EVGA

Who are your favorite comic characters? Comic recommendations as well

Author
TIKsc5149
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/07/30 00:35:28 (permalink)
Wall of text incoming! I am very slowly getting into comic books, so which comic characters stand out to you? My experience almost exclusively DC as very few Marvel concepts interest me; I felt like personally weighing up characters I have come across so far in this thread, to determine what I will buy in the distant future.

I enjoy my limited reading of: Guy Gardner, Larfleeze , Etrigan the Demon, Harley Quinn, Uncle Sam, Human Bomb, Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond), Zoom, Captain Cold, Hawkman (Carter Hall), Batman (Tim Drake) (Bruce Wayne) & Blue Beetle (Ted Kord).

There are others that make my list but my impressions are from animation; I may read about them in the future: Batman (Terry Mcginnis), Miss Martian, Red Hood, Plastic Man, Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm), Arsenal, Captain Atom, Despero, Booster Gold, Power Girl, Lobo, Martian Manhunter, Supergirl, Dr Fate, Amazo, Red Tornado, Mongul, Metal Men, Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes), Reverse FLash (Eobard Thawne), Question (Vic Sage), Felix Faust, Captain Marvel (Billy Batson), Deathstroke, Huntress (Helena Bertinelli) and Icon.

Story arc that I have interest in/started/finished: Infinite Crisis, Brghtest Day, Blackest Night, Injustice, DC Universe Online: Legends & Young Justice.

With the above choices as a reference, could those who are knowledgeable help me decide which characters below are worth reading in the long term? Money is a big issue for me so my criteria to narrow down my list are: strongly written stories, relevant to DC's Rebirth event or future so there will be plenty of content that I can choose to buy and action or emotional scenes that are presented well through good illustration. These are the characters that I am unsure about: Vixen, Mr Freeze, Grifter, Atrocitus, Black Adam, Black Lightning, Mr Miracle, Killer Frost, Batgirl (Barbara Gordon), Bat Woman, Wonder Girl (Donna Troy) (Cassandra Sandsmark), Fire, Ice, Jenny Quantum, Deadman, Green Lantern (Alan Scott) (Kyle Rayner), Mary Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr, Two-Face , Steel (John Henry Irons) (Natasha Irons), Circe, Animal Man and Flash (Jesse Quick) (Wally West) (Bart Allen) (Jay Garrick). I will most likely pick one Flash to focus on and drop the rest which is disheartening but that will most likely occur.

8 Replies Related Threads

Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7806
    • Ribbons : 30
    Re: Who are your favorite comic characters? Comic recommendations as well 2017/07/31 09:12:41 (permalink)

People are, well, only Human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in america. -James Inhofe

Use any of the codes below for a free hug and a high five! Much love to all you wonderful nerds!
    Associate: 5L1LJB5JQ94H892 Affiliate Code: QRXQKO8ZJS

Doubles
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1953
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Who are your favorite comic characters? Comic recommendations as well 2017/08/02 04:35:31 (permalink)
    Chrome-M-Dragon

This.

I actually found an old comic when moving last year. It's the one where he killed off the fantastic 4.

PC: i7 5930K// MSI Gaming 7//4x4 HyperX Predator 3000// MSI GTX 980ti// EVGA Supernova G2 1000w// Samsung 950 PRO m.2// Thermaltake Core P5 case// Dell S2716DG
    WC Setup:  XSPC Raystorm red// Blackice Nemesis 480 red rad// Monsoon hardline blood red// XSPC photon 270 res red// Uber D5 pump red
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Who are your favorite comic characters? Comic recommendations as well 2017/08/02 04:40:05 (permalink)
    I'm a fan of the very old late sixties and seventies Captain Marvel. Not the woman Captain Marvel you see now in the comics but the one who died of cancer. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

TIKsc5149
    Re: Who are your favorite comic characters? Comic recommendations as well 2017/08/15 00:15:31 (permalink)
    I also want to ask, are the novelizations of Star Wars largely superior to the Dark Horse Comics? I would choose one over the other.
    jasonedokpa
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Who are your favorite comic characters? Comic recommendations as well 2017/08/15 20:04:34 (permalink)
    Wolverine and Spiderman are the best! 
    TIKsc5149
    Re: Who are your favorite comic characters? Comic recommendations as well 2017/08/16 02:09:06 (permalink)
    jasonedokpa
    Wolverine and Spiderman are the best! 

Out of every popular Marvel character, I would only consider buying X-23. Should I make that investment if I only want to read her solo stories? 
    Athena
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 328
    Re: Who are your favorite comic characters? Comic recommendations as well 2017/08/16 06:56:36 (permalink)
    I know Marvel ha old comic subscription service so you can catch up on your reading at a low price.  I am not sure but DC may have that as well.  I collected comics for years back in the 80's and 90's and sadly I do not have much in value.  I did for awhile but I also had a baby sister find my stash.  tens of thousands of dollars destroyed.  ^_^
    TIKsc5149
    Re: Who are your favorite comic characters? Comic recommendations as well 2017/08/16 16:39:37 (permalink)
    Athena
    I know Marvel ha old comic subscription service so you can catch up on your reading at a low price.  I am not sure but DC may have that as well.  I collected comics for years back in the 80's and 90's and sadly I do not have much in value.  I did for awhile but I also had a baby sister find my stash.  tens of thousands of dollars destroyed.  ^_^

Yeah, DC currently does not have any subscription service; but that could change when they launch their future streaming service. If they do combine comic books with the Netflix inspired subscription then I will temporarily subscribe.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile