalink)
Welcome to the team!

Chrome-M-Dragon
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7513
  • Ribbons : 27
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/05/03 03:16:12 (permalink)

I plan on posting this to my FB and as many places as I can, I'm even going to print it out and post it around the college to spread the word my way. I didn't write this for me though i wrote it for all of us. We all have something in this, and anyone here is welcome to use it in any way they desire.

Folding for a Cure

I awaken early in the morning to check out my computer. Good, it's still going strong, video cards are a bit warm, must be getting warmer outside. I'm folding. What's folding? Well it's a cause, it's a way we can all help out, a single goal all computer owners can strive towards. Folding At Home. See, I fold for my friend, Ducky. He has a rare form of cancer who's proper name escapes my busy mind. He has died 6 times in a matter of 4 months but yet he fights on. He's been strong enough and well enough to get online a few times lately. My first time talking to him in over 5 months was just a few weeks ago and I nearly wept. See Shawn is only 26, married with three kids. The youngest born just 5 months ago. I fold for him. Folding is something we can all do. Most of us leave our computers idle, or go for long periods of disuse. But instead you could be looking for a cure. What are you folding? Proteins. What is protein folding? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery. So why should I fold? Protein folding is linked to diseases, such as Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes. If you want to know more visit one of the following sites but start with: http://folding.stanford.edu/ . Other sites to gain help and information are:
http://forums.evga.com/tt.aspx?forumid=69,
http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/chimp_challenge/2011/

There are many teams you can join as well where you can opt into challenges and competitions that sometimes offer prizes to contestants. Or you can fold for yourself. Here is a list of teams that you can browse through: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Stats. You can even find information on how to make your own team. You teams can consist of your Church group, your Book Club friends or even your co-workers, use your imagination. Your team can also just be you.
How much do I have to do? Not much, just what you want. Every tiny little bit helps. You can fold while you sleep, Fold while you clean the house or even fold while you fold laundry.  You don't have to have a top of the line computer to fold either. You can fold on anything from a netbook, a Playstation 3 all the way to that uber leet SR-2 rig. No matter what you have, chances are you can fold. There is plenty of information on the web about folding and it's cause. You can even find out what folding has done. So, who are you folding for? What will drive you to fight for those who are fighting for their lives? Who do you know that has fought the good fight and has either won or lost? Fold for you, fold for a friend, but most important, Fold for a Cure!

Man is capable of as much atrocities as he has imagination.  
People are, well, only human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in America.

_Nite_
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 19183
  • Ribbons : 46
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/05/03 03:21:37 (permalink)
tl;dr

Gaming Rig: Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz - EVGA Z68 SLI - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 - 64GB M4 SSD+1TB HD+2TB SSHD - 8GB GTX 1070 SC Black Edition - Asus Xonar DX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

Chrome-M-Dragon
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/05/03 03:22:14 (permalink)
_Nite_

tl;dr

I hate you :P

People are, well, only human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in America.

_Nite_
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 19183
  • Ribbons : 46
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/05/03 03:22:39 (permalink)
cdragonm

_Nite_

tl;dr

I hate you :P

rofl

Gaming Rig: Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz - EVGA Z68 SLI - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 - 64GB M4 SSD+1TB HD+2TB SSHD - 8GB GTX 1070 SC Black Edition - Asus Xonar DX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

Adam2013
FTW Member
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/05/03 10:15:21 (permalink)
cdragonm

I plan on posting this to my FB and as many places as I can, I'm even going to print it out and post it around the college to spread the word my way. I didn't write this for me though i wrote it for all of us. We all have something in this, and anyone here is welcome to use it in any way they desire.

Folding for a Cure

I awaken early in the morning to check out my computer. Good, it's still going strong, video cards are a bit warm, must be getting warmer outside. I'm folding. What's folding? Well it's a cause, it's a way we can all help out, a single goal all computer owners can strive towards. Folding At Home. See, I fold for my friend, Ducky. He has a rare form of cancer who's proper name escapes my busy mind. He has died 6 times in a matter of 4 months but yet he fights on. He's been strong enough and well enough to get online a few times lately. My first time talking to him in over 5 months was just a few weeks ago and I nearly wept. See Shawn is only 26, married with three kids. The youngest born just 5 months ago. I fold for him. Folding is something we can all do. Most of us leave our computers idle, or go for long periods of disuse. But instead you could be looking for a cure. What are you folding? Proteins. What is protein folding? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery. So why should I fold? Protein folding is linked to diseases, such as Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes. If you want to know more visit one of the following sites but start with: http://folding.stanford.edu/ . Other sites to gain help and information are:
http://forums.evga.com/tt.aspx?forumid=69,
http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/chimp_challenge/2011/

There are many teams you can join as well where you can opt into challenges and competitions that sometimes offer prizes to contestants. Or you can fold for yourself. Here is a list of teams that you can browse through: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Stats. You can even find information on how to make your own team. You teams can consist of your Church group, your Book Club friends or even your co-workers, use your imagination. Your team can also just be you.
How much do I have to do? Not much, just what you want. Every tiny little bit helps. You can fold while you sleep, Fold while you clean the house or even fold while you fold laundry.  You don't have to have a top of the line computer to fold either. You can fold on anything from a netbook, a Playstation 3 all the way to that uber leet SR-2 rig. No matter what you have, chances are you can fold. There is plenty of information on the web about folding and it's cause. You can even find out what folding has done. So, who are you folding for? What will drive you to fight for those who are fighting for their lives? Who do you know that has fought the good fight and has either won or lost? Fold for you, fold for a friend, but most important, Fold for a Cure!

LOL at Nite. Anyway, I'm going to print that out as well. I know it's Finals week, but someone might see this and have the addiction started.

Chrome-M-Dragon
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/05/04 22:09:42 (permalink)
Also I wanted to apologize, I didn't realize this was a take turns forum. It just seemed like the right place to put it.

Max killz
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3827
  • Ribbons : 5
Re:Why We Fold -- Daily Journal 2011/05/18 18:46:55 (permalink)
I fold because.... there are so many reason but its hard to explain...

I was made a cannibal to fix problems like you

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile