EVGA

Weird crash only when using a USB audio(maybe any audio) device.

Author
Havokjb
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/03 08:53:08 (permalink)
Hello, for the last few months I've been experiencing full USB device Freeze up/ Disconnections that results in a computer freeze up that I have to restart to fix. This only happens when I have a USB audio device enabled and in use, especially more often when in voice chat like "Discord" or Google chrome up in the background playing music. (Haven't experimented with other audio devices too much, but don't notice the freeze or crash when other audio was being used.) I have all the correct drivers installed, though I don't think that should matter, as the Steelseries Siberia 800 headset I use installed its own drivers. Is there something with the x99 Classified MB that could be causing some kind of audio problem? I've also had this problem using a Skullcandy Plyr 2 wireless headset. It seems like anything online with audio can cause a crash, however if I disconnect all audio devices and have no sound, never get any crashes. (The crash should be described as only input devices stop working or freeze as they are, keyboard will not respond, any keystrokes will continue to act as they are pressed down, but video on the screen keeps playing, like I can watch a character in game continue moving in the direction I was going. Then the wifi disconnects and nothing will work until I restart the system. This usually happens about ~5mins into a game, but there have been cases where its taken longer, and sometimes happens back to back.) Here are full system and setup specs:

Case: Rosewill Thor V.2
MB: EVGA x99 Classified
CPU: i7-5820k @3.30Ghz
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB(4x4GB) 3200
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid 8GB
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe
PSU: EVGA 850w P2 Platinum

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144 Hz
Keyboard: Steelseries Merc Stealth
Mouse: Logitech G 502

Any thoughts on how to fix this would be appreciated, or if anyone has any idea whats going on, please let me know what I should try.
Feel free to ask questions if you need more info.. I have been troubleshooting this for months, never finding anything that could fix it.
post edited by Havokjb - 2017/08/03 09:51:14

6 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49166
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Weird crash only when using a USB audio(maybe any audio) device. 2017/08/03 10:56:10 (permalink)
    Are you running windows 10? Is your motherboard bios completely up to date? Does the issue improve when running your ram at 2133 MHz?
    Havokjb
    Re: Weird crash only when using a USB audio(maybe any audio) device. 2017/08/03 13:24:36 (permalink)
    Yes I have done recent updates and have the BIOS up from when I installed the M.2 SSD. Honestly I think it may be a conflict with the internet plan i'm on currently. Boingo wireless for military has been problem after problem since I started with them. Do you know anything about that conflicting with a Netgear A6100 USB adapter?  Maybe I asked in the wrong place. I'll start talking to Boingo support about it as well. I'll also try changing the RAM speeds and see if that helps, thank you.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Weird crash only when using a USB audio(maybe any audio) device. 2017/08/03 13:46:35 (permalink)
    Make sure you only have One sound driver installed

MB sound and Nvidia - (full GTX driver has a different sound driver) may have compatibility issues

Check in Device Manager - more than one sound driver installed ?

Seems you are not using speakers on your monitor through HDMI- headphones
    - Only install Driver for GPU and PhysX, (use Custom install), and use Clean install

Use DDU to uninstall current Nvidia driver for your system follow these steps

If your running any OC software for the GPU (regardless of brand)
    1a) Remove GPU OC software, Precision OCX,  --> Reboot

2) Display Driver Uninstaller, Safe Mode with Reboot - DDU

3) Install Nvidia driver, download from Nvidia ---> Do the install Offline --> With All background software OFF, even your Security software

Run the install as AdminOnly install Driver for GPU and PhysX, (using Custom install), and use Clean install

4) Reboot PC

5) Install Precision OCX, Run the install as Admin, Do the install Offline --> with All background software OFF, even your Security software

6) Reboot

7) Turn OFF the PC, pull the plug to PSU, hold power button down 30 sec (discharge the capacitors) plug it back in & reboot

8) Test

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Havokjb
    Re: Weird crash only when using a USB audio(maybe any audio) device. 2017/08/06 03:40:11 (permalink)
    Could it be something else? The WiFi adapter perhaps? Boingo wireless has NAT strict enforced with their service, would that cause problems with multiplayer games while also having other apps running: Discord, Twitch stream Etc..? 

I'm using a Netgear AC600 A6100 USB WiFi adapter, Boingo wireless for Military in the barracks. Anything I could try with this? I've been thinking of trying a different ISP.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Weird crash only when using a USB audio(maybe any audio) device. 2017/08/06 03:51:47 (permalink)
    If you are connecting your USB headset from the MB's rear I/O panel, try using your case's front USB panel.  That seemed to fix my issue when I has having headset troubles with the rear I/O panel.  Before you do this, just make sure one last time that your MB BIOS, chipset, USB and headset drivers are all up to date including windows.

I should also note, from time to time, I sometimes get my audio L and R reversed.  All I do is unplug and plug the USB back in while gaming which ends up fixing that issue.  Mind you, the headset I use is the Sennheiser PC363D as they have their own mini amp included which is part of the USB cable.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Weird crash only when using a USB audio(maybe any audio) device. 2017/08/06 04:45:49 (permalink)
    In post number 4 pay particular attention to the NVIDIA HD Audio that installs when you install the NVIDIA graphics driver. That sure that is not installed.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile