What PSU to get and why

Author
Nec_V20
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 139
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2017/07/21 04:37:15 (permalink)
I spent a lot of time thinking about the title of the thread and eventually it boiled down to what I chose. Having chosen it, it does look a bit click-baity but if you read what I have to say then you will see that the title accurately describes what I am going to be talking about.

First of all, in my experience, the overwhelming majority of people don't know anything about PSUs. In most cases the PSU is pretty much the last thing that people buy with the pennies they have left over from buying the bling in their system.

To start off with, 650 Watts on a PSU (and I am going to be using 650 Watts continuously in this post) refers to what the PSU can supply to your system, NOT what it can maximally draw out of the wall socket. This is important to note for later.

Another thing which I have seen time and time again is that people think that because they are building a gaming rig they need a "gaming class PSU" and this would mean 850 or so Watts. This is not only false, it is just a colossal waste of money in the overwhelming amount of cases.

I know, I know, if you look at the specs of my machine you will say, "You are a hypocrite", look at the PSU you are using in your system. Well I had a reason for using the PSU I did over and above the Wattage rating of the PSU and also, when I was building my rig, you just could not get Platinum rated PSUs in the 650 watt class which didn't cost a lot more than the one I chose (and I got a really good deal on it). I think back in the day there was only one Platinum rated 650W PSU and that was from Seasonic and it was not available for sale in the UK. So with postage and VAT added it would have cost over twice as much as the AX860 I chose. This is now the second system the AX860 has been running in.

One thing to watch out for like a hawk is whether or not the PSU is rated for 650 Watts continuous use or if the 650 Watts is the peak value. If it says "650 Watts peak" then technically it can be called a 650 Watt PSU but in reality it is more like a 500-550 Watt PSU. If you go for the ultra cheap, what I would call an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) instead of a PSU, unit then whatever you see written on the box is basically a lie - it will not have the energy efficiency it claims and will not be able to output the wattage it is advertised as, never mind that it is completely unsafe to use.

The PSU is the single most important component of your computer build that you will buy. And when I say single most important component I mean by a long way.

The PSU is the only component of you computer build which can destroy other components in your computer if you cheaped out on it. And I am not just talking about power surges, you can have the system running for a time without any power surges and the cheap PSU will still destroy your components. I use the word "will" instead of "could" advisedly.

So the PSU is the FIRST thing you should buy when building your computer and not the LAST thing you buy as an afterthought.

The efficiency of the PSU is simply the amount of power in watts it needs to draw from the AC wall socket to convert it to a given DC wattage your system needs.

As a rule of thumb all PSUs will be at their peak efficiency at half their rated wattage +/- about 8% (let's for the sake of convenience call it 10% for the later discussion).

You can easily run a normal gaming rig off a 650 Watt PSU. If you look at the specs of my machine below I could have it running full whack and still have headroom left over if I used a 650 Watt PSU instead of the 860 Watt unit I have in it. Now obviously if you have a custom cooling loop with pumps and all the rest and are running two graphics cards then you would need to step up to something like an 850 Watt unit.

With the CPU boosted to 4.4GHZ, under load, my system documented in the signature below will draw 509 Watts from the PSU. So I would have quite a lot of headroom if I were running it off a 650 Watt PSU.

If you take a look at the prices of the PSUs here on the site you will see that a Platinum rated 650 Watt PSU costs exactly the same as a Gold rated 750 Watt PSU.

With my system under load I would be at 78% of the capacity with a 650 Watt PSU, with the Gold rated 750 Watt PSU I would be at 68%. In both cases I would be beyond the sweet spot, but I would still be in the same category of measurement (20%, 40%, 60%, 80%). I have the efficiency figures for both of the EVGA PSUs from JonnyGuru and it works out as:

750 Watt Gold = 90%
650 Watt Platinum = 90.5%

As you can see, at full load of my system the 650 Watt Platinum PSU is still 0.5% more efficient than the 750 Watt Gold PSU.

The 750 Watt Gold PSU would be drawing 566 Watts from the wall socket
The 650 Watt Platinum PSU would be drawing 562 Watts from the wall socket.

It may not be a lot, but considering that you are paying exactly the same amount of money for the two PSUs it means that from the minute you start using your system you will be saving money on electricity with the 650 Watt Platinum PSU.

When both of the PSUs are in their sweet spot (around 299 - 351 Watts for the 650 Watt Platunum and 345 - 405 Watts for the 750 Watt Gold) the efficiency is
750 Watt Gold 90.5%
650 Watt Platinum 91.6%

They overlap in their highest efficiency at 350 Watts so the draw from the wall socket would be:

The 750 Watt Gold PSU would be drawing 387 Watts from the wall socket
The 650 Watt Platinum PSU would be drawing 383 Watts from the wall socket.

It's not much, but under all circumstances the 650 Watt Platinum PSU would be saving me money if it were running in the system you can see my the signature below rather than the 750 Watt Gold unit.

This is based on the 115V AC power used in the US. In the UK where it is 240V AC the efficiency would be even higher.

The main thing to consider (and in the above example both the 650W and 750W models are equal) is ripple suppression.

Ripple is the measure of how cleanly the power is supplied to the hardware components and a PSU which has excessive ripple can damage your system. Especially the graphics card is sensitive to excessive ripple.

Above and beyond everything else, the ripple suppression of the PSU is the mark of its quality. If you are choosing a PSU look to see if there is an independent review of it and then pay particular attention to how well the PSU does at ripple suppression.

Bad ripple suppression will (not can) also lead to games crashing or even your system experiencing BSODs when under load.
post edited by Nec_V20 - 2017/07/21 12:38:52

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 Watt, Case: Phanteks EVOLV X, Mobo: GigaByte X570 AURUS Master, CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X, GPU: Powecolor Red Devil 6900XT, RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team Group CL16, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, Boot-drive: Team Group 1TB M.2, Fans: 7 x Phanteks T30 120mm, HD: 5*WD 14TB, 2*WD Blue 2TB M.2 SSD (Games), Keyboard: DasKeyboard 4 MX-Blue, Mouse: Logitech G903, Monitor: ASUS PB287Q (2160p 60 Hz); LG 32GK850F-B (1440p 144 Hz)

18 Replies Related Threads

O ciN
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/07/22 22:45:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for this info. I'm definitely going to keep this in mind for when I buy my PSU for my new build. :)
    Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/07/23 05:23:43 (permalink)
    O ciN
    Thanks for this info. I'm definitely going to keep this in mind for when I buy my PSU for my new build. :)

One thing I forgot to add is that the cleaner (lower ripple) the PSU can supply the power, if you are overclocking, the less energy you will need to supply to achieve that overclock; this means that your overclock temperatures will be lower if the power supply is cleanly supplying the power than if the PSU has a high ripple.

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 Watt, Case: Phanteks EVOLV X, Mobo: GigaByte X570 AURUS Master, CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X, GPU: Powecolor Red Devil 6900XT, RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team Group CL16, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, Boot-drive: Team Group 1TB M.2, Fans: 7 x Phanteks T30 120mm, HD: 5*WD 14TB, 2*WD Blue 2TB M.2 SSD (Games), Keyboard: DasKeyboard 4 MX-Blue, Mouse: Logitech G903, Monitor: ASUS PB287Q (2160p 60 Hz); LG 32GK850F-B (1440p 144 Hz)
    O ciN
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/07/23 19:15:43 (permalink)
    How can I check for the cleanness of my PSU's power? This seems like something to consider
    Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/07/24 19:05:35 (permalink)
    O ciN
    How can I check for the cleanness of my PSU's power? This seems like something to consider

The best place to go is the site JonnyGuru.com. It is the most trusted site for PSU reviews, and the site exhaustively tests PSUs. The site also doesn't really test much aside from Power Supply Units and ripple testing is one of the main things they do.

maxfly
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/08/16 15:58:21 (permalink)
    O ciN

you need to get a digital multimeter and check the 12v 5v and 3.3v rails. the 12v is the one you need to be concerned with. the 5v and 3.3v rails dont supply much if any power these days. if you see your voltages bouncing up and down you have ripple. if not you dont.

always consult johnny gurus site for help if you have a psu in mind but cant find info on it.

I7 8086K- MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC-2x GTX 980 TI
    4x8GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000c19
    Samsung 500GB 960 EVO NVMe M.2
    WD Blue 1TB- EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    Thermaltake X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
    EK Supremacy EVO Nickel- EK-FC980 GTX TI x2
    XSPC RX360- HWLabs SR2 420- HWLabs GTR 240

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/08/17 00:24:49 (permalink)
    Nec_V20
    O ciN

The best place to go is the site JonnyGuru.com. It is the most trusted site for PSU reviews, and the site exhaustively tests PSUs. The site also doesn't really test much aside from Power Supply Units and ripple testing is one of the main things they do.

JonnyGuru.com is good but one of the founders of that website was hired by Corsair to write articles and be the forums PR guy for Corsair power supplies. Guess who JonnyGuru.com gave it's very first perfect 10 score to.... that's right a Corsair power supply.  

We need a hardware review site who only tests hardware sourced from online retailers, not hand selected samples sent to them by the mfg. If a mfg wants a review site to do a review, they should send them a gift card from Amazon, Newegg or another popular online retailer. That way it's a randomly select unit that will be tested.

Did you know the company that does the certification for 80 Plus, they only test hardware sent to them by the mfg. A company could send them a unit with higher quality components to meet the 80 Plus rating they want, while using lower quality components in the units they send to retailers.

mike406
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 904
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/08/18 20:36:54 (permalink)
    MSim
    Nec_V20
    O ciN

JonnyGuru.com is good but one of the founders of that website was hired by Corsair to write articles and be the forums PR guy for Corsair power supplies. Guess who JonnyGuru.com gave it's very first perfect 10 score to.... that's right a Corsair power supply.  

We need a hardware review site who only tests hardware sourced from online retailers, not hand selected samples sent to them by the mfg. If a mfg wants a review site to do a review, they should send them a gift card from Amazon, Newegg or another popular online retailer. That way it's a randomly select unit that will be tested.

Did you know the company that does the certification for 80 Plus, they only test hardware sent to them by the mfg. A company could send them a unit with higher quality components to meet the 80 Plus rating they want, while using lower quality components in the units they send to retailers. 

AFAIK Jonny doesn't write reviews anymore to avoid bias. OklahomaWolf and Tazz on their site handle writing reviews and are still very reputable. Just because a Corsair unit was the first to receive a 10 doesn't really mean anything considering Jonny didn't even write the review...Corsair units are very good in their own right. They've given 10's to plenty of other deserving units as well such as the EVGA 1200 P2.
    post edited by mike406 - 2017/08/18 20:42:38

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/08/20 11:32:56 (permalink)
    mike406
    MSim
    Nec_V20
    O ciN

AFAIK Jonny doesn't write reviews anymore to avoid bias. OklahomaWolf and Tazz on their site handle writing reviews and are still very reputable. Just because a Corsair unit was the first to receive a 10 doesn't really mean anything considering Jonny didn't even write the review...Corsair units are very good in their own right. They've given 10's to plenty of other deserving units as well such as the EVGA 1200 P2.

Doesn't matter if he writes reviews or not, Jon Gerow is the founder of that review site. He uses the website name to promote Corsair products. He's the product manager for Corsair PSU's.

mike406
    SSC Member
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/08/20 21:12:31 (permalink)
    MSim

Doesn't matter if he writes reviews or not, Jon Gerow is the founder of that review site. He uses the website name to promote Corsair products. He's the product manager for Corsair PSU's.

If you'd like to provide an example of him directly promoting Corsair on his website above other manufacturers, go ahead as I didn't really see that at all. It's not too surprising to find someone working in the same field as the hobby they enjoy... His writers also have the capacity of free-thinking and coming to their own conclusions as they review products, so I fail to see any issue here.
    post edited by mike406 - 2017/08/20 21:16:27

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/08/21 00:22:13 (permalink)
    mike406
    MSim

If you'd like to provide an example of him directly promoting Corsair on his website above other manufacturers, go ahead as I didn't really see that at all. It's not too surprising to find someone working in the same field as the hobby they enjoy... His writers also have the capacity of free-thinking and coming to their own conclusions as they review products, so I fail to see any issue here.

If a person has ties to a place that reviews products for a company he works for. That can make people wonder if any collusion is going on. I find it weird that Jon Gerow uses jonnyguru user name on Corsair forums to answer Corsair customers questions or problems. How does that look to the general public.

mike406
    SSC Member
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/08/21 12:26:58 (permalink)
    MSim
    mike406
    MSim

If a person has ties to a place that reviews products for a company he works for. That can make people wonder if any collusion is going on. I find it weird that Jon Gerow uses jonnyguru user name on Corsair forums to answer Corsair customers questions or problems. How does that look to the general public.

So in other words, you're just speculating. Nice. And it's not really weird that he's called that on Corsair's forums, that's what people recognize him as. You're looking way too far into it. You sound young; if you ever get the opportunity to land a job with a large company that allows you to maintain and enjoy your freedoms/hobbies without corporate ties, maybe you'd understand and appreciate that.
    post edited by mike406 - 2017/08/21 12:40:27

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/08/21 12:55:45 (permalink)
    Please stay on Topic

You can start your own thread

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

greensoldierusa
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/08/28 21:49:22 (permalink)
    Nice read and thank you for taking the time to write it. I am looking for a PS at the moment and this info will help me a long way....

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/09/13 23:16:37 (permalink)
    always go with a good brand of PSU, weather they are from evga, seasonic, corsair or even some of the cooler master units. one good example of a brand that was tops then went down hill would be pc power and cooling, they got bought out and their psu's went to crap. my evga supplies have really been impressive, dead solid voltages, quality cables and connectors and even the attention to detail such as the way the labels are placed so no matter if the fan is on top or bottom the spec label is right side up, that shows they care about the product.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/09/18 00:09:13 (permalink)
    The one thing that you have to realise is that in the US the price for electricity varies enormously. For instance in New York State the price for electricity is six cents per kilowatt hour. So the difference in the numbers with regard to the cost of electricity I mentioned is pretty much negligible.

However in Hawaii the price per kilowatt hour is THIRTY FOUR CENTS!

Guess what, that little bit of saving of a 650 Watt Platinum vs. a 750 Watt Gold rated PSU mounts up to a lot of money at the end of the year in terms of electricity bills.

You don't pay for what the PSU delivers to the system, you pay for what it draws out of the socket.
    post edited by Nec_V20 - 2017/09/18 00:21:20

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/09/27 10:12:04 (permalink)
    Great write up Nec, you have a nice writing style! BR well deserved. 
    kaalrok
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/09/27 10:49:17 (permalink)
    This is really good information while looking for a power supply.  Thanks for posting!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: What PSU to get and why 2017/09/27 12:19:51 (permalink)
    notfordman
    Great write up Nec, you have a nice writing style! BR well deserved. 

+1

Thanks for Helping the EVGA Forum community and all who venture here lurking on the web

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile