EVGA

What is the best type of drill bit to drill screw holes in a "powder coated steel chassis"

Author
yaggaz
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1509
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2022/01/19 15:08:23 (permalink)
 Have the Phanteks P400a.  Never have drilled through a PC case before.  What is the best bit for it and do you need to worry about filings falling/flying into the Motherboard/PCBs?  Thanks.

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||

9 Replies Related Threads

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11094
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: What is the best type of drill bit to drill screw holes in a "powder coated steel chas 2022/01/19 15:28:36 (permalink)
    I would say a new sharp bit would be a good start.
    You can hit it where you want to drill with a prick-punch so it's dimpled to help stop bit from walking.
    Go slow with the bit, not full speed.
    Also you can use duct tape on both sides and drill through so the metal chips do not fall on the board.
    The chips will stick to the tape. Hold a piece of paper or cardboard under where drilling to catch the chips too.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: What is the best type of drill bit to drill screw holes in a "powder coated steel chas 2022/01/19 16:31:49 (permalink)
    You should use HSS Hi-Molybdenum bits and you can find them at your local Home Depot/Lowes and, while there, pick up a small can of cutting oil.  If you can’t get cutting oil, any light oil you have laying around will suffice.

Mark the spot you want to drill and use a center punch.  Start with a bit half the size you want for the hole to make a pilot hole.  Dip the end of the bit in the oil, drill the hole slowly.  As mentioned above, take your time and don’t overheat the bit.  Then move to the size bit you want for the hole and repeat.

The tape trick works, but with the tape, you can use your shop vac at the same time to catch anything flying off.  You are probably going to have to file some rough edges at the exit hole.

Having done mods on cases and other things, I personally would not do this with the anything in the case.  I tend to try to error on the side of caution since learning the hard way.

Hope this is helpful.

nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11233
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: What is the best type of drill bit to drill screw holes in a "powder coated steel chas 2022/01/19 20:51:45 (permalink)
    Any PC case on earth that has steel, will be mild steel... also known as chineseium.  Its a step above aluminum (and even that is debatable)  Any drill bit will work.  But as others have mentioned newer drill bits will work better than dull ones, as well as a punch to prevent the bit from walking.  As for chips using a shop vac while drilling will help, but nothing beats gravity.  Ensure that whatever you are drilling is below the motherboard so it doesnt fall down, so rotate the case accordingly.  Best practice will always be not to mod a case with a motherboard in it.  

If the hole is larger, try a step bit.  They are many bits in 1.  I know it's scary to drill into a case for the first time, but once you get your feet wet, you will look back and laugh at this thread.  Good luck! 
    Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: What is the best type of drill bit to drill screw holes in a "powder coated steel chas 2022/01/20 03:46:24 (permalink)
    nateman_doo
    I know it's scary to drill into a case for the first time, but once you get your feet wet, you will look back and laugh at this thread.  Good luck! 

Also, once you start, you'll start thinking and tinkering with other mods for your cases.  If you don't already have them, the next thing you know you'll be looking at Dremel tools and drill presses.

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11094
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: What is the best type of drill bit to drill screw holes in a "powder coated steel chas 2022/01/20 08:46:08 (permalink)
    Flint 1760
    nateman_doo
    I know it's scary to drill into a case for the first time, but once you get your feet wet, you will look back and laugh at this thread.  Good luck! 

Also, once you start, you'll start thinking and tinkering with other mods for your cases.  If you don't already have them, the next thing you know you'll be looking at Dremel tools and drill presses.

Tin snips do wonders on my cases!

Also knowing what size hole he needs will make a difference on what drill bit to use.
    If you need a 3/4 in hole for a tubbing use a step drill with the tape and a vacuum.
    Or if you know someone with a hole knock out tool. Maybe an electrician friend may have one.
    A bigger hole would use a hole saw or tin snips.
    Auto parts store has edge guard to cover the edge and make it safe and look good.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

yaggaz
    FTW Member
    Re: What is the best type of drill bit to drill screw holes in a "powder coated steel chas 2022/01/20 12:46:27 (permalink)
    Wow those Hi-Molybdenum bits don't come cheap, but guessing they're worth it.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.  A plan is in action.

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: What is the best type of drill bit to drill screw holes in a "powder coated steel chas 2022/01/20 21:20:16 (permalink)

Moved to Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Nozler
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2043
    Re: What is the best type of drill bit to drill screw holes in a "powder coated steel chas 2022/01/22 13:50:15 (permalink)
    He heh good luck I once drilled into a psu and I told myself be careful there's a psu back there and did it anyway.  That plan was laid to rest along with All my adrenaline 😆A little anger management was in order
    yaggaz
    FTW Member
    Re: What is the best type of drill bit to drill screw holes in a "powder coated steel chas 2022/01/22 18:59:19 (permalink)
    Nozler
    He heh good luck I once drilled into a psu and I told myself be careful there's a psu back there and did it anyway.  That plan was laid to rest along with All my adrenaline 😆A little anger management was in order

Oh geez   Ha.  Only funny in hindsight right? lol

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile