Warranty check by serial number - 2nd hand mobo

Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18915
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2021/11/11 12:30:28 (permalink)

There is a page available where you can enter your product serial number and will be given the remaining warranty period on the item:
https://www.evga.com/warranty/check.asp

I recently RMA'ed my Z490 Dark KingPin motherboard due to a faulty post code display (I am the original owner). I would not have bothered with the RMA except I want to sell the motherboard now, so it should be fully functional. The serial number for the returned (malfunctioning) mobo shows 810 days remaining. I have just received the replacement board (thanks), but when I enter the new serial number at the above link, instead of showing how many days left, I get a message saying;

PN: 131-CL-E499-KP
Warranty Length: 3 Year('s)
Warranty Status: *
We are unable to determine the warranty for the Serial Number. Please contact Customer Service for help.

The new board is registered automatically by EVGA and is listed under 'my products' and shows 810 days warranty there.

I thought the warranty traveled with the serial number now, and the warranty for a second hand item reverts to the date it left the EVGA factory, which is probably around 800 days as well, but is there some different rule for RMA'ed products?

Can anyone tell me why I am seeing the above message, instead of the ~800 days?

Thanks.

p.s. I believe whoever buys it from me should register it using the Paypal invoice as the receipt, is that correct?

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

2 Replies Related Threads

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Warranty check by serial number - 2nd hand mobo 2021/11/11 13:29:32 (permalink)
    Good evening Nereus,

Here is the relevant part of https://www.evga.com/warranty/motherboards/ concerning RMA:  "Products shipped from EVGA as warranty replacements will be subject to this Transferable Limited Warranty, provided that the original Product was shipped from EVGA on or after July 1, 2011 and has a qualifying Transferable Limited Warranty suffix. Warranty replacements retain the limited warranty characteristics of the original Product, which will be used to determine the original purchase date and/or ship date."

Why the extra ten days, I do not know.  Unless there was a ten day gap from when they received your MB and shipped you the RMA, just a guess.

Nereus
    p.s. I believe whoever buys it from me should register it using the Paypal invoice as the receipt, is that correct?

They can or they just type up an invoice themselves that shows the transfer from you to them.  EVGA doesn't seem that picky about second-hand purchases, they basically just want a chain of custody showing the transfer and serial number.
    post edited by Flint 1760 - 2021/11/12 04:16:58

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18915
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Warranty check by serial number - 2nd hand mobo 2021/11/12 09:01:35 (permalink)
    Flint 1760
    Good evening Nereus,

Here is the relevant part of https://www.evga.com/warranty/motherboards/ concerning RMA:  "Products shipped from EVGA as warranty replacements will be subject to this Transferable Limited Warranty, provided that the original Product was shipped from EVGA on or after July 1, 2011 and has a qualifying Transferable Limited Warranty suffix. Warranty replacements retain the limited warranty characteristics of the original Product, which will be used to determine the original purchase date and/or ship date."

Why the extra ten days, I do not know.  Unless there was a ten day gap from when they received your MB and shipped you the RMA, just a guess.
    Nereus

They can or they just type up an invoice themselves that shows the transfer from you to them.  EVGA doesn't seem that picky about second-hand purchases, they basically just want a chain of custody showing the transfer and serial number.

Thanks for clarification. Still strange that when I enter the serial number in the warranty check page, it gives me that message about being unable to determine warranty remaining. I'll contact EVGA and see what is up with that.

sigh.. contact page not working.. hit submit, nothing happens.

post edited by Nereus - 2021/11/12 09:09:46

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile