EVGA

AnsweredWhat gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies?

Author
fbm211
  • Total Posts : 58
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/10/09 13:30:16 (permalink)
Just wondering what Gauge my cables are for my Super Nova 1000 G+.  I want to possibly use some Extensions as the EPS cables might not reach the mobo inputs in a Meshify 2 XL case. And Nice PCIe cables too. I am really hoping they used 16 Gauge to match the 16 Gauge cables I have.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49164
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/10 03:27:40 (permalink)
18 gauge on that psu.
fbm211
  • Total Posts : 58
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/10 08:58:27 (permalink)
Well then ,that's unfortunate. I will try to sell it open box then since I have not used it yet. Or get 16 AWG cables from another company or just sell and get a PSU from a company that knows what their doing with 1000 watt power supplies'
Epal2Apol
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/10 14:47:30 (permalink)
18awg are good enough.  Each wire can carry 15Amps at 2Ft.  That's 180W per cable.  However the connector 6pin or 8 pin has a max current of 7(or 8) Amps per pin.  It's not the wire that you worry about but the connector.  

12G-P5-3967-KR   6/3/2021   12:16:53  PM  PT   YES
24G-P5-3987-KR   8/22/2021   8:42:12  AM  PT   No 

Patience is Virtue That I Don't Possess
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30974
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/10 14:51:37 (permalink)
fbm211
Well then ,that's unfortunate. I will try to sell it open box then since I have not used it yet. Or get 16 AWG cables from another company or just sell and get a PSU from a company that knows what their doing with 1000 watt power supplies'

The PSU's wires are sized correctly

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

phantomshroom
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 124
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/10 16:07:20 (permalink)
As a licensed electrician since '73, you guys are promoting BAD & WRONG info.
Here is an industry standard chart that explains PROPER current for 18 & 16 AWG : https://www.engineeringto...wire-gauges-d_419.html
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/10 16:21:54 (permalink)
phantomshroom
Here is an industry standard chart that explains PROPER current for 18 & 16 AWG : https://www.engineeringto...wire-gauges-d_419.html

that link for DC current ?

the load on any single wire ... "follow is 6-8 Amps per pin"

Intel specifications:  ATX Multi Rail Desktop Power Supply Design Guide

excerpt from Page 12, underline added for clarity

"Based on the amount of current that is needed to support a specific current (power)
level the guideline to follow is 6-8 Amps per pin. This is based on 18 AWG wire and a
solid connector pin. Based on this recommendation, here is how this can be applied to
the CPU power connectors:
• 12-16A support for 2x2 (4pin) connector
• 18-24A support for 2x3 (6pin) connector
• 24-32A support for 2x4 (8pin) connector
This recommendation is based on common design practice. PSU and system designer
may design or use differently and should be responsible for designing the PSU to meet
all electrical, thermal, safety and reliability requirements based on the application of
the PSU."

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

phantomshroom
Superclocked Member
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/10 16:56:26 (permalink)
We electricians use the NEC code book in North America & we have a site that we login to with our license info which I can't share here but the site I posted is for both AC/DC & if you want 12VDC specifically then drop down on that page & it brings you here: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

We are NOT authorized to rely on manufacturers data else we lose our license for life. We are instructed to only utilize our NEC codebooks. Back in the early days, an apprentice wired a friends home with 14/2 AWG NMD90 for their 15 AMP wall outlets which was correct & legal but then he used the same 14/2  for their 20 AMP outlets which was illegal because he was supposed to use 12/2 & because the house caught on fire due to his work he lost his license permanently. Larger wire gauge size (thicker which means smaller AWG #) has less voltage drop & sustains more current & propagates less heat through the system due to less resistance of the thicker wire.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21170
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/10 17:08:07 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2021/10/10 17:51:16
phantomshroom

What is wrong with those numbers?  Why does the amperage rating drop as number of strands ("cores") increases?  It should be opposite.  Skin-effect causes better conductance with more strands.  I could see you argue that 3 strands is worse than solid because of all of the gaps reducing the total cross-section of copper, but then as the number of strands increases, the gaps become smaller and smaller, the cross-sectional losses become minimized, and the benefits to conductance due to skin effect more than offset any cross-sectional losses.  But, in your chart, "43 and above" has an all-time-low amperage rating; which is just plain nuts.  In that respect, every chart I have ever seen is opposite of the chart you posted.  Makes me not really trust any of those numbers.

Computer components are manufactured and certified to industry standards, not to engineeringtoolbox standards.  EVGA used the correct size wire per the industry standards EVGA is accountable to.

Some may argue that the industry standards are way overkill.

post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/10/10 17:53:34

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/10 17:54:54 (permalink)

phantomshroom
We electricians use the NEC code book in North America & we have a site that we login to with our license info which I can't share here but the site I posted is for both AC/DC & if you want 12VDC specifically then drop down on that page & it brings you here: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

We are NOT authorized to rely on manufacturers data else we lose our license for life. We are instructed to only utilize our NEC codebooks. Back in the early days, an apprentice wired a friends home with 14/2 AWG NMD90 for their 15 AMP wall outlets which was correct & legal but then he used the same 14/2  for their 20 AMP outlets which was illegal because he was supposed to use 12/2 & because the house caught on fire due to his work he lost his license permanently. Larger wire gauge size (thicker which means smaller AWG #) has less voltage drop & sustains more current & propagates less heat through the system due to less resistance of the thicker wire.

yes, I've use the NFPA 70®: National Electrical Code® before, many times professionally

The load is only 6-8 Amps per pin - by design --> seems you are missing that little fact

For clarity:  My EVGA 1200 Watt GPUs use 18 GA AWM wire .. and run 24/7 ... no issue after years of heave use

Yep, those breakers are not a safety device if the wire is glowing before they trip.

That apprentice - is luck they did not go to jail or get sued all the way to the poor house ...

phantomshroom
Superclocked Member
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/10 18:04:58 (permalink)
Every  reputable PSU manufacturer out there uses stranded versus solid wire for its cabling due to a variety of industry guidelines.
Stranded wires are better at handling bending, twists, etc. & are more flexible than solid wires.
Solid wires (NO CORES) are more resistant to corrosion & can sustain much higher current than stranded & have less resistance & voltage drops than stranded which helps produce LESS heat in the cables than stranded but repeated movement/vibrations/bending will break the solid wire which is why it is better to use stranded in computer PSU.

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21170
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/10 18:43:01 (permalink)
phantomshroom
Solid wires (NO CORES) are more resistant to corrosion & can sustain much higher current than stranded & have less resistance & voltage drops than stranded which helps produce LESS heat in the cables than stranded ...

I feel like you didn't read what I wrote.  Also, the illustration you provided purposely exaggerates your point.  Your illustration exaggerates the gaps and reduces the strand count to only 8.  The chart you linked to goes up to 43 strands, but the number it gives for "43 and above" "cores" seems way wrong.

As I stated, I agree when talking about low strand counts, but as the strand count increases, the size of the gaps in the cross-section become smaller and smaller, and the benefits of surface area (skin-effect) more than offsets any losses due to the small gaps in the cross-section.  In essence, it is a process of comparison of area versus surface area.  A high number of strands has high surface area and only a small reduction in area.  A high number of strands is better at conducting electricity than a single strand.

This is what your chart looks like:

This is what it should look like:

At 43 (and more) strands, I would expect it to be way beyond the point that an upward swing is evident.

And to be fair, none of this is very relevant.  As said by Epal2Apol, at either 18 gauge or 16 gauge, the current limitation is the connector pins themselves; by a significant amount.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/10/10 19:00:03

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

phantomshroom
Superclocked Member
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/11 05:34:17 (permalink)
Cool GTX

The load is only 6-8 Amps per pin - by design --> seems you are missing that little fact

For clarity:  My EVGA 1200 Watt GPUs use 18 GA AWM wire .. and run 24/7 ... no issue after years of heave use

That apprentice - is luck they did not go to jail or get sued all the way to the poor house ...

No I did not miss that but was trying to help explain why the OP wanted thicker (16AWG) wires because they can handle much more current & prevent the PSU protection circuits from tripping in the event of an overload/short.

@ ty_ger07, I am NOT being disrespectful to you because I did read your full posts but what I was trying to explain is that thicker wire is safer.

Example only: If you have 3 sets of bundled cables (not the flat design) 22AWG/18AWG/16AWG & you run 10-15 Amps through them, the 22AWG will most likely get very hot & catch fire. The 18AWG will get hot but won't catch fire hopefully. The 16AWG will stay warm & no chance of catching fire.  What I am trying to explain is that thicker wire is not only safer but also causes less voltage drops & less resistance & can pass higher current.
These electrical facts can be validated by EVERY electrical engineer/electrician on this planet.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/11 09:55:43 (permalink)
No one disagrees that larger GA wire (physically larger diameter conductor - smaller GA number) can carry more current with less voltage drop ... we are talking <30 Inches not 100 feet

See link:  https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?faqid=59690

850 Watt to 1300 Watt (13 Amps models) .... use a 16 AWG cord from the wall to the PSU .....that cord is 5 to 6 feet long

So why would you - NEED 16 GA individual wires - for the gang sockets - on the DC side ?

Economics is Second only to safety .... larger is better to the point where there is no reasonable benefit

1300 W /120V = ~ 11 Amps ..... wall power cord is rated @ 13 Amps .... you want all the cords to be 12 AWG ... "because it is better"

Do you wire all your 15 Amp circuits in a home with 12/2 or better yet 10/2 because its better than 14/2 ?  

After all a circuit in a home can be well over 100 feet in length .... of course not --> economics says ---> you do not exceed the minimum required safety standard as required by law

EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: What gauge wire does EVGA use for their power supplies? 2021/10/18 14:57:44 (permalink)
Just going to point out here that each power supply uses different gauge wire for different power connectors.  A/C, 24pin, PCIe, ATX/EPS, and SATA/Molex all have different requirements, and some of those requirements change depending on the maximum wattage of the power supply.  It's not a one-size fits all sort of answer.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile